First the Fairbourne, now the Talyllyn...

John_Hughes

And why would you want alcohol to take the edge of an experience like that?

Fair point, but I'm talking about drinking for enjoyment of the fine local products (I highly recommend Purple Moose's Snowdonia Ale for this purpose) rather than drinking for the effects of the alcohol. In the scenario I outlined, I personally would slowly sip on a bottle, maximum two, throughout the journey. Speaking for myself, that's not going to take the edge off the rest of the rest of the experience.

As long a ago as 1973 (in the context of the oil crisis) an officer of the TR stated that the railway could only be now accessed by the 'prosperous or the privileged'.  (privileged meaning BR employees with free or reduced travel perks).  Plus ca change, plus c'est le meme chose.

A quick Google tour around shows things haven't changed much since then either.  Bizarrely, the caravan park at Tonfanau is now abandoned and part demolished.  Looking for somewhere cheap to retire where I won't be disturbed, this looks ideal, a bit gloomy though.  As a thriving tourist destination though, 'null points'.

I am a member of the Caravan Club, which produces an annual Great Days Out booklet through which members can obtain discounts on visits to the attractions listed. The FR/WHR is one of those, with 20% discount to CC members. This is a welcome saving on the full price fares and we rode on both railways. The Talyllyn is not included in this scheme; I am wondering if there is a missed opportunity here. As has been posted earlier there are many caravaners in the area wanting something to do for a day. Perhaps this is a marketing opportunity for the TR?

Edit: - I have emailed both the TR and CC, and will let you know if I hear anything. Fingers crossed.

Further to post #27 I have been emailed by both parties and they both expressed interest in taking part. So hopefully if this goes ahead there could be extra patronage for the TR.

For non members of the Caravan Club the Great little trains of Wales discount card is also available at £10 per year. This gives 20% discount from full fares for twelve months from the date of the first use. Checking the list of participating railways shows ten railways in the scheme. Potential saving for an adult return ticket on all of these railways is £31.08, less the £10 for the card would give an annual saving of £21.08. The Fairbourne is not included in the scheme. Most expensive full fare is WHR at £33.00, cheapest is the WHHR at £6.00. In fact the savings on journeys on the Ffestiniog and WHR cover the cost of the railcard. I reckon this card is aimed more at enthusiasts who may wish to ride on as many lines as possible.

discount wise, if you are railway staff with priv travel you can get priv rates on the talyllyn too (as well as WHR/FR)

That'll exclude any Network Rail staff who started post 1996 then...

• RMweb Premium

Surely then, with everything that has been said about the town, isn't it time for the Chamber of Commerce to start investing in their town, which will lead to more visitors for everyone? The town and the Railway will then benefit.

But is it that Towyn lacks investment or simply that it is difficult to get to and/or lacks sufficient attractions to get more tourists?  To some extent investment might create more attractions but the local Chamber of Commerce in a small and non-prosperous town is unlikely to have the cash or to want to put it at risk.  Investment from outside will only come if the investor (whether private or public) thinks they can make it work financially ... which of course is less likely if the place is difficult to get to and/or lacks sufficient attractions ...

• RMweb Gold

discount wise, if you are railway staff with priv travel you can get priv rates on the talyllyn too (as well as WHR/FR)

Indeed, that has been the case for many years. But what sort of cheapskate deprives the society of the extra few £s? Are we not enthusiasts?

Indeed, that has been the case for many years. But what sort of cheapskate deprives the society of the extra few £s? Are we not enthusiasts?

The NYMR accepts any form of railway ID for a discount and I use it - if we all go it's quite expensive so a couple of pounds of helps! Normally gies towards books though!

Tywyn has never been a great attraction in its own right. The incomplete promenade from Victorian times tells you all you need to know about its success as a coastal resort. For those with the eyes to see ( and they are in a minority), the attractions are natural ones further inland.

It is one of those places where, when the sun shines, it can be almost idyllic. Unfortunately such occasions are rare and unpredictable.

I remember proudly telling an older work colleague in the early 70s that I was a volunteer on the TR. He recoiled in horror at the memory of being stationed on national service at Tonfanau Camp. "Cold, wet and nothing to do". Tywyn is now even worse off than in those days - the town used to enjoy good business from the army.

It's amazing how many times, when my interest in the TR crops up in conversation, I'm told "Oh, we used to have our annual holidays in a static caravan there". There are still static caravans in the area, but peoples tastes in holidays have become more sophisticated - if you can call Benidorm sophisticated. :laugh:

Tywyn is not alone in this. Barmouth is a shadow of its former self and Fairbourne is like a ghost town. It seems that even a deep recession won't bring the tourists back, which is a shame for the area, and very worrying for the TR.

