billyb_imp

• RMweb Premium

Hi Billy. Just popped in for a catch-up and I find "on the job" photos of the man himself! Wow. You don't get those on Kirkby Luneside - I think that if I show my face nobody would look at the thread. Hence the cat avatar!

Looks like you've weathered the "track storm". Plenty of advice being offered, especially from the Lunesters!

Keep up the good work. The more Lunesters building layouts, the better!

Jeff

The Sheddington Railway Company MD has announced that all repairs & testing following the disaster are now complete, he went on to say "if anything like that ever happens again I will eat my station masters hat" he also thanked the local Sheddington & Lunester community for there help at this trying time

Report brought to you by a Lunester roving reporter

Have you placed an order for a rice-paper hat, just in case? Glad to see prompt action has been taken though, nothing more depressing than hitting a snag that takes a long time to resolve.

Hi Billy, I have just had a look at an earlier pic of you on the baseboard and what I was wondering was how you intended to get to the FIRE EXTINGUISHER and FIRST AID KIT once everything is in place?

Troublesome Old Shedster :sungum:

Hi Billy, I have just had a look at an earlier pic of you on the baseboard and what I was wondering was how you intended to get to the FIRE EXTINGUISHER and FIRST AID KIT once everything is in place?

Troublesome Old Shedster :sungum:

Andy

To be honest I hadn't thought of that, when the shed was used as a workshop they were in exactly the right place, so a bit of a move around then

Billy

Good to here that everything is back on track :jester:

Duncan

Yes Duncan ready to move in the right direction, I am sure their will be problems ahead but hopefully they wont be of such a basic type, not removing those links when I have spent time soldering the droppers on the same underside of the point was a really silly thing to do or not do.

Today's tasks, include no track laying, some soldering of droppers to flexi track & points then a good tidy up around the shed.

Later I will be reviewing the overall track design as mentioned previously I am going to remove about 12 - 15 inches off the front of the L shaped baseboards, both of which are at the moment 48 inches wide. I already have quite a bit of room towards the front of the baseboards but still room for adjustment / improvement, the removal of these front sections as well as helping me reach to the back of the layout will give me more room in the operating area.

Will post new layout design later.

Morning Billy,

I am very afraid of having to change design during construction, it is my excuse for delaying action! I always thought your plan was good, although the access to some parts was going to be difficult. Rather than destroy what is good to start with, have you considered removable scenery sections at the rear of difficult areas, even though "ducking under" becomes more difficult as the birthdays tot up? Your progress does however prove how valuable proper testing will be in the final scheme.

A stock of grubby little urchins would, of course, come in handy to dive under the baseboards and pop up in the extremities as required. Does the Sheddinton Waifs & Strays home have an Urchin Placement Program to which you could subscribe?

Rgds

Gruffalo

Morning Billy,

I am very afraid of having to change design during construction, it is my excuse for delaying action! I always thought your plan was good, although the access to some parts was going to be difficult. Rather than destroy what is good to start with, have you considered removable scenery sections at the rear of difficult areas, even though "ducking under" becomes more difficult as the birthdays tot up? Your progress does however prove how valuable proper testing will be in the final scheme.

A stock of grubby little urchins would, of course, come in handy to dive under the baseboards and pop up in the extremities as required. Does the Sheddinton Waifs & Strays home have an Urchin Placement Program to which you could subscribe?

Rgds

Gruffalo

Gruffalo

Looking at my current design I do have quite a bit of open space in the main L shaped (4 ft) area, so I am only looking at small changes that will enable me to remove the 12 - 15 inches of the front of the area. As I have said previously the bit I shall be removing was only added on to the benches about 6 months ago, it is not a major job to remove all screwed or bolted on no nails or glue.

At the moment the two grand urchins are not interested to much but maybe one day, because of course I am doing all this for them  :no:

I don't seem to have much to show for 4 days work after having to take up about half the track I had down but still I do bow have one track going through the station area, that which is down as been tested my Class 08 runs through ok.

I have also altered quite a few points & soldered the droppers on them, checking them 2 or 3 times to make sure I have removed the links underneath & placed other links were needed. They will be checked again before been laid.

So on with looking at the design changes, its unlikely I will get any more track down in the next couple of weeks due to other commitments although I will find little bits I can do as & when........

P1000901_zps9f10bc9d.jpg

Gruffalo

Looking at my current design I do have quite a bit of open space in the main L shaped (4 ft) area, so I am only looking at small changes that will enable me to remove the 12 - 15 inches of the front of the area. As I have said previously the bit I shall be removing was only added on to the benches about 6 months ago, it is not a major job to remove all screwed or bolted on no nails or glue.

At the moment the two grand urchins are not interested to much but maybe one day, because of course I am doing all this for them  :no:

The two grand urchins - blimey, they're expensive, I was only thinking in terms of half a crown max!

Doing it all for them - this is what drives us all on and there are times when they seem so ungrateful.

Seriously, I am very glad you didn't use contact adhesive to glue down your track and the relaid junction looks fine without the paint stripping knife!

Gruffalo

A few changes have been made to the design that will allow the removal of at least one foot of baseboard at the from on the L shaped area, not quite ready to post full design yet as more work to do moving sheds & turntable around.

Will try & get re-drawn on AnyRail tonight

Glad to see your progress ,I have been measuring up in the garden for my new shed,wanted 11 ft deep by 9ft wide ,but the authoities declined this smaal size.After discussion its going to be10ft deep by 7ft wide this meets all planning regs of the boss and harmony is now restored.Looking forward to next lot of pics.

