First the Fairbourne, now the Talyllyn...

John_Hughes

Surely then, with everything that has been said about the town, isn't it time for the Chamber of Commerce to start investing in their town, which will lead to more visitors for everyone? The town and the Railway will then benefit.

I bet they wish they had thought of that .

I bet they wish they had thought of that .

Indeed, but I've just been looking at

http://www.tywynctc.co.uk/

The TR shares equal prominence under "attractions" with such delights as Borth Animalarium, Neptune Holiday and Social Club and the Tywyn and District Model Flying Club!

You'd think, having the worlds' first preserved railway on their "turf", they'd want to shout it from the rooftops wouldn't you?

Dave

I remember back in the 1960s the TR was advertising on Midland Red buses as 'The TV line' - an approach which caused near apoplexy among some of the supporters, but probably worked a treat.

Agreed that last year was dreadful for tourism right across the UK, the weather, the Olympics and the recession all played their part - why spend real money on a holiday somewhere wet when instead you can stay in your living room, order in a pizza, sit in front of the telly, and watch Andy win Olympic Gold?

It might be hard for railway enthusiasts to grasp that the world and his wife does not have enough interest in quaint narrow gauge steam railways to inspire them to drive out of their towns and cities to some obscure town on the Cambrian Coast. Porthmadog, Llangollen and other such places are tourist centres in their own right and are relatively busy even in winter, but there is no saying they are there just for the railway.

If the Tallylyn survives, then fine. If it doesnt, then it may need to consider the unthinkable, sell the trackbed and relocate its locos and stock to another narrow gauge line. Depends on how much it wants to survive and how much it can do to attract more visitors to allow it to do so.

If the Tallylyn survives, then fine. If it doesnt, then it may need to consider the unthinkable, sell the trackbed and relocate its locos and stock to another narrow gauge line. Depends on how much it wants to survive and how much it can do to attract more visitors to allow it to do so.

Shudder at the thought. There is no question of it surviving (in my opinion) It has 3700+ members who sign up to stop that very thing happening and the visitors who come and ride on the line, luckily we don't get grumbles from those people and welcome many of them back time and time again.

There is an air of gloom on recent press reports which perhaps doesn't do the situation justice. The appeals were a success and that should be celebrated. It is better that the appeal went out now and not in a few years time where it may against the wire.

I hope everyone comes and visits in 2013 to support the line :)

Surely then, with everything that has been said about the town, isn't it time for the Chamber of Commerce to start investing in their town, which will lead to more visitors for everyone? The town and the Railway will then benefit.

Come on, this is Wales you are talking about. It would spoil their image. The trouble is there is a lot going for them in terms of scenery and potential attractions. The problem is making the area inviting enough to get the tourist to go there to stay, then providing the attractions and amenities for them when they get there. Frankly relying on the caravaner/camper or those with a bus pass is not going to bring in the £££s. Some investment in the the road network is also required of The Assembly.

• RMweb Gold

Why am I reminded of the 'Didcot is closing' nonsense a couple of years back, or the more recent spurious scare stories about the London Transport Museum?

Bad news, fact or fiction, always travels fastest. Given RMweb's important position in the virtual information world, it is a pity when things are portrayed as being worse than the facts would support.

We could therefore arrange an RMweb 'meet' at Towyn this summer with a tomato-throwing at Mods followed by drinks all round, and bare-knuckle fighting for those who would like to settle a few scores wearing fake smilies. Also rename one of the engines Andy Y for the day...But which engine? Another innexpensive way to support the railway is buy a sleeper.

• RMweb Premium

We could therefore arrange an RMweb 'meet' at Towyn this summer with a tomato-throwing at Mods followed by drinks all round, and bare-knuckle fighting for those who would like to settle a few scores wearing fake smilies. Also rename one of the engines Andy Y for the day...But which engine? Another innexpensive way to support the railway is buy a sleeper.

We would havve to choose  a loco with a nice shiny round paint finish on top.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Really? I've had great fun and some lovely journeys on the roads in mid and north Wales!

Try living there and having to travel on the roads day in day out!

The road from dolgellau to towyn is terrible, ok nice to drive on a quiet evening but during the day with non locals panicing and braking into every corner then speeding up on what little straights there are its no fun, to make matters worse you get artics going to the co-op in towyn practically everyday now

Its not just non locals who drive like that in my experience but also locals with BMWs and Audis the country over who seem to think the accellerator or brake pedal have to pushed hard down all the time. Its great fun on any twisty B road watching them race away from you only for you to get held up by them on the next bend.

Its not just non locals who drive like that in my experience but also locals with BMWs and Audis the country over who seem to think the accellerator or brake pedal have to pushed hard down all the time. Its great fun on any twisty B road watching them race away from you only for you to get held up by them on the next bend.

