billyb_imp

Having lurked around the forums for a while, I thought (or have been persuaded by Physicsman)  that I should start a thread showing my layout or its birth & construction. So here it is.

The idea is to build a layout in my shed at the bottom of the garden, not the ideal place but its the only spare room I have and its not really spare its full of tools, cycles, timber so I've had a bit of a clear out  still things to be moved out but I have an area where I can make a start.

Having read through many threads on this site including

........ and many many more I feel inspired and hopefully over the coming months years I will build something that will, if no be the equal of the above terrific layouts, something that my family & friends can relate to and enjoyed.

P1000889_zps7faee45f.jpgd

Home is where the shedster is  :no:

Hi BIllyb_imp

Glad you like my layout

were in lincoln you at im looking to have mine all put up for a few days 3rd week of feb if you wanna have a look pm me if your intrested

i like the look of the track plan is it based anywere or just some thing you made up either way should make a nice layout

are you going to insulate the shed before you start ?

Regards

JOHN

Hi BIllyb_imp

Glad you like my layout

were in lincoln you at im looking to have mine all put up for a few days 3rd week of feb if you wanna have a look pm me if your intrested

i like the look of the track plan is it based anywere or just some thing you made up either way should make a nice layout

are you going to insulate the shed before you start ?

Regards

JOHN

John

No its not based on anywhere, it will be my first build, so I want something manageable with plenty of options for movement i.e. continuous running & a fair bit of shunting.

The shed is already insulated and also has heating and a good electric supply.

I will pm you about your track run, I certainly am interested is seeing it.

Hi BIllyb_imp

That's a serious use of space there with that track plan. Though I prefer a more open look with scenics I am interested to see how your track looks once it is down as I use Peco 75 too and it is always good to see how others use it.

I see you have some pictures on your other link so I look forward to seeing the progress on here.

My wife would like to help me too but she isn't able to do the detailed stuff anymore, so apart from moral support I am on my own.

Jim

Hi BIllyb_imp

That's a serious use of space there with that track plan. Though I prefer a more open look with scenics I am interested to see how your track looks once it is down as I use Peco 75 too and it is always good to see how others use it.

I see you have some pictures on your other link so I look forward to seeing the progress on here.

My wife would like to help me too but she isn't able to do the detailed stuff anymore, so apart from moral support I am on my own.

Jim

Jim

Yes there does seem to be a lot on there, I may yet thin it down a bit but I am more interested in the movement than the scenery although it will have all the scenic's done but it is all on one level.

The blog on the other site will not be kept going to much hassle to do them both and I have had so much help & learnt so much through this forum that this is the best place to be,

Great! A proper shed layout as apposed to a Shed layout if you catch my drift.  I'm alway interested in layouts built in a shed as that is the way I will likely go this year - I'm not so interested in TMDs or steam shed layouts.

Looking forward to your progress reports.

PS no. 1 - I am particularly interested in how you insulated your shed.

PS no. 2 - Love your "Walschaertsmotionavatar"

Regards,

Great! A proper shed layout as apposed to a Shed layout if you catch my drift.  I'm alway interested in layouts built in a shed as that is the way I will likely go this year - I'm not so interested in TMDs or steam shed layouts.

Looking forward to your progress reports.

PS no. 1 - I am particularly interested in how you insulated your shed.

PS no. 2 - Love your "Walschaertsmotionavatar"

Regards,

The shed limits what I can do in some ways but its what Ive got

The shed which 14 ft x 10 ft is insulted with 50mm polystyrene insulating material on all 4 walls and the roof and then covered 6mm mdf for internal wall & ceiling, the shed when built had a frame which allowed this to be done without much additional joinery work by me.

Yes, I like it too, I wanted to use it earlier but only had a larger version which I thought may annoy some but the smaller one works well

After a big clear up with lots of things going, including a huge Scalextric that ran all over the place, the worktops have been levelled along with various cupboard shelving that the layout will run around. So I now have an are that I can make a start on.

