SR EMUs - Starting With BR 4TC and 2HAP

• RMweb Gold

I'm wondering whether that extra partition, where originally it created a small two-bay no smoking zone and 4+2+2 bays altogether, should go completely? The evidence suggests the DTSOs were 4+4 bays, can anyone confirm this?   BK

Looking good Brian.

I can confirm that the TC DTSOs were 4+4 bays.

Thanks 4630/Russ,

Yes, you're right about the partition removal, i've just done mine! I also removed the central blank partitions, since these should be glazed, and just replaced them with the innermost uprights. I've found a very nice little film on Youtube, that promotes the 1967 electrification, i've never seen this before, and it shows internal details and colours very well. I love the bit where the narrator says "at last you can see the scenery, now we've got rid of the smoke"! It is excellent for details of the original livery and especially the interior fittings and colours. Now i think the dominant colour inside the DTSO is the dark blue seat colour and dark flooring, so i could spray my seat units blue and pick out the end panels and central uprights in grey maybe?   BK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUT7TUAKegk

HI All,

You can actually see the set number on the solebar of the unit at 7min 12 secs, 3003 which is indeed a Rep. Great video, thanks for posting.

Cheers for now, Ian

That is an interesting detail about the REP and Crompton. At 2m25s an ED is hauling 2 4TCs one of which has a buffet car - I assume these were used in the 4TCs before going into REPs? I may have missed that detail before. Would it have been classified a BTC? One wonders if the operating department were just delighting in having everything inter-changable and inter-operable at last.

• RMweb Gold

That is an interesting detail about the REP and Crompton. At 2m25s an ED is hauling 2 4TCs one of which has a buffet car - I assume these were used in the 4TCs before going into REPs? I may have missed that detail before. Would it have been classified a BTC? One wonders if the operating department were just delighting in having everything inter-changable and inter-operable at last.

According to Blood and Custard;

http://www.bloodandcustard.com/bournemouth1966.html#IntoService

"The last eight 4TCs were delivered without their TFKs, 6 running as 3TC and 2 temporarily including TB and TBFK 4 REP trailers and classified as 4TB units, to get buffet vehicles into traffic earlier."

What a cracking piece of archive film.  Love it.

Here's a Replica Mk1 SK interior, cutting it in half provides a handy ready-made BSK, or in this case a 4TC TBSK, interior. I think the armrests will have to go, i'd better check that super 1967 film again, which also reveals the interior colour scheme. The other half won't be wasted,  it will be chopped a bit more and end up in a 2HAP DTC, those pics to follow.

Cheers, Brian.

post-298-0-15556800-1427232097.jpg

post-298-0-46251300-1427232126.jpg

post-298-0-91493200-1427232157.jpg

• RMweb Gold

If you were to paint those interiors with something a shade or three darker than that awful pink, you could probably get away with leaving the armrests in, because nobody is going to see them.

Archived