Glad to see your progress ,I have been measuring up in the garden for my new shed,wanted 11 ft deep by 9ft wide ,but the authoities declined this smaal size.After discussion its going to be10ft deep by 7ft wide this meets all planning regs of the boss and harmony is now restored.Looking forward to next lot of pics.

Have you thought about a planning appeal, I had a problem with my authority for a while but she relented in the end

• RMweb Premium

... more room in the operating area.

Oooohhhh - does that mean there'll be room for Lunesters and Shedsters in there?

Grand urchins - once your locos are up and running, I'll think it'll be a different story.  You'll be soon be dragging enticing them away from it...

I watched some youngsters in action at the Sodor (Thomas and Co) layout at Stafford on Saturday - talk about enthusiastic - take note - make it bomb proof.  angel_smiley105.gif  Only kid-ding.

Mind you, some of the oldies were going hard at it on their own layouts, too.

Looking forward to seeing your amended layout - not as easy as it seems, I've found out.

All the best with it

Polly

Oooohhhh - does that mean there'll be room for Lunesters and Shedsters in there?

Grand urchins - once your locos are up and running, I'll think it'll be a different story.  You'll be soon be dragging enticing them away from it...

I watched some youngsters in action at the Sodor (Thomas and Co) layout at Stafford on Saturday - talk about enthusiastic - take note - make it bomb proof.  angel_smiley105.gif  Only kid-ding.

Mind you, some of the oldies were going hard at it on their own layouts, too.

Looking forward to seeing your amended layout - not as easy as it seems, I've found out.

All the best with it

Polly

Polly

Their will be a bit more room for operating so we can all fit in

As for the Urchins, I haven't actually told them anything about the project yet, so they are blissfully unaware, maybe by about Easter they will be able to see something that they will understand belongs to a runway,

Mornig Earl Shedster, More progress I see, and that is good, please keep the pics coming and get the coffee on for Jeff and the happy gang of Lunesters when they play the home tie against the Shedsters. I will need some cake :no:  or I'm not coming out to play. hahaaaaeeeee

Rotting :O Old Shed :sungum:

Have you thought about a planning appeal, I had a problem with my authority for a while but she relented in the end

Unforunately the authorities are not for changing ,thought about an appeal to my MP but not worth the bother as he wouldnt dare argue with the boss.

So here is review 05

The main change is that the baseboards around the L shaped area near the turntable as had about a foot removed making it easier to reach to the track, removing this much baseboard and keeping the same amount of track / track side buildings makes it all looked a bit crowded but it does give me plenty of options for shunting around the yard and continuous running which is what I want.

Remember I already have started laying the track & decided on the changes to allow better access to the track which this does give me. It is unlikely I will get more track down in the next 2 weeks due to other commitments, so a fortnight to iron out any more problems.

I haven't labelled it but the area that is reached from the branch is going to be a quarry, I think, well I'm fairly sure

Any comments from you Lunesters, Shedsters & posters without any affiliation welcome as usual, in fact I need all the help I can get

00514x10800x600_zps1212f3ec.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Hi Billy,

I've a suggestion that should give you a fair bit more storage space in your fiddle yard....

If you go to KL and look at post 18, you'll see the version of my trackplan as of last March. The entry into the fiddle yard is not too dis-similar to yours.

However, if you use curved turnouts as part of your curve as you enter/leave the yard, you can gain a lot of space.

Again, KL post 743 shows this being planned with Peco profiles. In the end I went Marcway, and the entry was changed, but the principle is the same.

Now look at posts 2065 and 2952. Because the curved turnouts have already done the work for you, the straight, storage sections of your yard will be much greater. You might even gain 3 feet in your case.

Try it with Anyrail or, better still, go to the Peco site and print off their turnout outlines. costs you nothing, gains you plenty!

My plan was like yours until Mike (Stationmaster) brought this to my attention. I'm glad he did!

Jeff

Hi Billy,

I've a suggestion that should give you a fair bit more storage space in your fiddle yard....

If you go to KL and look at post 18, you'll see the version of my trackplan as of last March. The entry into the fiddle yard is not too dis-similar to yours.

Again, KL post 743 shows this being planned with Peco profiles. In the end I went Marcway, and the entry was changed, but the principle is the same.

Now look at posts 2065 and 2952. Because the curved turnouts have already done the work for you, the straight, storage sections of your yard will be much greater. You might even gain 3 feet in your case.

Try it with Anyrail or, better still, go to the Peco site and print off their turnout outlines. costs you nothing, gains you plenty!

My plan was like yours until Mike (Stationmaster) brought this to my attention. I'm glad he did!

Jeff

Jeff

Thanks for the heads up on that, I had thought that I could do something like that but just couldn't get it right in my head & so onto the design, I have downloaded your photos (hope you don't mind) to study them in greater detail, then when I've got a better understanding of how you achieved your design I will have a go on AnyRail.

As you say I could gain 2 or 3 feet, I would also end up with better access to the Cobalt's controlling the points as they would come out into an open area, my fiddle yard as it is designed at the moment is in a cupboard, I can get the track down ok but the point motors........ I am looking for an out of work contortionist or dwarf with nothing to do until the pantomime season restarts again. (not very PC I know but....)  :no:

Your index really came into it's own getting to the posts you highlighted.

Thanks again oh Mighty Lunester

• RMweb Premium

Billy, you are free to use any of my posted pics/diagrams - if they help, that's great.

Anyrail is a good programme, but I'd strongly recommend that you plan out the corners using the curved templates - because once you know where the curved points go you can flexitrack the other track to join.

Have a look at my post 723 (using conventional points in a fan shape) and compare with what you gain in post 743. It's amazing!

Jeff

Archived