Examples of my weathering...

rs4

• RMweb Premium

I love your big projects Nick!

Do you have any trouble with the weights on these yet? I had a feel of one at the club this week and they were surprisingly weighty! With the similar Bachmann JGA wagon I had to take the triangular metal weights out of some to enable a Hornby class 60 to comfortably move away with a rake of 20, at first it was properly struggling!

Looking really good so far!

Cheers,

James

• RMweb Premium

I love your big projects Nick!

Do you have any trouble with the weights on these yet? I had a feel of one at the club this week and they were surprisingly weighty! With the similar Bachmann JGA wagon I had to take the triangular metal weights out of some to enable a Hornby class 60 to comfortably move away with a rake of 20, at first it was properly struggling!

Looking really good so far!

Cheers,

James

I don't think the HIAs have separate weights like the Bachmann JGAs. The lower section of chassis is diecast in one piece including the three lower hopper sections and main hopper ends. There is a separate screwed on plastic detail over each of the lower hopper casting.

Cheers,

Mick

I felt a right heathen purchasing LNER green for the touch up this afternoon at the local train shop.....

post-1261-0-45303100-1459011645_thumb.jpeg

post-1261-0-70815600-1459011659_thumb.jpeg

James...yep, have to honest I was thinking this morning.... I've bitten off more than I can chew here..... Luckily I've made good progress today. TBA on whether they will be luggable by a 66...

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Hi Nick,

Big project!

I've had a go at painting the end doors silver. I think the prototype is unpainted aluminium that oxidises to a grey finish. I'll have a go at that next. It certainly makes a difference on the white wagons.

post-408-0-92569400-1459036213_thumb.jpg

I used a mix of mostly Revell Matt #48 and Humbrol #3 gloss green to touch in where I'd chopped out the two middle ribs and excess door lock brackets.

First wagon interior rusted. I think the buffer shanks will benefit from a brush with black.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

Hi Mick

Agreed on those buffer shanks, definitely black.

The doors ... I can see me having to do them as well !

Meanwhile.... I think that the hopper chutes are green, while the bottom doors are black. Sure I read that in a review and I've checked photos as well. Read cream for the cream wagons.

So here is one with the chutes painted green on the top half - easy enough to do, just whip off the bottom plastic moulding.

post-1261-0-41064100-1459070011_thumb.jpeg

Think I'll mask them up and airbrush..... Now where is that masking tape ??

• Like 3

Hi Nick,

Looking great! I've been undecided on whether to buy a couple to use in a depot trip working, but I think I'll hold off for now. They definitely look more realistic now, and will look superb once weathered. I'd like to see a Bachy 'shed' pull them all though! It'd struggle I reckon! :yes:

Keep up the great modelling!

Thanks,

Jack.

You have to hand it to Dapol this time Jack......seriously good model for a seriously good price....

I've applied weathered black to the end of the chutes and a bit of frame dirt. Some frame dirt around the chutes before reassembling.

They now look like this with the painted chutes:

post-1261-0-43208300-1459091639_thumb.jpeg

post-1261-0-02025400-1459091654_thumb.jpeg

Appreciate the likes and comments, have been very focused on these the past few days ... Then you wonder where the 4 day weekend went !

• Like 8

Hmmmmm. Error......

The entire chute is body coloured, white or green.

In many photos they look black - probably shadow and muck.

I'll be respraying today.... Assuming the office hasn't been blown away....

Double post, squirrel database error (that's what I call these SQL database issues....highly technical)

So I'll alter this post.. To a cruel close up of the complete green chutes.

Edited by rs4

• RMweb Premium

Hmmmmm. Error......

The entire chute is body coloured, white or green.

In many photos they look black - probably shadow and muck.

I'll be respraying today.... Assuming the office hasn't been blown away....

Confirmation of chute and door colours from Martyn Read's excellent smugmug site.

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/H/HIA-Freightliner-bogie/i-hLLvhD5/A

and

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/H/HIA-Freightliner-bogie/i-tpHM562/A

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford

Having spent God knows how many hours now starting on page 1 and finally getting through to the last page here - now with sore glazey eyes, I must say you have a very impressive collection and one hell of a talent and an eye for detail Nick. Just a quick question which I'm sure has been asked and answered so apologies in advance but what brake discs do you use? Are they from PH Designs or Colin Craig?

Cheers,

Shoey.

Hi Shoey, sorry only just seen your reply.

Colin Craig (sorry Pete). Good choice and he does do big bags full and the killer...they are all pre shelled... No cutting out or filing required !

Brief pause in the HIAs as I've been tied up at the weekends. Have just ordered the Railtec HIA transfers (back in stock today) so I'll be applying some alternative numbers and need to remove some of the strengthening bits before going any further.

I wouldn't normally bother renumbering, so I'm pushing the boat out on these ones.

Cheers

Nick

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Looking good with the HIA's !

Saw a rake of them today, with very prominent Yellow axleboxes (& other less desirable colourings!!)

A couple have got the last 3 digits of the number repeated at the top left of the hopper too

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-51210600-1460401378_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-22512800-1460401384_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-06412300-1460401389_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-23253500-1460401394_thumb.jpg

• Like 3