I'm getting the impression that there are quite a few contributors to this topic who haven't actually been there for very many years - the use of "Towyn" is a bit of a giveaway ;)

• RMweb Premium
Tywyn has never been a great attraction in its own right. The incomplete promenade from Victorian times tells you all you need to know about it's success as a coastal resort......

.......Tywyn is not alone in this. Barmouth is a shadow of its former self and Fairbourne is like a ghost town. It seems that even a deep recession won't bring the tourists back, which is a shame for the area, and very worrying for the TR.

I'm getting the impression that there are quite a few contributors to this topic who haven't actually been there for very many years - the use of "Towyn" is a bit of a giveaway ;)

Shame in all respects. Sadly I have not been to the area since the late 1970's when I used to be a member of the TR.

What a numpty thing to say. Just because some people stick to the old spelling gives nothing away. I live near Towyn, Rhyl, but I stll refer to Towyn Cambs and why not. Idiots come away now calling it Tie-wyn.  I will call things what I want like Owdham!.... Doesn't mean i haven been there since 1624!

• RMweb Gold

what sort of cheapskate deprives the society of the extra few £?

me!

even with the talyllyn prices being consideribly less than the likes of the WHR/FR taking the family out on a day trip can soon add up so using the priv passes makes it that much easier, besides what we save normally ends up being spent in the gift shop or railway cafe anyway.

Just because some people stick to the old spelling gives nothing away.!

ive always known it as towyn, meirionydd and im not old enough to remember (the original) meirionydd!

Tywyn has never been a great attraction in its own right. For those with the eyes to see ( and they are in a minority), the attractions are natural ones further inland.

indeed, head up the valley along the route of the talyllyn and you end up in corris which of course has its railway as well as king arthurs caverns and a little bit futher along the centre for alternative technology (somewhere ive never been), the last 2 times i've visited the area with the family (staying in llwyngwril) we have by-passed tywyn completly at bryncrug and headed to the attractions in corris

a hidden gem not far from tywyn is castell y bere

http://cadw.wales.gov.uk/daysout/castellybere/?lang=en

What a numpty thing to say. Just because some people stick to the old spelling gives nothing away. I live near Towyn, Rhyl, but I stll refer to Towyn Cambs and why not. Idiots come away now calling it Tie-wyn.  I will call things what I want like Owdham!.... Doesn't mean i haven been there since 1624!

Those "idiots" calling it "Tie-wyn" are actually Welsh, Larry, and it's their spelling and their language, being used in their country. "Towyn" was changed in the late 1960s to avoid confusion with the even more down-at-heel place that you refer to. You are welcome to refer to Towyn Cambs, although I would guess that most of Tywyns' current population would be surprised that there's also one in  Cambridgeshire  :lol:

(yes, I know you are referring to Cambrian Railways )

If you join the TR or WHR/FR societies they each have agreements to give the holders of valid membership cards discounted tickets.  Many of us that work as voulenteers on other railways also have discounted travel

Sorry to open a can of worms (or a bottle of real ale) but responsible drinking ie having one for lunch and spending a few hours before getting back into the car at tea time is what I often do.  Session drinking is for an evening when you can sleep it off.

• RMweb Gold

As one of the idiots calling the place Towyn it is probably because that what it was called on my first visit in 1967 which was in my mind at the time of typing. A few years later I took the future Mrs W there for a holiday. A for not having been there recently that is because for two years we were looking after elderly relatives 24/7. However in 2009 I drove Dolgoch to Bry Glas and back with a train. I have also enjoyed running my locos on the 16mm line there.

I would apologise if I offended any welsh friends but too much gets made of this. People are always mis-spelling my name but it matters little.

Don

Nobody has been branded an idiot for calling the place Towyn, Don. It was actually used by Coachmann against those who can't pronounce the name correctly(I think, but I'm not sure!).

You perhaps inadvertently underline what I was trying (rather clumsily) to say. Some peoples perception of the town is often based on experiences from long ago, because they haven't been back for a long time (although you obviously have). In truth, Tywyn hasn't changed much  since those days (save possibly for the worse), and therein lies the problem. The world has moved on - the area hasn't moved with it.

