Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

just edited as I realised I could just undo the effect and trim original to something near the size I posted- so here is the original with as near as possible trimmed to size-

attachicon.gifIMG_0805.JPG

Very nice but the give away that it is a model is that both signals are giving the clearance for both main line ( which the train is on ) and the nearest route .

A WD 2-8-0, on trial on the Somerset & Dorset, shunts at Engine Wood:

attachicon.gifIMG_8851bw.jpg

And on the subject of WDs, I have attempted my first weathering project - 90302. 

No track yet, nor any sign of a layout - but plans are afoot.

(The tender is not quite as pale as it looks. It was at a slight angle to the loco and was reflecting more outside light). 

post-4474-0-88079500-1524077148_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

At last Saturday's BRMA meeting at P.C.M.'s place, Standard 4MT 2-6-4T 80032 disgraced itself by refusing to move. I had it on the programming track to sort it out (she has had a bit of oil and a good wheel clean) and it now works again, although I think I need to open her up and put in a different decoder. While I have the lid off, I will clean and oil the motor bearings and gears. Anyway, seeing as the programming track is also a scenic and photogenic area, I decided to get a snapshot of 80032.

40750010635_45e0a4308b_b.jpg
BR 4MT 2-6-4T 80032 by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

And a slightly 'dated' version of the same photo - monochrome with halftone screening:

41601910062_3477da503e_b.jpg

BR 4MT 2-6-4T 80032 BW halftone by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flick

• Like 6

A few of Treneglos. Originals taken by Andy York but I've adjusted them very slightly to make them look a little older.

attachicon.gifmsg-6675-0-00788200-1517908815.jpg

attachicon.gifmsg-6675-0-13528500-1517909677.jpg

You'll never convince me that the goods isn't real. Superb

Many of the images in this topic are incredibly realistic. I expect that most of this is down to the quality of the modelling but the realism must be, in part, down to the photographer.

For mortals such as myself, it would be useful to have the efforts explained. Eg. Camera set up, lighting and how the model is set up (diorama in a real world surrounding).

Edited by RBAGE
  • Like 1

Many of the images in this topic are incredibly realistic. I expect that most of this is down to the quality of the modelling but the realism must be, in part, down to the photographer.

For mortals such as myself, it would be useful to have the efforts explained. Eg. Camera set up, lighting and how the model is set up (diorama in a real world surrounding).

No problem for my couple up above.

Camera used is a Nikon D3400 with the standard  AF-P DX NIKKOR 18-55mm kit lens, tripod mounted and self timer set at 5 seconds.

The first picture of the class 25 was taken indoors using Cool White GU10 40W LED's to light the area and an LED hand light to eliminate shadows and fill the darkened areas, moved around whilst the shutter is open.

Camera on full manual, the ISO was set at 100, Aperture F29, shutter open for about 10 seconds. The focus point was the overhead warning transfer just under the cab window.

The second two outside pictures of the class 25 were a little different. Same tripod mounted camera and lens but I sat a Workmate on top of my patio table to lift the photo plank to approx 5' off the ground. This was done as I have 5' walls all around my back garden and I wanted to capture real sky in the background. The position was obviously with the sun behind me, and a low approach angle to eliminate nearby house roofs and telegraph wires etc.

The camera was set as follows: ISO was 100, Aperture was F32 and the shutter was open 1/8th of a second. No extra lighting effects were used. The focal point was just behind the '5' of the cab side number for the side 3/4 shot and the warning transfer under the cab window again for the front shot.

Of all the pictures the only thing I have done as far as 'shopping' is to crop slightly and resize down from the rather large file it started out at.

I hope that answers your question for you.

Jinty ;)

Edited by Jintyman
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Ewer Street.

(taken in the garage lit by one overhead flourecent tube and and sony cybershot camera on auto setting).

Lovely image ... I was curious about the inclusion of a fish van (with Eastern region number) on a Southern freight. As always, someone has written a good article! I found one on the Bluebell Railway website and it was fascinating reading. Turns out the dominance of the North sea ports meant that the vans inevitably carried and Eastern Region number.  From what I read, forward journeys from Holloway meant these vans turned up on the South East . So there you go - not only a good photo but I've learnt something along the way.

• Informative/Useful 1