Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Modelling Railways, Why Do We Do It

Have you ever thought why we do this hobby, so much time, effort, planning etc. goes into it, what drives you on........

Well for me, I do it for my two grandchildren  it drives me on to build something they will love, you know how much girls of he ages two & fourteen just love diesel & steam engines, learning about track construction and how the prototype would operate.

If they ever find out what I am doing down the shed they would be round to have a look some time maybe  :no:

For me it's just a low-key and relatively cheap pastime. I wasn't particularly interested in trains as a kid (certainly never did any train-spotting), and I don't have the patience to make something highly realistic, so I just do a bit here and there as the fancy takes me. I enjoy the construction side, and that leads on to finding out about the prototype, but I could never spend a lot of time or money on it, or use up a lot of space.

I  also like to unwind when ever I can down the shed, music on in the background. I have always loved trains, as young lad in the late 50's early 60's I was able to travel with my dad extensively with on the railways, he never did learn to drive and he worked on installing rail related engineering facilities such as wagon tipplers, conveyors etc. so I was able to get very close & saw various trades working on the infrastructure.

Although I never followed him into mechanical engineering (I went electrical) I now find Railway modelling is a way to relive those happy days.

Railway modelling also goes at a fairly gentle pace which suits me, I was previously into slot cars but to much speed, not enough detail and scales that just don't work

So, to the shed

I often ask the very same question, especially after a gruelling session fitting gussett plates to various 4mm mineral wagons! (uncrosses eyes)

I think for me it is a natural development from my interest in the real thing and it is about the only creative thing I can do with any reasonable degree of success.

What I create makes me happy, does not involve standing /  sitting around outside in all weathers and can be done with a reasonable outlay if you are careful with your purchases and keep an eye open for a recycling opportunity.

On the other hand I do sometimes feel the pressure to improve with ever more detail and past efforts do get looked at with a "what can I do with this now as it's not as good as I can do" eye.

This pressure I can do without, but is hard to resist

The joy of producing something that looks sort of like the real thing keeps me going.

Andy

I found building my layout was interesting in every way. the planning, the research, building baseboards, track laying, electrics, scenery, scratch-building bits and pieces, and then operating it (where I get the kids involved as much as I can.) :)

• RMweb Premium

I enjoy building layouts because I enjoy designing/visualising something and then solving all the problems needed to bring the idea to fruition. I enjoy designing and landscaping gardens for the same reason. It must be some form of innate escapism, as I'm a Nuclear Physicist by training and trade!

With railways in particular, there is that indefinable satisfaction of seeing a loco/train formation passing through a landscape that you've built, stopping at a station you've constructed from scratch. It's a great way to spend the day and, from the reactions of many people who see what I do, a very popular pastime to those who've never tried it - but might like to.

Billy's question is quite hard to answer at its most basic level. I like to model railways "cos I do!!".

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I do wonder why I'm interested in railways (and model railways) sometimes. I seem to get irritated by it and irritate others more than anything else, such that I sometimes wish it wasn't an interest of mine. Lately I'm stuck in limbo, half wanting to give it all up, but something stops me. I know that the aesthetic appearance of UK railway outline, particularly before privatisation and the influence of designs from overseas, flicks a switch in my head and heart. So maybe it's just hard-wired into me in some fashion. Certainly it isn't inherited (either by genes or experience) from my family, none of whom were ever interested in railways.

Edit: to remove ambiguity

I blame my Dad & Grandad for the hobby I have taken on

My Grandad was a signalman at Bolton West in LMS days and went onto become a signalling inspector, my Dad worked in parcels at Bolton Trinity Street before getting onto the BR board, via Crewe.

I got a Triang Jinty, Class 31, Blue Pullman and AL1

Through 18 years in the Army, I dabbled a little, but once in civvy street I started to take on a layout that was bigger than I could cope with, so stripped it down and started a 8' X 2' layout that I can manage and possibly finish!

But it settles me down after a hard day at the office!

• RMweb Premium

It's A winter hobby for when it's so ***************outside, it combines  interests in history, railways, military, and using my hands.

sorry  if this doesn't  come out right this is the first day on windows 8 and it's done strange things to my screen.

The Q

• RMweb Gold

It all started when I was eight and my brother was six, and we were both given train sets for Christmas. When I was working, I didn't have much time for modelling, but I kept abreast of developments by reading the magazines and buying the odd model. Now that I've retired, it gives me something to fill the time and to model the things that I always wanted to do..

Archived