expoEM Bracknell, 18-19 May 2013

Gee Vee

Just tried again after a PC reboot and checking Adobe is up to date - it still falls over with the above error message in IE10 and in Firefox 20.0.1, it will not save except as a corrupted pdf file.

I really do not understand why life has to be made so complicated? This is a simple web site so what is wrong with simply putting the image on the site as a linked page or as a simple image file? I do understand the idea of a pdf is so that it can be downloaded and printed off at home to bring with you. But if it isn't even readable sort of defeats all the effort, there is clearly some, in putting it together in the first place.

The show guide works fine for me in all browsers I have tried, including Firefox. Maybe a local problem for Kenton alone?

Making a downloadable guide is a really good idea - more shows ought to go this route.

• RMweb Premium

The show guide works fine for me in all browsers I have tried, including Firefox. Maybe a local problem for Kenton alone?

Making a downloadable guide is a really good idea - more shows ought to go this route.

Not just Kenton. Pete & myself have the same problem and if three of us have, I guess others will be the same.

It doesn't seem to be a browser issue if others have managed a succesful download on the same browsers but there is certainly something wrong somewhere. 

Unless it is sorted it looks as if I will have to wait until Friday afternoon to find out where abouts in the hall we are!

Tony

I agree it is a good idea but only if it works universally.

An image on the site is simple and doesn't depend on fancy 3rd party gadgets. Probably everyone knows how to look at an image and print a web page. Downloading a pdf is dependent on the pdf file being correctly structured to be read by current versions of Adobe reader; requires it to be available from an open library on the server; requires it to pass through standard anti-virus implementations; requires it to download unchanged and saved on the client PC from a correctly formed link; available through all browsers with standard options set in any approved form. All very complicated.

Although I'm willing to blame my security settings for most things and it is oftem me that seems to report these things first ... in this case this is not just me.

As said it will not stop me enjoying the show, but it doesn't help as much as a guide would to making it that much more hassle free.

I agree it is a good idea but only if it works universally.

Quite agree.

And there must be something not right with it, as it is the only PDF on the EMGS site that refuses to download for me.

IT probs are not my bag.  Will forward report of problems to thems that know about such things and revert......  Odd that some can open and others cannot... It works for me.

Just realised I missed one of the exhbitors off the hotel list - not saying who - they were almost sleeping in their car for the weekend. lol

Graeme

Downloading the showguide works fine for me on PC and iPad. If you are having problems then the most likely explanation is that some piece of malware has hijacked your default setting for the application that opens PDF files. Check the Default Programs settings in your PC Control Panel.

The showguide is a very nice job. It's good to see more shows taking up this idea. I can't make it to expoEM unfortunately, but I hope that all goes well.

• RMweb Premium

Pete55 managed to alter his browser to Chrome, download a copy and email it to me and I can open it now as well.

I haven't altered my settings at all, so how come I couldn't open it before but I can now.

I did a stint as an IT software tester a few years ago. That would have been sent back as a fault!

Thanks for the goodwill message Derek. After setting the layout up last week there was almost a meltdown and a request to Graeme to allow us to bring something else to fill the space. The flipping thing did not want to play!

Hopefully sorted after many hours tinkering.

If it acts up again like that, it will end up in the car park, in the nearest skip. Mansfield Market Place, you have been warned!

Hopefully see a good number of RMWebbers there. Come and say hello. I will be the one behind Mansfield without a beard but with a permanently baffled expression!

Tony

If you are having problems then the most likely explanation is that some piece of malware has hijacked your default setting for the application that opens PDF files.

In my case just about impossible!

Still doesn't download correctly and still gives the error in IE10 as given above. Will not open and will not save. All other pdf files work fine. (local and remote - I have just downloaded a set of instructions from the Connoisseur Models site which opened in the browser (Firefox) and downloaded, saved and opened fine in Adobe) So the only difference is the pdf file.)

The fact that some can download it OK and others not only makes finding the problem more difficult. At this late stage it is probably not worth losing sleep over, it is not the end of the world or even some significant part of it. Just put the effort into making this another excellent show.

bare with.... we are trying to sort, delayed as a consequence of my colleague having a few days away who knows about such matters.....

More importantly I regret to announce that for personal reasons John Brighton will not be able to do his demo over the weekend on modelling block instruments (as featured in recent article in MRJ).  But I am pleased to say that he will come on Sunday to do his lecture on that subject so if this is of interest, or you just want to catch up with John then try to come of expoEM on the Sunday rather than Saturday.

