Electric Locos 20001 -20003

slilley

I am currently doing some research on these three locomotives and have a couple or three questions about what happened to them after withdrawal in late 1968 and early 1969.

1. 20003 was towed from Brighton to Wimbledon on 15 December 1968. Does anyone know which loco towed it, and the route taken?

2. Which loco(s) towed 20001 and 20002 to Newport for scrapping? When was that? Were they taken together or seperately, and what was the route?

3. Which loco(s) towed 20003 to Kettering for scrap? When was that and what was the route?

Any other information anyone might have on these three locomotives is most gratefully received. I have checked all the main websites which have features on them btw.

Thanking you in advance for your help on this

Best wishes and Happy New Year

Simon

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

If I were arranging a loco-hauled trip from Brighton to Wimbledon, it would go from Brighton up the main line to Streatham Common, round the corner to Streatham, Tulse Hill, Herne Hill, Factory Junction, round the corner on the Down Ludgate Line to Clapham Junction Western, then down the Windsor Lines to East Putney and round to Wimbledon.

• 9 months later...

On the subject of the "Hornbys" - has any one made a kit in 4mm scale of one of these? Read an interesting account of a cab ride in one of these around 1957 the other day and I would like to get a model to run alongside my Spamcans.

XF I would be most greatful for any infomation on the model you constructed in terms of method of constructions and components used.

Many thanks

On the subject of the "Hornbys" - has any one made a kit in 4mm scale of one of these? Read an interesting account of a cab ride in one of these around 1957 the other day and I would like to get a model to run alongside my Spamcans.

XF I would be most greatful for any infomation on the model you constructed in terms of method of constructions and components used.

Many thanks

My 20001 is the MTK kit with lots of filing and filler to make it look reasonable. The chassis is a Hornby Class 92 chassis modified to fit with a DCC chip added.  The Pantograph is an old Jouef  one from a French electric, the centre steps and horns from are from American accessories and the round vent  on the cabs is a round headed pin!

This model was hard work as with all MTK kits and I I almost gave up on a couple of occasions.

When i exhibit my Croxley WRD layout to Show we often take this loco to run a "special" and it always attracts interest.

There is a guy in Cornwall who has made some better versions of this model however I am not sure if they are still available.

post-9506-0-97579800-1384171394_thumb.jpg

Nigel

Edited by Xerces Fobe2

Thanks to all for their advice and input. I am only just starting back in modelling in OO after a break of 15 years and not many loco kits have been available in Australia for the OO Modeller. Nice modelling there XF especially given what I read about some of the MTK kits as a teenager in Australia during the mid 1990's. Mike the image you put up is some fine work. Is this a one off model or are you planning to do a run of these?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Mike the image you put up is some fine work. Is this a one off model or are you planning to do a run of these?

All panels done. Once the various glitches have been sorted out, then hopefully it will be available as a set of high quality resin mouldings.

Mike.

• Like 7

I too would be most interested in a set of 20003 mouldings.

Going back to earlier comments, No Nonesense Kits were working on re-releasing the MTK 4mm scale versions but with a complete etched chassis which was on view at Scaleforum some years back. However, after the chap passed away, the MTK stuff went to Precision Paints but whether any will ever be re-released must be doubtful, bearing in mind the will-they/won't-they over Sharman Wheels.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We have a couple of brass MTK/No Nonsense wrappers for 20001/2 and 20003 for Balcombe,. I acquired these from Ebay two years(+) ago.

There will have to be a lot of scratchbuilding around them. IIRC we plan to use modified Bachman cl 40 chassis for them.

I've checked them against King drawings and they seem to be pretty much spot on for accuracy.

20001/2

post-6728-0-34473100-1384440390_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-06818000-1384440802_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-17865600-1384440816_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-25669400-1384440916_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-30548200-1384440944_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I had an MTK kit.. The brass used is the nearest thing to armour plate.  Good luck, keep the pictures coming.

Yes it is a bit thick. Much like the pair of their 2HAL wrappers that I have. I think that it must be made of 20thou!

My betting us that when Colin Massingham had some brass left over from his Elcrappo kits and used it for these locos. That was Colin all over he never took anything to seriosly however his range of products was amazing. Remember in the 1970's/80's there was not the ready to run models so despite some of there shortcomings MTK did allow modelers to have items that were just not available elsewhere.

Alastair Rolfe dramatically improved the some of the MTK products after he purchased the Colin's business from his widow. It is sad that both owners passed away at a relativly young age from similar illnesses I cannot help biut think that all the talc and metalic particles in the air, certainly in Colin's Stoke Road shop days may have played some part in their health issues.

It is a great ttestament to both of them that we are still discussing/running their models in 2013

I look forward to seeing a 20003 as this one loco which I have never seen a model of.

Nigel

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thought that the 2HAL wrappers might be of interest.

They certainly are of thick stuff. On reflection, the CC1/2/3s may have been Alastair's etches as they are from a thinner materiel.

These are 'punched' sides in certainly 20 thou. Again, checking with King, they seem to be pretty accurate dimensionally.

post-6728-0-67710700-1384509510_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-51368100-1384509532_thumb.jpg

post-6728-0-70904500-1384509543_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Some nice modelling there - out of curosity which lima coach did you use for the conversion?

They were each made using a Mk 1 around May - July 1981. Makes no difference which one.

Are you perhaps asking how it was make? If so then I could try to explain with the help of a couple of photos.

Cheers

Dave.