The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Successful prosecution of a level crossing light jumper

beast66606

• RMweb Gold

Some of you may remember that I captured a level crossing jumper on camera and contacted the BTP.

The guys turned up and took my evidence away, and it all went quiet.

Today I received a letter thanking me for my assistance, stating how vital my statement and evidence were.

The result was a successful prosecution leading to a fine, costs and penalty points for the culprit, so between me and the BTP there is one person who will, hopefully, stop and obey the lights at level crossings in future,

The police should not need to rely on freelance photographers. Why are crossings not equipped with fixed cameras similar to those used in conjunction with some road junctions to catch drivers who disregard the signals?

If fixed cameras were used would motorists treat them with the contempt they show for speed cameras and those at junctions? Very probably, after all there are some who think the law does not apply to them however it is enforced. But if the cameras were self funding (by using a percentage of the fines collected for their upkeep) there would be little or no financial reason for NR not to use them and if fines don't work a ban when enough points are awarded tends to bring home the message to even the most arrogant drivers.

I'm pretty sure the driver in this case is not going to be discouraged from reoffending at crossings where there is no trainspotter on duty (ie virtually every crossing he encounters in the future) but the clearly visible deterrent of a fixed camera might just make him think again.

But if the cameras were self funding (by using a percentage of the fines collected for their upkeep) there would be little or no financial reason for NR not to use them and if fines don't work a ban when enough points are awarded tends to bring home the message to even the most arrogant drivers.

Since it is road users and not trains who jump the barriers, surely it is the road users and not the train users who should pay for the cameras?

Ian

Because level crossing offences are more serious than speeding or passing a red traffic light, there would be fewer of them and some/all would warrant a more expensive prosecution rather than a simple fixed penalty notice.  Therefore I suspect it would be difficult to finance crossing cameras this way. 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the likes and comments all - I'll happily do it again if I get the chance, I don't have a problem doing my bit to make the railways both safer and pleasant for public, enthusiasts and staff alike - just in case any of my detractors are trying to make something of this, I deliberately posted it in W&S so any likes would not add to my total, but I am rather taken aback by the number !

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Beast, every effort appreciated :)

As to the comments above about cameras the problem is its a highway issue and NR can support an initiative but not install cameras as it isn't their land where the cameras would need to be. The photos need to include the lights for proof. Cost and red tape I'm afraid are the barrier, as to fines funding a bridge they aren't anywhere near doing that.

Having worked manual gates, full barriers and monitored AHB's every single one is abused. On manual gates as soon as one gate is closed the red disc is a red traffic light but it didn't stop them weaving round while you were closing another heavy gate. I let go of the gate as you don't want to be caught by that rebounding! Let them explain the damage to the car on the wrong side of the road in court. I've also recieved abuse and moaning when operating full and AHBs on manual just because they are always in such a hurry. Amazing how quick they run when you pull the camera out.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the likes and comments all - I'll happily do it again if I get the chance, I don't have a problem doing my bit to make the railways both safer and pleasant for public, enthusiasts and staff alike - just in case any of my detractors are trying to make something of this, I deliberately posted it in W&S so any likes would not add to my total, but I am rather taken aback by the number !

A measure of how people feel on this subject, Dave, that's all. You have struck a blow on a lot of behalfs. Incidentally, "likes" on W&S do count - how do you think I have so many?! - it's the post-count that doesn't get incremented.

Fine, Dave, have another "like" from me!

• RMweb Gold

My only apprehension about all this is that railway photographers may, like speed cameras, be mindlessly vandalised because a certian number of "Hard Core Highway Code Deniers" don't like their presence for preventing them from doing as they think (or rather don't think) fit.

We are wandering slightly but I've been abused by plenty of people just for having the camera, never mind any deterrent they may feel I bring.

An amusing version - Myself and a fellow WFRM member were awaiting a coal train off Liverpool docks, we were on an over bridge at Edge Lane, Liverpool, near to the bridge was a pub, the coal was running late so we were there for a while, during our stay a man kept appearing from the pub, walking towards us, stopping and walking back, each time getting a bit closer.  Eventually he plucked up the nerve and spoke to us, "What you doing lads ?" "Photographing the trains" "Thank flip* for that, the lads thought you were the soach** and have been hiding around the back" (he was the pub landlord)

* - flip is probably not exactly the word used.

** - soach = Social Security Investigators.

• RMweb Gold

I have seen level crossing gates nearly hit the roof of a car, he soon reversed out rather than get stuck on the line.

I've seen them bounce off the roof, a colleague landed them between car and caravan amongst other incidents. People seem to assume they stop quickly forgetting that a long boom has quite a bit of momentum.

Best one we've seen is the photo of the new barriers down at Sherborne where a Dutch lorry fouled the barrier as he didn't allow for a queue beyond the crossing when he went for it with the yellow flashing, the company? Boom Transport, I kid you not!!!!! 

Archived