The main station & goods yard will be on the left with the fiddle yard on the right on the cupboard shelving but that's a long way off

P1000849_zpsd891421e.jpg

Lucky man Billy, I am so envious of you room, I can't wait to move house and have a decent room to start my OO layout.

Keep the info and pics comming,

You will now need to give the layout a nickname, :O    How about SHEDSTER? :nono:

Andy,    The Old Lune, :sungum:

A little more about the make up of the track and the system to be used to run it.

I will be using PECO Code 75 Track, elecrofrog wherever I can, fully DCC controlled by an Hornby Elite controller through a PC & RailMaster software.

• RMweb Gold

Looking at your track plan,especially the depth of the boards.

Will you be able to reach into the far corners to deal with troublesome stock, placing and maintaining scenery, or are you gong to fit access panels?

Four feet deep is a lot to stretch over.

Regards

Richard

Looking at your track plan,especially the depth of the boards.

Will you be able to reach into the far corners to deal with troublesome stock, placing and maintaining scenery, or are you gong to fit access panels?

Four feet deep is a lot to stretch over.

Regards

Richard

Richard 

Yes it is an issue although I have reasonably good access due to the way the  base is built, I will be able to remove a 15 inch section from the front of the two wider areas if need be, I am hoping that the fact that the layout will all be on one level will also help me here but I may have to review this in the very near future.

So we now have some lines marked out on the baseboard with track laying roughly where it will be going. The tracksetta seems like a good tool the internal bend to the top of the photo will be 30" diameter, strange that they go up in 3 inch jumps, so using my trusty PECO 6 ft gauge I have done the outer one, so lines going round the bend ok

Feels like some things really happening now after the months of planning and indecision. Must find something to change

Next thing then solder droppers on to track so that I can actually lay them, a day of soldering then.

P1000880_zpsda59f527.jpg

• RMweb Premium

Right then, Billy...first visit of the Physicsman to "The Shed". I see the Old Lune has already been in and had his say. Most of AndyP's layouts are less than 10' x 3', so when you see what he achieves it's quite an inspiration. If you haven't already done so, have a look at his O gauge Trebudoc - incredible considering it's less than 10' and O gauge!

So you have around 14' x 10'.... The shed is very neat, too! One thing I'd say about your trackplan. If YOU are happy with it - STICK WITH IT. It looks like you've plenty of play serious running potential. My only other bit of advice is keep the curves as gentle as possible.

Since it's not based on a prototype you are free to (basically) "do what the hell you like".

I think it's great that you've started the thread. I also note one or two Lunesters have had a peek. You'll never be short of visitors!

Jeff

Right then, Billy...first visit of the Physicsman to "The Shed". I see the Old Lune has already been in and had his say. Most of AndyP's layouts are less than 10' x 3', so when you see what he achieves it's quite an inspiration. If you haven't already done so, have a look at his O gauge Trebudoc - incredible considering it's less than 10' and O gauge!

So you have around 14' x 10'.... The shed is very neat, too! One thing I'd say about your trackplan. If YOU are happy with it - STICK WITH IT. It looks like you've plenty of play serious running potential. My only other bit of advice is keep the curves as gentle as possible.

Since it's not based on a prototype you are free to (basically) "do what the hell you like".

I think it's great that you've started the thread. I also note one or two Lunesters have had a peek. You'll never be short of visitors!

Jeff

Jeff

Thank you for your words of wisdom, I am generally happy with my plan but will tweak it as I go along, it does look a bit square, I may move the station slightly counter clockwise (but still partly on the bend) that may allow me to have the bends in both directions having greater radius bends and not have them running parallel with the walls. I also sometimes think it looks a bit crowded, an engine shed may have to go.

I will certainly have a look at AndyP's layout

There have been a few Lunesters by, I'm hoping some may even come back every now and again.

Archived