Cowans Sheldon 75 Tonne Telescopic Breakdown Crane ADRC 96713 Scratchbuild - First run

Hi Everyone,

Its quite a while since I posted in any of these sections and thought I would update with my latest project. For a number of years, I had been intending to model the Cowans Sheldon Telescopic Crane which Network Rail still have a number of in use. Other projects got in the way, however, just before Christmas I managed to make a start.

I have made a number of the items removable for ease of painting, hence why I have managed to swing the stabilising arms out.

post-6834-0-33335500-1357248154_thumb.jpg

post-6834-0-83008800-1357248195_thumb.jpg

post-6834-0-41036400-1357248238_thumb.jpg

post-6834-0-55422300-1357248268_thumb.jpg

Further pictures can be found in my gallery.http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/gallery/album/2540-cowans-sheldon-75-tonne-crane-4mm/

As can be seen, I have quite alot of work ahead of me!

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon,

You have created a monster! That is a big beast isn't it? I have a bit of a soft spot for breakdown cranes too to I look forward to seeing this one develop. I will have to do a 50 ton LMS one so I will no doubt pick up a few tips here!

All the best,

Castle

Hi Simon,

Perhaps rather than modelling it clearing up a wreck as most people would, why not have it in a siding undergoing its annual lifting insurance exam? It would be a bit different, probably take up less room and would be a realistic little cameo scene...

All the best,

Castle

Hi Castle,

The idea you suggested is along the lines I was thinking off. My current plan is that this model will form part of a small stand alone diorama in its set up position but not a re-railing scene.
Once this one is done, I will then build a second as a model within a breakdown train formation for layout use.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Everyone,

Bit more progress tonight. Been working on the cab and it certainly requires some thought as there are plenty of angled panels on it.

post-6834-0-38274100-1357334848_thumb.jpg

post-6834-0-95302600-1357334914_thumb.jpg

The plastic strip visible in the first picture was fitted to give strength whilst forming the cab front, this was then cut where the recessed sliding door will be fitted.

Further to my comments regards a diorama and Castle's comments aswell, this picture taken at Springs Branch is the sort of effect I am after, but probably with the match wagons uncoupled and the stablising jacks in position.

http://www.wiganworld.co.uk/album/photo.php?opt=3&id=5219&gallery=Railways&offset=100

The crane I am intnending modelling will be the Springs Branch crane, so this location on the depot may be what I model...

Cheers

Simon

Simon,

Part 2 of my father's book on breakdown cranes is a mater of a couple of weeks short of publication.  It has a full drawing and a fair number of photos of these cranes.

It will be out by the Southampton show and maybe a tad before.  Keep and eye on Kevin Robertson's website (Noodle Books).

Simon,

Part 2 of my father's book on breakdown cranes is a mater of a couple of weeks short of publication.  It has a full drawing and a fair number of photos of these cranes.

It will be out by the Southampton show and maybe a tad before.  Keep and eye on Kevin Robertson's website (Noodle Books).

Hi,

Thanks for the info regards your father's book. I will certainly be purchasing a copy.

Cheers

Simon

Evening all,

Following on from my last update, the crane cab superstructure has now been completed. Also work on the mast body has progressed. Where the hydraulic rams connect to the jib, this has been built up, and also the rear of the jib the mounting point there has been progressed.

post-6834-0-87128900-1357593334_thumb.jpg

post-6834-0-84736900-1357593357_thumb.jpg

Work tomorrow will continue on the jib body and possibly the mounting runners for the ballast weights at the rear of the crane.

Cheers

Simon

Latest update, the runners for the ballast weights have now been fitted. As mentioned earlier in the thread some parts have been made moveable to aid painting. The ballast weights can be slid along the runners as per prototype. Further detail has also been added to the main jib body.

post-6834-0-01078900-1357680980_thumb.jpg

post-6834-0-48174200-1357681007_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

Hi Everyone,

Bit more progress today, fitted the radiator grill, this has been made using 10x30thou evergreen strip mounted onto some recessed plasticard. Also the box above this has also been fitted.

post-6834-0-56471400-1357768353_thumb.jpg

Also thinking of how to make the 'big hook', currently thinking of using brass rod bent and flattened to rough shape then finished with a file.

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon, your crane looks very good.

Its great to see someone else scratch building a crane. It has spurred me on to do some more on my crane but i need to get some detail pics first.

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your comments, from what I have seen already, your crane should be superb when finished, hopefully you will be able to locate some more reference information. Think going to do a 7mm version of this one at somepoint.

Cheers

Simon

That's looking excellent.

If you don't mind me asking, where did you source a plan from?

I was going to try and make a Hornby 75 tonner more realistic at some point but your crane has got me thinking....

Cheers

Mike

Hi All,

Thanks for the comments! Not been able to progress this over the weekend as I thought insulating the shed would be a better idea. This will give me a dedicated area to work rather than the kitchen table!

Progress will resume on the crane today however!

Thanks for reading!

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon, great work so far, your crane already looks rather impressive. I am looking forward to seeing it finished.

Are you planning to model it in BR period?

I like the way you say you will build another one later to be operational!

Hi Grimleygrid,

Thanks for your comments. It will be modelled in BR period, the running version means it will form part of a breakdown train and all parts fixed in position. I have had mad moments thinking of how to motorise it, think that might be more suited if I build a 7mm version to go with my 7mm class 56 (once I finish that aswell).

Cheers

Simon

Slow progress this week! Managed to do a little bit though. The inspection covers for the engine room have been fitted using 10 thou plasticard. I've also put the winding drum into position aswell, this is modified part from the Dapol 15T crane kit.

post-6834-0-76515800-1358457738_thumb.jpg

Thanks for reading.

Cheers

Simon

Archived