My little boy and I (he was 18 months at the time!) took part in a certain event in 2009, and travelled every narrow gauge passenger route mile in Wales, in two and a half days. A pretty hardcore test of family facilities, and at most places we saw something of the people who run the place, and the ethos behind them.

We finished in Tywyn, although we had actually done the TR a couple of nights before. Where did I take my son to have some time in one place before the drive home? The super little play area at Abergynolwyn. Nothing on the coast to keep us!

Of all the railways we travelled on, though, the ones that stand out in my memory were:

Snowdon Mountain Railway - Rude, unaccommodating, expensive, diesel haulage. New visitor centre at the summit may as well be a municipal leisure centre foyer.

FR/WHR - Bent over backwards to accommodate us. They were even kind enough to put us up in Minffordd yard for the night at a moment's notice! Good food and generally good amenities. WHR is a long way in one sitting. Feels a little industrialised at times, but they volumes of punters require it!

Llanberis Lake - Crowded! They were kind enough to pose all their locos outside the shed, though, and we were made very welcome indeed. They, not the SMR, will get my money next time I'm in Llanberis.

Corris - Members came out first thing in the morning, on a weekday, in the rain, and ran a train specially for us. Like taking a train along a very nice footpath. Lovely people, and hardcore with it!

Teifi Valley - A very friendly, laid back, low budget sort of a place. You felt as a visitor like you were being invited into someone's (very large) back garden!

There were very few lines who could accommodate a pushchair without difficulty. I am not a keen user of them but many parents now are too lazy to do anything other than wheel them about. Some of the lines it has to be said are not all that scenic compared to the drive to get to them! The VoR have engaged in some deforestation which has made a big difference, but the WHR takes some beating really.

The geographic and socio-demographic issues people have mentioned regarding Tywyn are all very fair in my estimation. In a way, though, I would rather see the TR stay as it is, for as long as the people who love it can keep it that way. Most of the lines we travelled on had in some way (many of them substantially) bowed down to tourism and compromised their 'railway product' quite heavily. My fondest memories of our trip round Wales were from the least adulterated railways - but they were often the least convenient for me with a child...

Most of the lines we travelled on had in some way (many of them substantially) bowed down to tourism and compromised their 'railway product' quite heavily.

What I like about the Festiniog is the way it has moved on and kept up with tourism to sustain the railway while at the same time never taking its eye off the historical side of things. The delightful F.R. coaches display various old 19th Century fully lined out liveries and are in use throughout the year. Similarly, the railway still builds new engines to old designs. I have heard it is considering laying bullhead track through Minnfordd Station once again. Gala events are the time to experience rides in the old bug boxes if one chooses to and be hauled by locos built in the 1960s.

Will the recreation reopening of the WHR result in the loss of the Talyllyn?

It certainly won't result in the loss of Talyllyn. 3700+ members wouldn't allow that to happen and the gestures of goodwill from the thousands of visitors each year. 2012 was a unique year, awful weather, people staying at home for the Olympics. 

2013 will see the Talyllyn with five steam engines in the best condition they have ever been in, the result of some of the most successful appeals to members the Talyllyn has ever done, such as the sleeper appeal which shows where the Talyllyn has its priorities. In keeping its infrastructure in top condition now and into the future.

It is disappointing to see people discussing 'lack of amenities'. The oldest working coaching stock from 1866 is used in special vintage trains sets as well as service sets to give visitors a quality heritage experience as they go up the valley. The railway also has comfortable modern saloon and spacious bogie coaches inkeeping with the heritage atmosphere. The new Wharf Terminus has a Cafe/Bistro, Narrow Gauge Railway Museum, Education facilities and all modern amenities. The railway has just received the report from an independent survey of its amenities and scored extremely high.

At the end I hope all people who haven't visited the railway for some years will do so in 2013 and above all hope their day on the Talyllyn.

Ellis

• RMweb Premium

.... Corris - Members came out first thing in the morning, on a weekday, in the rain, and ran a train specially for us. Like taking a train along a very nice footpath. Lovely people, and hardcore with it! ....

Thank you, it's nice to be appreciated.

I have an idea that Ellis in the post above hit the nail on the head with his comments on the weather and the Olympics. Part of my income comes from the pair of holiday cottages attached to our home here in mid Wales. Though bookings held up last year it was noticeable that many were last minute (waiting for a better rather than wetter week or weekend) and that there was a quiet spell during the Olympics which picked up the day after the closing ceremony.

Lets hope that the sun shines more often in 2013; it'll certainly do no harm to any of the preserved/heritage railways.

Archived