billyb_imp

• RMweb Premium

Hi billyb_imp,

I saw your thread heading but noticed your post on Great West Road so I went there first.

Interesting that you have a steam and diesel depot. It looks as though I may pick up a few tips here for my 1960s era so keep posting.

I definitely couldn't handle a 4ft deep layout - we had one temporarily - 2ft now being my prefered choice.

All the best,

Short Shedster

Hi billyb_imp,

I saw your thread heading but noticed your post on Great West Road so I went there first.

Interesting that you have a steam and diesel depot. It looks as though I may pick up a few tips here for my 1960s era so keep posting.

I definitely couldn't handle a 4ft deep layout - we had one temporarily - 2ft now being my prefered choice.

All the best,

Short Shedster

I too am modelling 60's era so we get best of both worlds, with regards to the 4 ft section I am reviewing this a foot of it may need to go

Ready for a day down the shed, tasks for today, bit of a tidy up & rearrange the work area from soldering to tack laying, 5 lengths of straight to gown (some round the bends) along with 5 sets of points, all soldered with droppers from yesterdays efforts.

Then run the Class 08 over it all to make sure it's ok (the track that is), I already have 1 set of points it wont run over so a bit of tinkering to be done there.

It has been said on this thread several times that I will have a problem with the areas of my baseboards that are 4 foot wide, well your right, the extra foot I built on to the existing boards will have to come off, it seemed like a good idea at the time about six months ago, that was prior to joining this forum,

I am physically having to climb on top of the baseboards to lay track at the moment, I will get Mags to take a photo & post later.

Luckily when I built the extra foot on, the timbers were fixed together with screws, not glued & nailed, so it will come off reasonably easily but I will leave it for now as it gives me some additional worktop space which is handy at the moment.

As promised photographic evidence of me having to clamber on top of the base to lay track, so you are all correct I need to remove a good foot of baseboard around the L shaped part of the baseboards 

Note the strategic placement of the first aid box

P1000894_zps42f1cbc2.jpg

P1000898_zps0c90f919.jpg

Thanks to Mags for coming down & taking the photos, I am trying to persuade her to join the forum as she is responsible for building construction, although another beginner like me.

Hi Biilyb

Great to see someone getting right into the job. 

I think things will move pretty quickly once the track is in place as it seems to raise the enthusiasm levels to see how the finished layout looks, it's just all the niggly little details that take the time and seem to slow things up.

Keep up the good work.

Jim

Hi Biilyb

Great to see someone getting right into the job. 

I think things will move pretty quickly once the track is in place as it seems to raise the enthusiasm levels to see how the finished layout looks, it's just all the niggly little details that take the time and seem to slow things up.

Keep up the good work.

Jim

Jim

Yes things are moving, it seems that once I see some track down I feel I have achieved something, onwards then

It's nice to see a bit of 'fine adjustment' taking place  :jester: (photo 2)

Duncan

Duncan

I suppose it does seem a bit heavy handed with that hammer, I really must get a smaller one, though their is a tracksetta between the hammerhead & the track, the final driving of the track pin is done with a nail punch but with that same big hammer

• RMweb Premium

As promised photographic evidence of me having to clamber on top of the base to lay track, so you are all correct I need to remove a good foot of baseboard around the L shaped part of the baseboards 

Note the strategic placement of the first aid box

P1000894_zps42f1cbc2.jpg

Thanks to Mags for coming down & taking the photos, I am trying to persuade her to join the forum as she is responsible for building construction, although another beginner like me.

I also note the fire extinguisher - can we expect some live steam????  Maybe a gas mask needed on the H&S list as well.

When I had another look at your track diagram, it did occur to me that if you kept (some of that) 4ft, put the landscaping at the back and the track within arms reach.   Just something I read somewhere...sometime...or other.

Glad to see you're making progress.  Some good photos there, too.

Polly

Short Shedster

Nice job Billy, to make your life easier in respect of track pins, have a look at this link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2mm-PIN-PUSHER-FOR-PLANK-ON-FRAME-MODEL-BOAT-BUILDING-/310577248351?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item484fd8b85f&_uhb=1

It is a pin pusher suitable for fine Peco track pins and should save a lot of wastage. I have always used a pin drill on sleepers before I lay track so the pin goes through easily when you have the correct position.

I am probably 3-6 months behind you in my shed, slightly smaller at 12x10.

Nice job Billy, to make your life easier in respect of track pins, have a look at this link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2mm-PIN-PUSHER-FOR-PLANK-ON-FRAME-MODEL-BOAT-BUILDING-/310577248351?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item484fd8b85f&_uhb=1

It is a pin pusher suitable for fine Peco track pins and should save a lot of wastage. I have always used a pin drill on sleepers before I lay track so the pin goes through easily when you have the correct position.

