Dapol class 86

HSTcallum

Hey!

Does anyone know when the Dapol 86s are out? I've been waiting for around a year and I hope they're out soon. Also does anyone know if they are fitting more realistic pantographs to them? The ones fitted on graham garish locos are pretty unrealistic and I would like the sort some of the 86s and all the 90/91s are equiped with.

Hey!

Does anyone know when the Dapol 86s are out? I've been waiting for around a year and I hope they're out soon. Also does anyone know if they are fitting more realistic pantographs to them? The ones fitted on graham garish locos are pretty unrealistic and I would like the sort some of the 86s and all the 90/91s are equiped with.

I'd also like to see a working 2mm scale Highspeed pan.... ;)

• RMweb Gold

Also does anyone know if they are fitting more realistic pantographs to them? The ones fitted on graham garish locos are pretty unrealistic and I would like the sort some of the 86s and all the 90/91s are equiped with.

Dapol originally said they were going to use Sommerfeldt pantographs (as used by Farish on their 87/90/91) - hopefully they changed their minds. I don't know of a replacement Brecknell-Willis pantograph for N unfortunately.

Mike

We have certainly asked for 'Stone-Faiveley' pantographs on our BR Blue model, but I can't comment on what is planned for the later liveries that Dapol are covering as their standard items. Certainly a Brecknell-Willis would seem to be more suited, but as noted elsewhere, I don't know of anyone who does one.

Just to throw another one into the mix, a X-arm diamond pantograph would be a useful one to have so the '86' could be backdated. After all, the tooling has been set up to allow older variants to be done.

Mike

C&M Models

The Japanese ones are non working designed to ride below the imaginary wires.. Mechanically and modelwise they are a wonder to behlold. Greenmax PT-71A is probably the one you want for modern UK stock but Greenmax stuff is fairly hard to find outside of Japan (annoyingly as their TR-23 and DT-10 are also the perfect bogies for a ton of UK pre-group stock)

For some pictures of the Greemax pantographs:

http://www.mid-9.com...pantographs.htm

(and they can be put in up or down position)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys and gals,

To clarify for everyone,

The chassis for the class 86 got delayed as i altered the pick-up arrangements on the originally planned ones, putting us back a couple of months.

I have had 30 of the chassis shipped here and they have been completed ready for display at the Festival of Model Railways show in London next weekend. The others not required for display will go to the magazines for review, including the 2 we have produced for C&M models.

The balance of the chassis are on the high seas, and should be in the UK around next weekend, which is too late to finish manufacture and get out for our 'end of month' for March.

So they will go out to stockists at the end of April with the class 58's and silver bullets in N gauge being held over until the end of May so as not to swamp stockists with too much new modern stock.

I hope this helps.smile.gif

cheers

Dave

• Like 2

The first batch of Class 86s are a carryover from the 2009 catalogue, and are:

86.229 in Virgin livery

86.213 in InterCity livery

86.621 in Freightliner livery

86.425 in RES livery

Also being produced are 2 limited edition locos for C&M Models in Carlisle

86.204 and 86.241 in BR Blue

Three boxed sets have also been announced, but no firm dates as yet on these:

86.219 in InterCity livery with 2 x Mk3 coaches and a DVT

86.259 in Virgin livery with 2 x Mk3 coaches and a DVT

86.637 in Freightliner livery with 3 x Freightliner spine wagons.

Then there is the batch mentioned in the 2010 catalogue, for which no release date has been projected - so 86.401 is still to come!

86.415 in Railfreight Distribution triple grey

86.261 in EWS livery

86.401 in Network South East livery

86.241 in Mail red/grey livery

Also due for imminent release are the dummy overhead masts from Dapol.

• Like 1

Photos on Nigel Burkin's blog here:

http://nigelburkin.wordpress.com/

I'm pondering over the proportions between the lower and upper body sections, but that's probably because i've been looking at photos of the Heljan 86 and the size of it's grilles. It definitely has the right look, and in my view is the best model of this type to date, in any scale.

• RMweb Gold

Some nice pics and a very respectible Class 86, to boot. I shall certainly be getting an Intercity liveried one to go with the DVT and Mark 3s.

The bodyside grilles and front end windows look just right and the livery application spot-on. Well done, Dave and team! :)

• RMweb Gold

That certainly does look extremely impressive. The Freightliner one particularly catches my eye, but as almost all photos I've seen of them show them working in pairs, Dapol certainly need to produce a dummy version!

David

I couldn't really justify a powered version, but if they were to bring out a dummy in INTERCITY, I'd get one for a Sunday drag away from the wires.

Probably unlikely that version would appear as a dummy though, more likely to be RF or FL, if they were to produce a dummy.

I couldn't really justify a powered version, but if they were to bring out a dummy in INTERCITY, I'd get one for a Sunday drag away from the wires.

Probably unlikely that version would appear as a dummy though, more likely to be RF or FL, if they were to produce a dummy.

You could use a powered 86 with a dummy 67 or 66. That's what I got my unpowered 67 for.

• RMweb Gold

You could use a powered 86 with a dummy 67 or 66. That's what I got my unpowered 67 for.

Ooohhhh way too modern for me I'm afraid. I'm firmly stuck in 1987 to 1992 ish :rolleyes:

Stu

So having seen the pictures, many of you will question the pantograph, so this is the reasoning for what has been fitted.

There is no 'off the shelf' Stone-Faiveley pantograph in N gauge, so a generic single arm pantograph has been fitted. This is not wired for current pick-up, the loco will drive off track pick-up only.

As supplied, when the pantograph is in the raised position, the lower arm actually rests on the floor of the roof, whilst the upper arm only raises slightly. This way, you do not demolish your Dapol 'N' gauge catenary masts as you go by, or worse still damage the pantograph.

This is a result of the screw holding the pantograph on being screwed up into the spring mechanism, therefore surpressing it rising any further. This screw can easily be accessed from inside the model to loosen it, which will then allow the pantograph to raise higher, but be aware, it also loosens the pantograph on its mounting.

Getting into the body is very easy, the lugs holding it into place are by the inside wheels of the bogies and simply pulling the bodysides out will drop the body, BUT BE AWARE, the chassis will not fall out due to the wiring for the lights, so be careful. Despite this, there is plenty of room available to work to loosen the pantograph screw, or fit the DCC 6-pin decoder which fits on top of the chassis.

Saw the 86s and 58s on the Dapol Stand at Ally pally today and even had a hold rolleyes.gif

Dapol have got this totally spot-on - the BR Blue and Virgin 86s look particularly attractive.

Went back to the Dapol stand three times to ogle the 86s - and the 58s for that matter , oh and the silver bullets biggrin.gif - The RES 86 looking very pretty cool.gif