Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

How realistic are your models? Photo challenge.

Pugsley

• RMweb Gold

Morning Dave,

You've done it again!

Really had to take a second look at the first photo and the one of the 'H' Class. Beautiful modelling and great photography.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

• RMweb Gold

Ruston, that really is top modelling and great photography too. I agree with what was said above about the colour shots being even better than the black and white ones. Which is a great credit to your briliant colouring skills, I think, because normally it's the other way round. 

• Like 1

The photos I have seen on this thread are quite amazing. Great modelling and great photography.

I would like to improve my skills at photography so hope a few of you might share some tips and any special effects eg smoke added to steam trains, lighting, night shots.

Cheers

Sam

Hi Sam.

The lighting is a key element. If at all possible, outdoors is best. Failing that a good window with the light coming in. (I have a problem with lighting at the moment! Good weather helps a lot...)

Photoshop (Other image editing software is available...) has a few tools that help when editing.

Basic black and white conversion is a case of changing the image from Colour, to "Greyscale", which uses shades of grey to render the colour detail.

Basic smoke effects are a little harder, and involve "selecting" an area with a drawing tool, and adding "Clouds" effect in that area. Some "fading" and "smudging" of the effect helps to blend it in to the picture.

(Model Rail's website used to have a "How To" do smoke but I think it has been removed now. :( )

Using "Lens Flare" it is possible to add "lighting" to lamp posts, even if they don't actually work!

It is possible, using the "clone" tool and some patience, to digitally remove couplings, and other spurious detail.

The point could be lost, however, if too much editing is done. Then it isn't so much a photo as a work of art!

(The "photos" in the 7th Edition of Ramsey's British Model trains Catalogue are a case in point. These are artworks really.)

Basic smoke effects are a little harder, and involve "selecting" an area with a drawing tool, and adding "Clouds" effect in that area. Some "fading" and "smudging" of the effect helps to blend it in to the picture.

I use Photoshop to add smoke. I add it by cutting it out of a photo of the real thing and resizing and pasting it into my photo. I then use the eraser on a low setting to remove sharp edges and to modify it to fit the chimney. Stray steam is done by the airbrush tool.

I don't alway use a straight greyscale mode. Sometimes I put the picture into greyscale and then back to RGB color and alter the colour balance in favour of red and yellow, like the one below.

post-494-0-49387700-1370423290.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

All these photo's are fantastic and its these kind of images that have got me back into the hobby after a 20 year break. Thought I'd have a go but bit limited at the moment as I've only just started on my layout and I'm nowhere near as good as you guys.

Paul

post-18716-0-50939700-1370432822_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

All these photo's are fantastic and its these kind of images that have got me back into the hobby after a 20 year break. Thought I'd have a go but bit limited at the moment as I've only just started on my layout and I'm nowhere near as good as you guys.

Paul

Only just started?  Wow can't wait till you really get going on your layout.  Great photo!. 

You have the photo angle just right, nice and low.  Way too often I see layout photos taken from such a high angle that only a bird would see that sort of view.  Yours is such a great shot, that you are almost lead to thinking that you were at a Depot open day when you took it.

Paul

Edited by Jaggzuk
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's quite some work there!

I (involuntarily) moved my head to the side to see if the reflected light, on the locos' body side, would also move. Stunning work, you should be proud sir.

Kev.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks very much, I surprised myself with the pic, an I only used an iPhone!! Although if you place it at track level you can get some really good shots. I don't get much time 'to play' at the moment but I'll try an get a couple more shots soon as I can. Once again thanks again for all the likes (first time I've put anything on here)

Paul

I use Photoshop to add smoke. I add it by cutting it out of a photo of the real thing and resizing and pasting it into my photo. I then use the eraser on a low setting to remove sharp edges and to modify it to fit the chimney. Stray steam is done by the airbrush tool.

I don't alway use a straight greyscale mode. Sometimes I put the picture into greyscale and then back to RGB color and alter the colour balance in favour of red and yellow, like the one below.

attachicon.gifDSC00918a.jpg

Some editing software has a "sepia" setting, and some also have "old photo" settings. In fact, some of these options are available in Photobucket's editing tools (http://www.photobucket.com) (I think, they had a re-model recently...)