Server response getting a bit ponderous again...

Thanks Andy Y

I tend not to look at FB when the site is up even when slow as why would you place information there while the site is working albeit somewhat ponderously. I only go to FB when the site is down.

Far better to have a STATE OF PLAY  first line of this site, blinking and or scrolling accross the top so that every visitor can see it even if it only says some visitors may experience slow page loading.but we are investigating it.

Regards

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy Y

I tend not to look at FB when the site is up even when slow as why would you place information there while the site is working albeit somewhat ponderously. I only go to FB when the site is down.

Far better to have a STATE OF PLAY  first line of this site, blinking and or scrolling accross the top so that every visitor can see it even if it only says some visitors may experience slow page loading.but we are investigating it.

Regards

Seconded!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Well XF, as I said on page one of this post "my connection is fine on upto 70Meg fibre BB".so I don't think connection is an issue for me.   I up and D/L quite big files so I'm critical of slow speeds hence getting myself this Fibre BB set up.
As I've said the content is very good It's just very slow getting there.

I also have done test at various times of the day/night and found it still slow which would imply that number loading is not a cause.

I'll do some more check and also note my BB speed test at the same time just incase my guaranteed speed is being compromised.

Regards

• RMweb Premium

My point is that response can be different for different people at different times. It's not necessarily consistent enough to warrant an alert. When it is; I do so.

Your point is accepted; many sites have variable access speeds.

What IS consistent, in my experience, is that RMweb is invariably MUCH slower than any other site / group that I visit at any particular time.

Not a complaint as such; merely an observation concerning my personal experience.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

PS. Here in Cornwall I am on BT Infinity Broadband, which seems to have NO speed issues, other than with RMweb.

• RMweb Premium

Well XF, as I said on page one of this post "my connection is fine on upto 70Meg fibre BB".so I don't think connection is an issue for me.   I up and D/L quite big files so I'm critical of slow speeds hence getting myself this Fibre BB set up.

As I've said the content is very good It's just very slow getting there.

I also have done test at various times of the day/night and found it still slow which would imply that number loading is not a cause.

I'll do some more check and also note my BB speed test at the same time just incase my guaranteed speed is being compromised.

Regards

I am also on fibre now, although via a different supplier than BT. I have no significant problems with speed of any site including RMweb loading, but there are times when RMweb is slower (normally the same times as others here have trouble).

Why you would be having problems with RMweb specifically I don't know for sure. The only thing I can think of would be some kind of artificial restriction on it being imposed somewhere in the server chain of the internet between you and the RMweb server? I was going to suggest doing a trace route (tracert on a Windows command line) to see what servers you're going through, but I've just tried one and it doesn't seem to be completing :scratchhead:

• RMweb Gold

(tracert on a Windows command line) to see what servers you're going through, but I've just tried one and it doesn't seem to be completing :scratchhead:

When RMweb moved to cloud servers, Stephen at Dediserve explained that there is a firewall in place and tracert/ping will never complete.

The slowness is almost certainly due to the IPB software and not anything to do with servers or connections. If you try a download direct from RMweb (i.e. not using the IPB software) it runs fine -- e.g. right click on http://rmweb.co.uk/MI2.pdf

regards,

Martin.

I am not techie at all but I have to say that I feel this forum has been watered down way too much from it's original intention.

Surely a railway modelling forum is all about using the medium of writing to share thoughts, opinions and views on model railways. So why do we have to have the "word processing" package turned off so we are unable to use " ", highlighting, strikethrough etc, whilst other gimmickds like SU and marketplace continue. I feel the original direction of RMweb is lost and replaced by a bells and whistles arcade of "non core" model railway purpose.

Or am I on a different planet ?

• RMweb Gold

So why do we have to have the "word processing" package turned off so we are unable to use " ", highlighting, strikethrough etc,

Hi Phil,

You have turned it off yourself at some stage.

To turn it back on, click the top left icon above posting area.

regards,

Martin.

• RMweb Premium

Wow that's a useful piece of info Martin.  I've had all the advanced posting options greyed out for months and not realised they had somehow got turned off by a stray click from me. The button that turns them on looks like it is greyed out like all the others.  Now they're back!

Cheers

Dave

Hi Phil,

You have turned it off yourself at some stage.

To turn it back on, click the top left icon above posting area.

regards,

Martin.

that explains it.

I reported a post over the christmas period and was PM'd by Andy Y to sort the problem out. On Dec 26 he gave me some instructions which involved turning something off. I didn't realise it as only a temporary thing and I was actually able to turn the package back on and use it.

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

Lunchtime on Wednesday and the site is very slow to load again.  This seems to be a fairly common problem at this time of day which suggests either this is when an automatic back up takes place or somewhere else on the line is something that gets hit heavily at lunchtimes.

• RMweb Gold

Lunchtime on Wednesday and the site is very slow to load again.  This seems to be a fairly common problem at this time of day which suggests either this is when an automatic back up takes place or somewhere else on the line is something that gets hit heavily at lunchtimes.

Everysite gets slow, at our place, during lunch! - All the downloads, you tubes and surfin to be done.

Well, more than at other times anyway. ;)

Kev.

(But other sites do load quicker than this important one!)

• RMweb Gold

Moving from page to page is generally slow on my PC, so if I haven't visited a thread for a few days and there are no less than 9 pages to wade through, then I'm afraid such threads have lost me now for good.

Hi Larry,

Open several pages in separate tabs first, then go back to read the first one while the others are loading. By the time you are ready to move to the next page, it will have arrived.

regards,

Martin.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived