RMweb

The stuff we collect. What have you got in your railway memorabilia collection?

Once again its good to see everyone's pictures and read about your collections.

So I will continue my theme of Brook Crossing on the Reading to Tonbridge line, between the stations of Chilworth and Gomshell. This is the steel and enamel 'CATCH POINTS' sign that I found laying face down in the undergrowth not far from the crossing in the 1980s.

">http://DSCF5770.jpg

I had decided to take a look in case anything was left from the days of the manually operated gates, the land bordering the railway fence is common land and a short distance from the crossing on the Chilworth side, laying face down at the top of the cutting and almost completely covered in undergrowth I discovered it.

The catch points would have been used to protect the gates and road in case of rolling stock running away, the line is well known for it's adverse grades.

I can remember a similar catch point protecting the gates at Tangley Crossing in Chilworth, which was within site and sound of my childhood home, and waking one morning to find that an overnight freight train had stalled, straddling the crossing, run back far enough for 2 mineral wagons to be derail on the sprung catch points and end up in the back garden of a bungalow.

This was great entertainment for a child, with both road and railway blocked, a steam crane in operation and being on a main London Country bus route the normally single manned buses all had a conductor in attendance to enable the buses to turn around and reverse some distance back to the blocked crossing with the conductor shouting directions from the open emergency exit at the rear of the bus. The passengers then trooped on foot over the crossing to change buses and continue their journeys.

Edited by bubbles2
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We had a neighbour who worked on BR many years ago who gave me an old paraffin fuelled lamp to put out by my car at night. You have to be a certain age to remember the need for this kind of thing I suppose. That is how I came by an LNWR lamp that is still waiting to be "restored". I also have a Furness Railway rail chair embossed FR and 1899. This has a large original rusted bolt in one hole. I daren't try to knock the thing out in case it cracks the base. Perhaps the bolt will add to its value, you never know.

• RMweb Gold

Also a GWR paraffin hand lamp, with GWR stamped on the paraffin reservoir and on a brass plate on the body.  It has a red and blue lens.  The yellow flame gives a green colour.  There is a space in the circular lens holder, which gives the yellow colour.

Actually it's 'white' - not yellow Paul.  Lamps which could show yellow had a yellow shade - the lamp you have would be a Guard's or Shunter's handlamp and it needs to be able to show red, green or white.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Alas time doesn't stand still...........

Brook Crossing Box ceased to be a block post in 1955 and closed totally on 19th July 1965, displaced by automatic half barriers. The little South Eastern & Chatham Rly crossing keepers cottage was swept away along with all the others along this cross country railway line.

Not Quite! (The cottage that is)

Buckland crossing (like Brook, converted to a AHB) still has its keepers cottage (I believe its now owned by a current NR signalman and has been fitted with an extension)

See https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=buckland&ll=51.250181,-0.254654&spn=0.001466,0.004128&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Buckland,+Surrey,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=51.25037,-0.254542&panoid=mXcpo15vyhB3OBX91XSWJw&cbp=12,351.48,,0,-2.57

Bristol Barrow Road Shed had a Roster Board for its engines and turns.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bristolsteam/5238032214/

Bristol engines had small red metal numbers for use of the Board.

Here are two of the Jubilees allocated to Barrow Road in 1964

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bristolsteam/5765018981/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bristolsteam/5765566970/

Edited by Pobrien

Not Quite! (The cottage that is)

Buckland crossing (like Brook, converted to a AHB) still has its keepers cottage (I believe its now owned by a current NR signalman and has been fitted with an extension)

See https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=buckland&ll=51.250181,-0.254654&spn=0.001466,0.004128&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&hnear=Buckland,+Surrey,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=51.25037,-0.254542&panoid=mXcpo15vyhB3OBX91XSWJw&cbp=12,351.48,,0,-2.57

Thanks for that Phil, I wonder how that one escaped being demolished. You have to love trains to want to live that close to them, or rely upon them for your living. 

• RMweb Gold

I'm slowly building up bits and pieces for my one day man room - mostly targets from the Reading to Waterloo Line. There's no real back story except they're items that my family would have stood near, seen and travelled through their various locations during large parts of their life. A little nod to the past I guess.

7c45bf6bbc3073787f316de1cdbf4dbc.jpg

Although I do have a restoration project that's probably more suited to a garage wall. I've got a photo of my Uncle (who got me into this hobby) stood in front of it in the 1960s - there's a couple of little blemishes that allow it to be matched up (plus a whole load more that it's collected in the last 40 years!).

iphonemabob001.jpg

Pix

Regular passing places for me travelling in BILs (topical!),HALs, 4CORs. Used to go racing at Ascot with my Dad. Never got out at Longcross as IIRC it was monitored by the FVRDE (Fighting Vehicle Research and Development Establishment)...all a bit top secret then!

Nice to see the target signs. I wonder who owns one from Egham or Virginia Water! I'd surely love to own one of them.

About all that I have left now is my London, Brighton & South Coast Railway chair. It was my office chair that I bought for the then customary disposal price of £2 plus VAT.

It came from the Exmouth Junc carriage shops who used to repair the office furniture in the area in exchange for a broken GWR one!

I suppose that it should accompany the Balcombe team at shows when we finally complete the viaduct!

post-6728-0-42597600-1360501814_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Ok thanks once again for all the interesting pictures but especially the stories behind them.

Here is my next item.

">http://DSCF5776.jpg

Again it is from the Reading, Redhill, Tonbridge line.

There is a pond between the platform and road at Chilworth and Albury station and that is where I found this sign.

