Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling a traditional parcels train

• 4 weeks later...

I want to put the lettering on a model of an ex-LMS 42' Bogie Utility Van shortly but I need to find pictures (preferably in colour) of ones in BR maroon livery. Can anybody point me in the right direction? All I can find so far are B&W shots of ones in LMS days and a couple in BR carmine in which the lettering is completely hidden under the dirt!

I want to put the lettering on a model of an ex-LMS 42' Bogie Utility Van shortly but I need to find pictures (preferably in colour) of ones in BR maroon livery. Can anybody point me in the right direction? All I can find so far are B&W shots of ones in LMS days and a couple in BR carmine in which the lettering is completely hidden under the dirt!

There are a couple on here: http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/lmsparcels/h157ec466#h16bb1e3

• 1 month later...

I am slightly kicking myself, or perhaps not that much after the cooling system of the car went pop yesterday & I had to send it to the garage.  At the Aylsebury Railex show the other weekend one of the traders had a lovely little Wrenn van which would have fitted nicely with my growing collection of parcels stuff, but I held off.

I don't know what it represented, but it was a wood-slated, diagonal-braced number in rather weathered BR blue.  I hope it found a good home as it was rather nice!

I am slightly kicking myself, or perhaps not that much after the cooling system of the car went pop yesterday & I had to send it to the garage.  At the Aylsebury Railex show the other weekend one of the traders had a lovely little Wrenn van which would have fitted nicely with my growing collection of parcels stuff, but I held off.

I don't know what it represented, but it was a wood-slated, diagonal-braced number in rather weathered BR blue.  I hope it found a good home as it was rather nice!

One of these perchance (top left) ?

http://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auction-catalogues/bushey-auctions/catalogue-id-2803795/lot-10042523

Brian R

Edited by br2975

Very similar, Brian, thank you for the link!  I did do a quick internet search after posting above and they seem to be around so when I am more pecunious I may invest!

Dapol now produce the once Wrenn ex-GW Fruit D. They can be got hold of as easily as a cheap suit.

Typical link here;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/251476180236?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&device=c&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

Thanks also to 'CHARD!  Having now discovered the car cooling system isn't just a hose it is probably also the thermostat it may be a bit longer than I thought before I can invest, but it's kind of you to show me where to go.

Another thought, westerner, thank you!  I have also been branching out into military modelling (a long story relating to not having sufficient space for a layout in my new home & my original layout being 45 minutes drive away at my family home) and was thinking about building some wagon kits as a different exercise.  As a bonus I have invested in an airbrush and have some RailMatch BR Blue so could get the look I was after :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Stumbled across this thread quite by accident and will go back to page one and read through as parcels trains are somewhat of a favorite.

In the mean time can anyone I.D. this? First-vehicle-in-train
First I thought it could be of Thompson origin but there's no narrow top lights. It's not a BR built GUV as it's clearly not a MK1 under frame.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Stumbled across this thread quite by accident and will go back to page one and read through as parcels trains are somewhat of a favorite.

In the mean time can anyone I.D. this? First-vehicle-in-train

First I thought it could be of Thompson origin but there's no narrow top lights. It's not a BR built GUV as it's clearly not a MK1 under frame.

Could be one of the CCT(E) converted from the Shenfield line stock in the early 50s

• Like 1

I have from my youth an old Hornby operating TPO carriage (the one that could pick up and drop off a mail bag (don't have that bit though!)) in blue/grey. Is this based on anything in the real world of parcel trains? Or would it just be a mistake to try and slip it in woth some mk1 BGs and GUVs?

Ta ta

• 2 weeks later...

I have from my youth an old Hornby operating TPO carriage (the one that could pick up and drop off a mail bag (don't have that bit though!)) in blue/grey. Is this based on anything in the real world of parcel trains? Or would it just be a mistake to try and slip it in woth some mk1 BGs and GUVs?

Ta ta

From your youth - depends how old you are :jester:

In any case the 'operating' part disfigures the whole thing somewhat - but if it's the LMS one then it's a reasonable starting point........

Edited for spelling

Edited by leopardml2341

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all those who commented above about my mystery wagon.   I picked up a SR CCT (for that it was) Parkside Dundas kit at New Cross last weekend and have got this far:

IMG_3063.JPG

It's fought me, and there's a way to go, but this has been a rather different way to build up the rake.  I've not built a wagon kit in something like 30 or 35 years!

Edit to add:

Any tips about good transfers for it?  Fox don't seem to do them, Railtech only have them in O, and Parkside Dundas only seem to do yellow.

Edited by C&WR
  • Like 2