I am probably 3-6 months behind you in my shed, slightly smaller at 12x10.

Gruffalo

Thanks for the info looks very useful I will have one of those, luckily one of my local suppliers Digitrains have them in stock so I will pick one up.

Have you got a thread on here showing the progress of your layout

Not much to show with regards to laying of track, so I thought I would show you my work bench for the days soldering session. It's very important to have everything to hand, it helps your work flow.

Luckily the shed is well within range of the home WiFi so I can keep up with everything on the forums and do any research if I need to, Music in the background as well, Chris Rea at the moment

workbenchsetup01_zps0879b55b.jpg

A typical PECO electrofrog, links cut to isolate & rails joined with droppers soldered in place

PECOpointelectrofogsoldered_zps576d287d.

"Shedtastic!" :mosking:

Bit of a cock up today well last weekend actually, found the problem today.

Using PECO electro-frog points, I soldered my droppers in place, so bonding the two rails together as advised (I will be using Cobalts) and fixed the point to my base board. Today I came to test the track with my Class 08 having attached the aforementioned points to, on one end a diamond crossing & another set of points at the other end I had straight track going off into the distance and round the bend, very pleased with myself at this point due to my progress at getting some track down.

It didn't work, why didn't it work, because I had a short across the tracks, why did I have a short, because I forgot to remove those 2 little bits of wire under the PECO points.  :angry:

That old adage "measure twice cut once" applies or something very similar "check connections twice lay once" maybe  :scratchhead:

That old adage "measure twice cut once" applies or something very similar "check connections twice lay once" maybe  :scratchhead:

and check the holes for the point motor pins before securing the point. Lesson I learned the hard way. :ireful:

Duncan

Gruffalo

Thanks for the info looks very useful I will have one of those, luckily one of my local suppliers Digitrains have them in stock so I will pick one up.

Have you got a thread on here showing the progress of your layout

No thread yet Billy; I have a track plan, baseboard plans, started on wiring drawings but nothing solid to picture. I hope to start publishing sometime later this month.

The Great Sheddington Junction Rail Disaster of 2013

Today about 100 meters of track was ripped up in a disaster that rocked the small tight nit community of Sheddington

An eye witness is quoted as saying "It was like a hurricane came in from nowhere & just ripped the track up as ift it was a model railway, it was horrible, we are devastated"

Experts think the root cause was poor construction methods by the contractor, an investigation is under way

A spokesman for Sheddington Rail Company said "This is a minor hiccup  on a project such as this their are bound to be small problems  these can quickly be ironed out, the community should not get to worried and we hope to have the area repaired by mid day"

Report brought to you by a Lunester roving reporter

P1000900_zps9dac3d0b.jpg

Is it true that VT's RB will challenge the award of the franchise to The Sheddington Rail Company? I heard that there are junior government ministers worried they may be caught in the fall-out! Shedwork Rail continues placidly throughout!

Is it true that VT's RB will challenge the award of the franchise to The Sheddington Rail Company? I heard that there are junior government ministers worried they may be caught in the fall-out! Shedwork Rail continues placidly throughout!

A Sheddington Rail Company spokesman replied "We feel that this part of the network is in safe hands and we shall carry on regardless  this minor problem was down to a single person employed in the construction who is getting on a bit and has memory problems, so its just not our fault"

Industrial Report

Sheddington Rail Company have released a statement 'We are looking into the effectiveness or our tendering process as a matter of urgency'

The HSE are starting an investigation and believe from the initial reports that the problem lies with the 'standards of training and supervision'

:jester:

Duncan - Industrial Lunester Reporter

Industrial Report

Sheddington Rail Company have released a statement 'We are looking into the effectiveness or our tendering process as a matter of urgency'

The HSE are starting an investigation and believe from the initial reports that the problem lies with the 'standards of training and supervision'

:jester:

Duncan - Industrial Lunester Reporter

A sheddington Rail Company spokesman have said they are shocked & surprised that the HSE would think that their would be a problem with SRC Supervision or training methods, going on to say SRC have spent several pounds on a Health, Safety & Quality manual on eBay and it took us over 2 hours to make it unique & specific to SRC it is a document that we are proud of and we expect all our employees to be using it in the very near future.

The Sheddington Railway Company MD has announced that all repairs & testing following the disaster are now complete, he went on to say "if anything like that ever happens again I will eat my station masters hat" he also thanked the local Sheddington & Lunester community for there help at this trying time

Report brought to you by a Lunester roving reporter

Archived