My original primary school was just past this pond on the opposite side of the road and every school day I would walk past the pond to get to the bus stop by the railway station to catch my bus home. The last year at primary school we transferred to a brand new school a sort distance the other side of the station so I no longer had to pass the pond and it was only then, at age 10,  that I was allowed by my mother and father to cycle to school and roam a bit further from home.

I think it must have been one of my many visits to the station that I saw in the mud at the side of the pond, the part of the sign with SOUTH on it. When I plucked up the courage to wriggle through the iron railings and pull it free of the mud I found the rest of the sign bent at 90 degrees and the enamel part that once said EASTERN rusted away where the level of pond water had been rising and falling with the seasons over the years.

Anyway I cycled home with it bent it straight, cleaned the mud off and its been following me about for the last 45 years now.

Edited by bubbles2
  • Like 3

I have found a few things after a rummage about, loads of SR/WR related loco fault books and manuals, a couple of SR shunters paraffin lamps, and a tinful of various drivers badges.

I sold a few bits and bobs on eBay recently including a few Bardic lamps and a section of bullhead rail from Droxford station...Winston Churchill himself may have travelled over it during the planning of D-Day, now in use as a door stop!

Just dug these out too, the large GEC plates were very briefly fitted in the cabs of the class 508's when new on the SR a while back.Bits_zps7adf7f38.jpg

• 5 months later...

I've just found out I own (according to railwayana.net) one of the ten 'highest priced at auction' shedplates! (Not the actual one that was auctioned, of course :no: , but one just like it.)

This raises the question - do I try selling it (with no guarantee that it would command the same price) to provide money to buy other items I would rather have for sentimental reasons, or just be happy that I own such a desirable thing? Decisions, decisions ...

• RMweb Premium

All I have is an offical photo of my grandfather receiving an award for the quality of his track work (he was a ganger at Ludgershall on the old MSWJR line), His GWR pass, a Southern Railway rules book which must have been issued to him when BR (SR) took over the line in 1958, there should be also his railway scrap book but after dozens of moves at the moment I can't find that.

the Q

• RMweb Gold

My main "prize posessions" amongst a load of flotsum and jetsum.

MS&LR cast iron SWITCH sign from Beighton.

30A shed plate from D8200.

A GWR hand painted coat of arms from 1931 from Wolverhampton Stafford Road works, done by a late friend of the family and signed by him, who was a painter there. Done as his end of apprenticeship test piece I was led to believe.

Mike.

The one thing I'd like is the "Zero" Midland Railway milepost at the south end of Derby station as it represents the spiritual heart of the system.

or a Concrete SR PWay hut..........................

The one thing I missed was the L&SWR railway "Cross the line by the footbridge sign" from the platform 9 wall at Clapham Jn (it went AWOL during a track renewal in 2004).

I have....................

Every platform ticket I've ever bought since 1972,

Bits of paper from all kinds of place - especially those long paper train destination lists that are amazingly still stuck in coach windows (simple ideas always work).

A beautiful brass L&SWR mercury rail temperature thermometer bequeathed to me by my Track Section Manager at Woking when he retired.

A 6ft length of broad gauge era "Barlow" rail (not that common old Brunel bridge rail stuff that you can find everywhere !) recovered from Bramley on the Reading - Basingstoke line.

A 1935 SR bullhead & a 1918 LSWR bullhead rail chair.

A near perfect enamel "Danger Don't touch Conductor Rails" recovered from a PW hut near Hook (Bournemouth electrification) but I suspect is older (enamel in 1967 ??)

Rail fixings of all descriptions - the Jackdaw in me has a weakness for the different coloured Pandrol clips !

5 SR concrete mileposts (including one for the house number at the end of the drive) - all were broken off during the "blue diamond" scheme and it seemed rude not to recover them.

2 SR concrete division/area boundary markers - both perfectly good pieces of in-situ lineside memorabilia until the track renewal contractor broke the post on both - another rescue effort !

LSWR cast iron boundary marker........................have a GWR one in my sights

• Informative/Useful 1

4949 Packwood Hall

Close up of number and shed plate

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55350440@N06/8995872800/in/photolist-eGWczb-9SqCAS-9o26i7

Front number sees rare daylight

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bristolsteam/8995872758/

Myself in cab of engine on final day at Bristol St Philips Marsh Shed

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55350440@N06/5500029980/in/photolist-9o26i7

• Like 1

My BR leather driver's bag from 1974, well-worn!! My enamel tea-can from 1970 succumbed to tin worm on the KESR about 3 years ago and was thrown on the scrap with great ceremony...

From LT, a SOUTH ACTON destination plate; the sign from the South Kensington Exhibition subway (about 8' long), plus loads of other odds.

And my memories of happier (and sometimes not so happy) times when the railway was a railway!

Edited by roythebus
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have this six foot square lump of wood which set me back the princely sum of fifteen quid many many years ago:

post-6910-0-49527000-1374092171_thumb.jpg

Would like to find some replacement cast letters for the ones that are missing at some point.  The full text reads:

post-6910-0-28514200-1374092392.jpg

The red letters are the ones missing but can be deduced by the marks remaining on the wood.

• Like 1

When i was kid,i use to spend alot of time at Chester railway station,of weekend :no: in that time i got to no most of the station staff and the drivers too.

And use to have freebys given to me!! ive got fer few station uniform "hats" and clip on "ties" :sungum: when i can ile dig them out!! and post some pictures up on here.... :no:

Edited by class"66"

• 2 months later...