:offtopic: 'tis a product of the digital age..................digital driving - off or on. 

• RMweb Premium

Try living there and having to travel on the roads day in day out!

I do, and I'm quite happy with the roads as they are. Ok you can't whiz along at 60, but that's more than compensated for by the scenery and the lack of stop/start urban motoring. Admittedly I'm never in a hurry, but why the rush?

I do, and I'm quite happy with the roads as they are. Ok you can't whiz along at 60, but that's more than compensated for by the scenery and the lack of stop/start urban motoring. Admittedly I'm never in a hurry, but why the rush?

Amen to that!

Actually the Assembly has been working steadily to improve the main North-South route for a few years now, as all the disruption at Glandyfi and then again at Maes-yr-Helmau above Dolgellau show. The coast road between Tywyn and Fairbourne is a different animal, with some bits (above the railway at Friog, for instance) which would obviously take millions to improve, and the money could probably be spent to better effect elsewhere.

Like giving us the Aber - Carmarthen line back, for instance!

• RMweb Gold

The choice of automatic transmission, especially on larger and more prestigious vehicles, is part of this. Chucking it down a couple of gears as the bend approaches, so you can drive safely and steadily through it, is simply no longer part of driving for many people - even though such gearboxes will let you do that.

• RMweb Gold

Amen to that!

Actually the Assembly has been working steadily to improve the main North-South route for a few years now, as all the disruption at Glandyfi and then again at Maes-yr-Helmau above Dolgellau show. The coast road between Tywyn and Fairbourne is a different animal, with some bits (above the railway at Friog, for instance) which would obviously take millions to improve, and the money could probably be spent to better effect elsewhere.

Like giving us the Aber - Carmarthen line back, for instance!

Going east to west the work done between llanwchllyn and dolgellau is really good, the new road running on the old trackbed of course in places, back towards the coast llwyngwril is terrible for big wagons/buses negotiating the curve by the garth, there has been talk of a bypass for years now but i doubt it will happen, a similar problem as what you have pointed out in friog is arthog, needs work doing but no realistic way of doing it short of building a new road from the quarry at the top of the hill down to where the junction to morfa mawddach is but it would simply destory the scenery, the simplest option would be to be to put a road on the old trackbed from morfa to penmaenpool but thats a walkway now so that would never happen!

Interesting as this topic is,I fear that the initial premise is flawed-takings are down-this is a given in the current economic climate,so the company are seeking to maximise a different revenue source,towhit the members...

I hardly think we should be planning a wake just yet-the company has a full card of well maintained locos & stock & the track is in good order-no need to spend there ....It survived BITD with one (barely) functional loco,one rake of coaches and a RoW that Tom Rolt described as " more like a country lane than a railway"-besides,neither the fat nor thin controllers would stand by & let the Skarloey Railway close........

ATB

Nick

The Tallylin Railway could do worse than relocate in Blaenau Ffestiniog on the Trawsfynedd trackbed. Would certainly raise awareness and put bums on seats. Simply ask the Festiniog Railway if they can share the island platform....... Great stuff! :declare:

Duck to avoid the stoning...

I am a member of the Caravan Club, which produces an annual Great Days Out booklet through which members can obtain discounts on visits to the attractions listed. The FR/WHR is one of those, with 20% discount to CC members. This is a welcome saving on the full price fares and we rode on both railways. The Talyllyn is not included in this scheme; I am wondering if there is a missed opportunity here. As has been posted earlier there are many caravaners in the area wanting something to do for a day. Perhaps this is a marketing opportunity for the TR?

Edit: - I have emailed both the TR and CC, and will let you know if I hear anything. Fingers crossed.

Latest news on this is that my Great days out booklet arrived today, with the Talyllyn not included in any offers. however it was pointed out to me that the booklets were already in print this year, so may be included next year. On a happier note, the Fairbourne Railway now offers two for one, and the VoR offers 20% discount. Both these are new this year. Gwili steam railway offers two for one, and WHHR offer is for one child goes free with each full fair adult. There are twenty nine Welsh attractions in the booklet this year, in 2012 there were ten. So it seems as though they are getting their act together.

Latest news on this is that my Great days out booklet arrived today, with the Talyllyn not included in any offers. however it was pointed out to me that the booklets were already in print this year, so may be included next year. On a happier note, the Fairbourne Railway now offers two for one, and the VoR offers 20% discount. Both these are new this year. Gwili steam railway offers two for one, and WHHR offer is for one child goes free with each full fair adult. There are twenty nine Welsh attractions in the booklet this year, in 2012 there were ten. So it seems as though they are getting their act together.

Lucky you mentioned that, as I tend not to read most stuff the CC send out! I only had one night on a club site and one on a CL last year, and was wondering if it is worth renewing this year. That makes it a bit more worthwhile.

Archived