RMweb

Dating, women and the 'hobby'...

Hi

Slightly off topic. I'm sure this will have been mentioned before.

Our big exhibition in Scotland each year is held in the Secc in Glasgow and by chance there is also a jobs fayre and a wedding fayre on at the same time, all held in neighbouring halls. One wag was heard to say "Oh great! Get a job, get a wife and get a life" It certainly caused plenty of laughter from the stewards on the door.

Stephen

Ps I think the same exhibitions are all on at the same time again this year. What more do you want:-X

Edited by ayrmrg

I returned to the hobby when I'd been dating my girlfriend (now fiancee) for about a year. Despite not being into southern electrics even slightly it was the Brighton Belle that got the ball rolling and now the bug has well and truly bitten (though I have returned to my old passion of ECML c1990 and BB will probably end up for display). I have spent a considerable amount on stock since, and layout in the planning stages. We don't live together because of work commitments, so thus far I have kept it well hidden. She knows that I take an interest in engineering endeavour and she knows I want a big layout when I have more time and space. Whether I get granted that space is yet to be seen! 

Edited by sub39h

I've been quite lucky really as Mrs Sm42 has tolerated me buying some new trains with the proviso that I build a layout for them.

Only snag is she hasn't indicated where in the house this layout can live.

I suspect the lounge will not be a good idea.

Andy

Hi

Slightly off topic. I'm sure this will have been mentioned before.

Our big exhibition in Scotland each year is held in the Secc in Glasgow and by chance there is also a jobs fayre and a wedding fayre on at the same time, all held in neighbouring halls. One wag was heard to say "Oh great! Get a job, get a wife and get a life" It certainly caused plenty of laughter from the stewards on the door.

Stephen

Ps I think the same exhibitions are all on at the same time again this year. What more do you want:-X

If you're going to the model railway exhibition and your GF goes to the Wedding Fayre you'll definitely need the jobs fair as the total expenditure created by both visits are likely to be enormous. For once the MRE won't be the biggest drain on resources.  :yes:

• RMweb Premium

If you're going to the model railway exhibition and your GF goes to the Wedding Fayre you'll definitely need the jobs fair as the total expenditure created by both visits are likely to be enormous. For once the MRE won't be the biggest drain on resources.  :yes:

No real danger is if your wife and daughter go to the wedding fayre at the same time that's when it gets really expensive.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

The Obergrumpenfuhrer has always allowed me to participate in this wonderful hobby of ours.

in fact she positively encouraged me to buy the Aster G1 live steamers when I was based in Germany.

She was even more thrilled when I sold them a few years later for a 'modest' profit.

In fact she knows how much my collection is worth and is always telling me to make sure I keep on top of updates for insurance purposes.

Recently she has also become very interested in my  extensive and expensive collection of rifles, and has asked me to teach her to shoot.

Yesterday she asked if I fancied taking up base jumping?

• RMweb Gold

The Obergrumpenfuhrer has always allowed me to participate in this wonderful hobby of ours.

in fact she positively encouraged me to buy the Aster G1 live steamers when I was based in Germany.

She was even more thrilled when I sold them a few years later for a 'modest' profit.

In fact she knows how much my collection is worth and is always telling me to make sure I keep on top of updates for insurance purposes.

Recently she has also become very interested in my  extensive and expensive collection of rifles, and has asked me to teach her to shoot.

If she asks if she can pack your parachute for you, politely decline.

Has she looked at your will and life assurance lately?

• RMweb Premium

Ask her to show you how to do it first......

I don't remember having any problems telling the future Mrs 5050.  After all, she accepted my being a racing cyclist without any complaint - and that was just as bad if not worse in the 60's before it became very fashionable.  I even took her to Pendon during our 'courting' in 1969 and, as it was a Saturday, it was officially closed but Roye England took pity on us and gave us a guided tour.  After that she was pretty well hooked and, as she is very 'crafty' herself so appreciates the time and skill involved, doesn't complain.

Very much............. :mosking:

Edited by 5050
  • Like 1

If, just before you jump, she shouts

PULL!

be afraid, be very afraid

:hunter:

Andy

Edited by SM42

• 2 weeks later...

My experiences with woman and the hobby have been actually good to date. A very long term relationship (now ended....no, it was not the hobby) and quite a few gf's along the way. All have just nodded in agreement with what i have said and actually think the fact a great deal of my photography is published is rather good :)

All i can say is that if someone cant see past our hobby then why would you be interested in them, its simply narrow minded on their part!

Sounds like just the excuse you need to visit a certain exhibition in the near future.

Keith

Following that consensus, Keith, Are there any exhibitions out the Plymouth direction? as my wee hen is at uni there!

SeanxX

Hear hear 37403!

I have just gotten a GF (god knows how!) who is activly curious about the hobby and railways in general I am over the moon right now : xD:

Sean

Yep, thats because they can see past it! On the grand scheme of things our hobby is irrelevant.

I had a funny conversation with a lady friend yesterday......"so, what, folk actually chase these things around and take lots of pictures.....thats a bit different" hahaha

• RMweb Gold

Get straight into it.  In any relationship knowledge of each other's interests is vital.  When I invited my wife to my house for the first time, I invited her down into my basement to see my trains. 

Just for that split second I thought "married but not living together, yes that would work".......

• 2 weeks later...

I never had a girlfriend but I suppose on a first date I would look into her eyes and say ''I LIKE TRAINS'' or your eyes are like domino head codes and your hair is a beautiful as well used shiny rails and your smile is as bright as a tail lamp. I love you more than a BR Blue Class 25 Diesel Electric Locomotive. You want to see my Model Railway layout? I just got a new engine!
We could go trainspotting together. :sungum: