Server response getting a bit ponderous again...

Mornin` All,

I have  found RMweb slow to load for some time now. Once it`s loaded it`s OK.........however if you visit first and browse and then decide to login.......the login takes an age and then I`m back to a reasonable speed once again.

At the moment........almost 7:00 am in Australia........there is just myself and one guest browsing this site so obviously traffic is not a problem.........so it begs the question........." is the site bogged down with too much content??????"..........or is there a Gremlin at work???????

Cheers Gormo

I beg your pardon........I have my figures terribly wrong...........there are about 500 of us on here right now..............traffic may be an issue

Cheers Gormo

• RMweb Premium

Mornin` All,

I have  found RMweb slow to load for some time now. Once it`s loaded it`s OK.........however if you visit first and browse and then decide to login.......the login takes an age and then I`m back to a reasonable speed once again.

At the moment........almost 7:00 am in Australia........there is just myself and one guest browsing this site so obviously traffic is not a problem.........so it begs the question........." is the site bogged down with too much content??????"..........or is there a Gremlin at work???????

Cheers Gormo

That would be 'yourself & 1 guest' viewing THIS PAGE, not this site. Now showing 5 members & 1 guest.

Can you expand please?

Thanks for the reply Andy. Previous PMs to you have been promptly answered. I sent one in the New Year and another on 28th January (see below), neither of which generated any response.

Just curious

Ray

Sent 28 January 2013 - 21:02

Hello Andy

Perhaps I have missed something? Since Christmas the first page of my Blog (the summary page showing all the individual Posts - any pictures have been stripped out if they have been edited or posted since just before Christmas. Is this a permanent change or a temporary nuisance?

Regards

Ray

Andy by way of comparison go look at the GOG forum that always is E L E C T R I C  in it's speed when opening the site.

Knowing what you know about web sites might give you a clue as to why RM is so darn slow.

Here link for you to try - http://www.gauge0guild.com/

You have to be a member to see all the site but you will get the feel of it.

Regards

• RMweb Premium

The GOG website looks very basic. RMweb, being a forum, has to do a lot of tracking of each member's postings. When you consider there are over 18,000 members (and who knows how many other visitors who just view the site), then it becomes more apparent that the server in the background has to do a great deal of work to keep things moving.

Ahh cheers for that Ian I don't have a deep knowledge of these web forums only seeing it as an end user.  To me they seem to do very similar thing but yes I can see that here at RM more people and that there is quite a lot more activities going on.

If that's the reason for the speed difference then in my simple world is the simple answer to get a more chunky server to drive it, maybe something that is auto-rampable to meet the times of higher demand.

I think I need to leave the fix to the experts I'm just identifying an issue.

Best regards

The server does have quite a bit to do with tracking which page each member is on and remembering read/unread threads etc, but this is fairly standard on most forum software, so I would guess the main source of delay is the running of scripts each time a new page is loaded and the serving of the ads, the latter adding quite a lot to server interrogation time.

Well that somebody must have switched it back to  s l o w  cos it's back to diver boots in a treacle sea again.

To be fair it's very variable and it doesn't appear to be slow consistantly with set times.

Any chance that a sticky can be made for server state and general updates a bit like my BB provider does, you know along the lines of:  3 days since last outage  -  fault known - working on it - all faults cleared etc.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Along with a few others, it seems that page loading time has significantly lengthened for me too today.  Almost like being back on dial-up - well perhaps not quite that slow, but you get the general idea. 

• RMweb Premium

It's 17:40 on Tuesday evening and I just got a database error and a post I made in the Hornby 2-BIL thread was lost in an electronic black hole.

All seems fine now though...

• RMweb Premium

I dropped in to see what the latest was since the response has been a little sluggish of late but all I got was the above ^^^^^  for several attempts.  Back in service now but still thinks and draws breath before serving a page.

I must agree with the previous posts; the speed on RMWeb has definitely got pretty erratic again recently. This visit it took about 30 seconds to serve the login page and a similar time to actually log me in. Pages are coming in fairly slowly this afternoon (14.25 UK) compared to how it was yesterday.

