Class 04 shunters in action - BR Blue?

GraemeR BR (WR)

I have just picked up a bargain Bachmann BR Blue Class 04, and I have been doing a bit of digging. I know that not many of them made it into BR Blue, and that all had been withdrawn by 1971/72. I also know about the classic branch line working on the Wisbech and Upwell Tramway (with cowcatchers) but was wondering whether anybody knows:

Firstly how many made it into BR Blue, and whether you know where these locos were based?

Secondly whether the 04's had any other regular branch workings in other parts of the country?

Many thanks for any help you can give me.

D2239 late of 75C, in what looks like green with double arrows, but hard to call:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dodger5450/7769638992/

D2248 of dubious provenance, ex-55H:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/masonphenix19/7909692540/

D2289 70D Eastleigh looks like a contender:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43351968@N02/8155353113/

D2293 of 73F - possibly:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24292321@N02/2367536604/

• Like 1

From my photo collection I've got the following in Blue. (From colour photos).

D2200.

D2209.

D2211.

D2239. Not a brilliant photo but the cab front is in sunlight and definately blue.

D2258. As early as Aug 1967.

D2289.

D2293.

D2294

D2295.

D2248. The colour shot I have in 1974 shows it in green.

Paul J. 

Edited to add D2294 to the list.

Edited by Swindon 123
  • Like 1

Michael Delamar said,

blue one at Carlisle Kingmoor in 1967

I think that it is D2209 as I have a shot of it at Carlisle 2 months later. Note the electrification flash at the bottom of the bonnet door, D2258 has some in the same unusual position. I have a photo of D2209 at Allerton 2 years later.

Paul J.

• Like 1

Whatever happened to the former blue 04 that was exported to (IIRC) Italy? It was at a works that had been shut and the Heritage shunters trust or somebody similar were trying to raise funds to repatriate it. This was going back a few years, and I've heard nothing about it since.

Whatever happened to the former blue 04 that was exported to (IIRC) Italy? It was at a works that had been shut and the Heritage shunters trust or somebody similar were trying to raise funds to repatriate it. This was going back a few years, and I've heard nothing about it since.

There's some info on the RCTS site here and here

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And to pick up on the other part of the question - branch lines with class 04 operation - predates blue and possibly rather surprising - Plymouth Friary had 04s allocated from new to operate branches in the area. Apparently the Drewry reps that came with them got rather upset when they saw the loads that were hung on them.

Plymouth Friary was a Southern shed at the time but the WR did hang on to a few for a while - I think they finished at Worcester as replacements for steam in the first half of 1966 but they didnt last long there either. Michael Delmar has posted a link to a rare picture in another thread.

Kind regards

Phil

• Like 2

Hereford had D2200, D2203, D2219, D2235, D2238 and D2240, that I know of, allocated to it in Aug 1964. According to some of the old hand Hereford drivers I know, one of their booked turns was out to the armaments depot on the truncated Golden Valley branch from Pontrilas. This involved some main line running as well as the short branch to the depot from Pontrilas. According to the drivers the memorable part of the trip was on the return working when the loco would be knocked out of gear and allowed to coast down the grade from Redhill tunnel to Barton Yard, getting up to speeds well in excess of the official maximum. They also ran on the old MR Brecon branch from Hereford but I think mainly involved with demolition trains. When Hereford shed closed in Nov 1964 the loco's moved to Worcester, except I think D2200 and D2203 which went to Crewe works, but remained outstationed at Hereford until a couple of years later when they left Worcester. So they did sometimes get to stretch their legs on occasions.

Paul J.

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

And heres D2238 at Worcester following the move from Hereford

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=horse+guards+poster&view=detailv2&&&id=D838CCA2B6CCF2D448775EFEE1982DD25A16F29B&selectedIndex=21&ccid=RXmA%2byLc&simid=608034109721741728&thid=JN.2LwSpYxmxCcsPKwHkRsKyw&ajaxhist=0

Worcester had a 204hp loco outstationed at Evesham but not sure when that finished

Phil

• RMweb Premium

And heres D2238 at Worcester following the move from Hereford

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=horse+guards+poster&view=detailv2&&&id=D838CCA2B6CCF2D448775EFEE1982DD25A16F29B&selectedIndex=21&ccid=RXmA%2byLc&simid=608034109721741728&thid=JN.2LwSpYxmxCcsPKwHkRsKyw&ajaxhist=0

Worcester had a 204hp loco outstationed at Evesham but not sure when that finished

Phil

I'm getting a Horse Guards poster from following that link.

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Gold

See what you mean Tony! These were all 85A's cleaners had left to polish mind you once their Castles went...

Phil

Maybe this belongs in the Railways on TV thread? but its a shunter in Action (Two Class 04's to be pedantic!) in Battersea Goods Yard. They got the continuity right as far as the LNER twelve tonner and Lowmac are concerned but fouled up on the wasp stripes.

For those wondering on the locations, the Wolseley Cop car does its wheel squealing U turn at the goods warehouse behind where E3008 was stabled in 1960 for the British Railways Electrification Exhibition as seen here:

15734623899_0427437760_z.jpgBR. AEI Class "AL1" Bo-Bo, Electric locomotive No. E3008. by Ron Bowyer, on Flickr

There's good shots of Culvert Road and Culvert Lane and load of detail of "stuff" just outside the railway boundary. Unbelievable how "tidy" that goods yard is.

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z6WjOHE6zc&feature=youtu.be

Start Playing from 41:44. There's also the bonus of the instantly recognizable soundtrack from Edwin Astley

P

Edit. Bu**er! I've just noticed the thread title is for banger blue only. Aw well, I'll leave the post here anyways cos I like the clip.

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...

There's some info on the RCTS site here and here

The appeal to repatriate D2289 is on again.  See http://heritageshuntertrust.wixsite.com/hst1/news   Hurdles still to leapt but so far so good.   

Maybe this belongs in the Railways on TV thread? but its a shunter in Action (Two Class 04's to be pedantic!) in Battersea Goods Yard. They got the continuity right as far as the LNER twelve tonner and Lowmac are concerned but fouled up on the wasp stripes.

For those wondering on the locations, the Wolseley Cop car does its wheel squealing U turn at the goods warehouse behind where E3008 was stabled in 1960 for the British Railways Electrification Exhibition as seen here:

15734623899_0427437760_z.jpgBR. AEI Class "AL1" Bo-Bo, Electric locomotive No. E3008. by Ron Bowyer, on Flickr

There's good shots of Culvert Road and Culvert Lane and load of detail of "stuff" just outside the railway boundary. Unbelievable how "tidy" that goods yard is.

ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z6WjOHE6zc&feature=youtu.be

Start Playing from 41:44. There's also the bonus of the instantly recognizable soundtrack from Edwin Astley

P

Edit. Bu**er! I've just noticed the thread title is for banger blue only. Aw well, I'll leave the post here anyways cos I like the clip.

The link doesnt work when I try it.

• 1 month later...

At least two blue Class 04 were exported to Italy, these being D2289 and D2295.  The one you specifically asked about, D2289, can now be found at the Heritage Shunters Trust, Rowsley although not currently on display.  It arrived from Italy on the 13th June.  For further details see https://www.rcts.org.uk/features/diesels/content.htm?id=diesels/italy.  

• Like 1