Cowans Sheldon 75 Tonne Telescopic Breakdown Crane ADRC 96713 Scratchbuild - First run

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments. Got a few hours free tomorrow so will hopefully be able to progress a bit further.

Alex, I have done 2 vehicles so far, both use Bachmann Mk1 BSK's as donors. The tool van has been done with thin brass sheet glued to the sides with the door positions cut out and additional underframe boxes. The staff coach uses the Hurst etched sides. I have tried to get the yellow finish slightly different between the 2, however in certain lights the staff coach has a very very slight greenish hue (maybe my eyes), so I may need to remove the transfers and give it another light yellow blast or leave as is and weather it with a yellow/white wash.These both need finishing, the staff coach has no interior or glazing yet.

Heres a picture of them coupled upto 37714.

post-6834-0-32440700-1380321099_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

PS for those that are interested, just found another clip on youtube, not as long or detailed though:

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Well after a break of several months with the crane build, I think its time to resume after looking at Phil's photographs above. Hopefully (famous last words as I planned on finishing this in Oct/Nov 2013) I will manage to get it sprayed into a coat of yellow paint shortly. Also need to finish of the Mk1 Tool and Staff coaches.

Cheers

Simon

Hi,

At last I have managed to start painting the crane. Tonight I have done the first coat of yellow to the bogies, crane underframe and the jib. Think I need to order more warning panel yellow. You may notice the wheels are still in situ on the bogies, basically I built the primary suspension units too close to the etched wheelset units and cannot now release the wheels, doh!

post-6834-0-85099600-1392673322_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

Hi Everyone,

Bit more painting done, but have now exhausted my stock of warning panel yellow. A certain person, Mr Bryan, on this forum must consume gallons of the stuff (different shade I know). Anyhow, quick posed shot.

As you can see different parts still need additional coats. The cab, counter weights and outriggers have not been painted yet.

post-6834-0-53975200-1392742309_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the kind comments and likes.

Little bit more progress the other night, started the application of the black in some areas on 1 bogie and some of the underframe. Whilst handling the various parts in the garage, I managed to drop one of the relieving bogies, fortunately only a buffer was slightly damaged! Need to be more careful.

post-6834-0-30498900-1392929963_thumb.jpg

Even though this is not finished, I am still thinking of building a second.

Cheers

Simon

Evening all,

Got a bit more painting/spraying done today.

post-6834-0-51153900-1393275229_thumb.jpg

post-6834-0-42526400-1393275286_thumb.jpg

Everything is still loose at the minute which allows these shots. I am not looking forward to applying or painting all the wasp strips on this, think it may send me crazy!

Cheers

Simon

Hi Simon, she is really coming on now. It is good to see that you have made progress on the crane. I like your style, the first one is not quite finished and you are already thinking of making a second one, quality!

When I eventually get Boxenby finished, would your crane like to visit?!!! I think it would look superb parked up in a siding in front of the shed.

Looking forward to your next update.

Thanks for the comments and likes everyone.

Alex, thanks, maybe can arrange a visit onto Boxenby, it may need turning on your depot wheel lathe due to flats.

Bob, thanks, yes you are right, a rtr twin jib crane would be nice to go with some Cambrian Salmon track panel wagons. I keep thinking about modelling a Long Welded Rail Train(I did make start on one of the wagons but scrapped it),but in 4mm its about 12ft long, however I could do it in n gauge for Dallam, that would only be 6ft then.

Cheers

Simon

Peter Clark used to to the 7mm 75t crane http://www.peterclarkkits.com/ but cant find it on his website over £250 worth of resin castings with a lot of work needed to produce a good model, other cranes for the 7mm modeller 15t steam crane from D&S, 25t Cravens not sure who's it is now, GJH do a 12t single and double jib crane a few hand cranes,  Sanspareil ICS produce a GWR 36t crane/match & weight wagon approx £700 and working on the SR version, a few hand cranes 2t & 5t.

Thinking of 4mm Hornby bodge of a 75t crane many things wrong with it, a member of this group made some casting for the diesel version, I still have a set and crane to build, Dapol do a nice kit of a crane, Hornby 7/10t hand crane, I believe some one is producing a 36t crane, the old Horby Dublo 75 t crane is a good example of a 45t crane.

I think I have missed a few but many out there for every one.

And yes i do like this build of the telescopic crane, I fancy one in 7mm

Ian G

Peter Clark used to to the 7mm 75t crane http://www.peterclarkkits.com/ but cant find it on his website over £250 worth of resin castings with a lot of work needed to produce a good model, other cranes for the 7mm modeller 15t steam crane from D&S, 25t Cravens not sure who's it is now, GJH do a 12t single and double jib crane a few hand cranes,  Sanspareil ICS produce a GWR 36t crane/match & weight wagon approx £700 and working on the SR version, a few hand cranes 2t & 5t.

Thinking of 4mm Hornby bodge of a 75t crane many things wrong with it, a member of this group made some casting for the diesel version, I still have a set and crane to build, Dapol do a nice kit of a crane, Hornby 7/10t hand crane, I believe some one is producing a 36t crane, the old Horby Dublo 75 t crane is a good example of a 45t crane.

I think I have missed a few but many out there for every one.

And yes i do like this build of the telescopic crane, I fancy one in 7mm

Ian G

Hi Ian

Thanks for all those - but still no modern telescopic crane in any form - the Peter Clark crane is now with someone else, and is built on an as and when required basis in Plasticard - I have one, and its a very nice model, but requires superdetailing, if thats what you want to do, it is more crisp than the resin one.

I dread to think the price of a 7mm telescopic crane the same as Simon's.

Cheers.

Bob.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

After a  few weeks break away from the crane, I attempted to paint the wasp strips on the tail end of the crane including the sliding ballast weights. I used the width of class 08 wasp stripes as a guide, approx 2mm. Tamiya masking tape was cut into strips 2mm wide to blank the yellow, but the black has crept under in areas. Maybe should have butchered some class 08 wasp transfers instead.

post-6834-0-14762000-1395091509_thumb.jpg

Regards a 7mm version, it would be nice. If I did have a go at a 7mm version, I think I would certainly attempt to motorise it with DCC.

Cheers

Simon

• 2 months later...

Hi,

In between working on the 7mm class 56, I have managed to get some more bits painted on the crane. I have removed the wasp strips from the tail end as these were masked and painted which I was never truly happy with. Below is the current state. The buffers have been removed to allow the wasp stripes to be applied.

post-6834-0-66128000-1401976642_thumb.jpg

post-6834-0-59080300-1401976111_thumb.jpg

I will have this on my demo stand (along with the 7mm grid behind it)at the  Wigan Model Railway Exhibition this weekend 7/8th June 2014, please come and say hello!

Cheers

Simon

Archived