I'm on a fast Mac on a very fast (64000 down/8500 up BT Infinity connection) and other sites I visit with complicated content, lots of photos and which also have forums load in the blink of an eye. I have tried RMWeb on different browsers on different platforms and if its slow, it's slow everywhere.

It seems churlish to complain, as the content and contributions on this site are beyond compare and I have learned a lot from reading the posts from the very experienced contributors here, but it is very frustrating when the site is misbehaving to have to wait repeatedly for pages to be loaded, or sometimes not at all.

One other minor grumble: the banner ads in between the subject areas are beginning to become very irritating. This what the DCC area looks like:

I do understand that RMWeb needs advertising revenue, but a plastering of banners starts to become counterproductive as people will deliberately NOT click on the adverts when they become as annoyingly intrusive as this and overpower the actual content. The addition of a little space between the headings and the banners would improve matters!

Any chance of an admin giving us a clue what's happening with the server performance.

CONTENT GREAT - - DELIVERY POOR

Also a quick ref point to get information when there are site problems would be great instead of having to trawl through may posts here to see if anybody is doing anything..

I also seem to be losing post when checking back.

• RMweb Premium

a quick ref point to get information when there are site problems would be great

If you have a Facebook account this is available.  Search for "RMweb Andy" who has consistently kept us advised there when problems arise and we lose communication via this site.

One other minor grumble: the banner ads in between the subject areas are beginning to become very irritating. This what the DCC area looks like:

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I do understand that RMWeb needs advertising revenue, but a plastering of banners starts to become counterproductive as people will deliberately NOT click on the adverts when they become as annoyingly intrusive as this and overpower the actual content. The addition of a little space between the headings and the banners would improve matters!

That's an unfortunate side-effect (one example only) of the same sponsor covering four different sections; it would require a code re-write to get around that which would be a pain I'm afraid. I can add space but then I get people grumbling about wasted space and scrolling.

Any chance of an admin giving us a clue what's happening with the server performance.

CONTENT GREAT - - DELIVERY POOR

Also a quick ref point to get information when there are site problems would be great instead of having to trawl through may posts here to see if anybody is doing anything..

I also seem to be losing post when checking back.

When there are global issues I place a note across the top of every page on site, as Rick says I use Facebook to updated people when there are server outages. I can't really give any meaningful answers when it's a variable performance issue which can be a result of contemporary traffic/local line contention/time of day/browser performance and version. I wouldn't say delivery is poor, some users may find it unsatisfactory on occasion but it's by no means everyone all of the time. I have asked Dediserve to look into loadings though but no specific issues have come back yet.

Our Facebook Wall, which I ocasionally visit to see what the numpties are having for breakfast, now runs very slowly. Trouble is the idiots 'share' things they have been looking at on other sites and so ads appear all over the timeline wall. Cousin coach likes the latest multimillion Merc.....Oh yeh....Do me a favour!  Grand-daughter coach want to know your birthday.....That'll be the day! Three people have unfriended you....Thank f*ck! Following such links enables further cross pollination. Last year when RMweb was crashing, I borrowed a organ to fill in the time-slots! :sarcastic:

That's an unfortunate side-effect (one example only) of the same sponsor covering four different sections; it would require a code re-write to get around that which would be a pain I'm afraid. I can add space but then I get people grumbling about wasted space and scrolling.  When there are global issues I place a note across the top of every page on site, as Rick says I use Facebook to updated people when there are server outages. I can't really give any meaningful answers when it's a variable performance issue which can be a result of contemporary traffic/local line contention/time of day/browser performance and version. I wouldn't say delivery is poor, some users may find it unsatisfactory on occasion but it's by no means everyone all of the time. I have asked Dediserve to look into loadings though but no specific issues have come back yet.

A very small amount of extra space under the headings is all that is really needed so ha we can avoid clicking own those infernal banners!

If you have a Facebook account this is available.  Search for "RMweb Andy" who has consistently kept us advised there when problems arise and we lose communication via this site.

Like a significant number of people, I'd rather not have anything to do with FaecesBook!

Archived