Also - somehow or another I managed to miss Peter Sutherland's demo on producing signal box diagrams off the programme - no idea how that error crept thro' but we will endeavour to amend the programme on the website and fix the download issues.  Really sorry Peter - at least I remembered to ensure you have a bed for the night!!!!

See you all over the weekend

In my case just about impossible!

Still doesn't download correctly and still gives the error in IE10 as given above. Will not open and will not save. All other pdf files work fine. (local and remote - I have just downloaded a set of instructions from the Connoisseur Models site which opened in the browser (Firefox) and downloaded, saved and opened fine in Adobe) So the only difference is the pdf file.)

The fact that some can download it OK and others not only makes finding the problem more difficult. At this late stage it is probably not worth losing sleep over, it is not the end of the world or even some significant part of it. Just put the effort into making this another excellent show.

I had difficulty downloading in IE10 after clicking on the link and while RMWeb was still open. I closed RMweb and the download worked okay. :scratchhead:

Gents,

Late last night the original PDF was replaced with a new one created from the same original InDesign CS5 file. The link from the Home Page was rebuilt and the download extensively tested. However I must add that I've not had  issues with downloading at any time since I put the show guide on the website. The only thing I didn't try was IE10 as I do not have any PC with it loaded.

Firefox 20.0.1, IE9 and IE8 were all tested since the work last night and I've not encountered any issues. 

Look forward to seeing you all at the show.

Steve Young

EMGS Newsletter Editor.

Late last night the original PDF was replaced with a new one created from the same original InDesign CS5 file.

Sorry just tested in IE10 and still the same message

2013-05-14_214038.jpg

Firefox 20.0.1 doesn't display the error message just displays a blank pdf page.

[Ed] Ouch then times out and crashes with an error trashing the the browser!

2013-05-14_215310.jpg

However don't pursue that on my account I have been emailed a copy which seemed to open OK in Adobe(I actually had several offers - once again thanks to all) My bet is on the InDesign CS5 program or some server issue.

Lets draw a close to the business of the download chaps - We've done what we can and will do no more.  free copies will be available on arrival.

On far more important matters those with continued interest in the premier league and the Div 1 play offs (or in my case both!!) will be pleased to know the leisure centre bar has sky so will be covering both thro Sunday afternoon....  Dont expect much sense out of me from 1.30 on sunday.........  Im supporting Brentford, Everton and Sunderland in addition to the Pride of London.

Graeme

• RMweb Premium

One quick question to Kenton. Are you going? Or are you thinking of going depending on the line up?

If you are going then a downloaded show guide is not needed as once you are there it does not matter what is there.

I can understand if you are thinking of going how frustrating it must be not knowing what is on show.

By the way the show guide looks good.

See you all on Sunday.

I wish I was going, and downloading the guide makes me want to go more, so I wish it hadn't worked for me! I'd love to see Maidstone Road again, as I had a hand in the the events that lead to it being built, and we ran it connected to my EM layout at several local exhibitions. Some of the stock ran on my layout at other exhibitions too, as I didn't have enough!

One quick question to Kenton. Are you going? Or are you thinking of going depending on the line up?

Going, it is so close to me (<5miles) it would be negligent not to attend. I used to do EM but gave up interest and switched back to OO among others. I still build the occasional EM kit.

The main purpose of a show guide is to locate the layouts and traders - I tend to have limited time at any show and the traders always come first. However I do like to get round them quickly to get some time for admiring the layouts. expoEM usually has a good selection of those.

As said the downloading is no longer a problem, several kind RMWebers PM'ed me offering to email a copy. So I now have one. But realising that there might well be a few visitors to the website who were not RMWebbers and probably trying to download the guide in vain, I continued to test it. (and as of this morning it still doesn't download) But it is too late now for this year and perhaps should be on the list for next year.

BTW. As the emailed pdf opens ok in Adobe I suggest it is not the file itself. But still getting the error in the Adobe plug-in for IE10 and Firefox it does suggest there is some conflict between the plug-in and/or access to the file on the emgs site?

Why go to expoEM and then watch footing the ball? I am sure that there will be much of far greater interest and importance in the exhibition hall.

Edited for punctuation!

Hear hear!  Our EMGS area group meeting last night was disrupted by people somehow contriving an interest in Chelsea v Benfica and yelling, I mean applauding, no I don't I mean yelling, far too loudly.  It used to be such a nice quiet pub and we could hardly hear ourselves ruminate!

Chris

Archived