Camel Quay - A North Cornwall inspired layout in 4mm

tender

BWT sound install - home straight.

The speaker wires were run around the cab under the roof and down the side behind the backhead and along the underside of the splashers to connect up with those from the decoder.

post-11105-0-16140800-1390856536_thumb.jpg

The other four wires being connected up to the motor and pick-ups.

post-11105-0-10048700-1390856613_thumb.jpg

All back together, and even with a fairly strong light the speaker doesn't stand out so I'm fairly pleased with that.

post-11105-0-08666100-1390856925_thumb.jpg

Next job is to put it on the rolling road and sync the chuffs to the wheel rotation and adjust a few CV's as well as add a crew. Will post a video once it's all setup.

Ray.

• Like 3

Very nice Ray, and as you say the speaker is invisible, I did a similar thing to a Hornby 08 before they introduced a sound one, I fitted the standard SWD speaker in the cab, painted it black, opened the doors, (as you can with the Hornby 08) and fitted crew hanging out.

Andy :sungum:

• RMweb Premium

BWT sound install - ......

...... sync the chuffs to the wheel rotation and adjust a few CV's as well as add a crew. Will post a video once it's all setup.

Ray.

Hi Ray, Very impressive. Does this mean you have used your own sound files and added them onto the decoder?

On the basis of the work you have done, it should be easy straight forward to add a speaker into a 57xx..... I can feel another project coming on for Wharncliffe!

Great work - thanks as ever for sharing.

Here's a quick video clip of the BWT. I'll try and do longer version when time permits.

Sound file by YouChoos as was the M7 (usual disclaimer, just a very satisfied customer).

The observant among you will have noticed a new LSWR station building taking shape to the replace the current resin cast version.

(No prizes for guessing what prototype that was based on)

Not sure if I will use this card kit as the final building but it will do as a template for a scratch build later.

Ray.

PS. The loud thump part way through the video was me dropping the controller on the floor while holding a light source in one hand and trying to pan the camera with the other.

Edited by tender
  • Like 9

Hi Ray

I will let you when I will be coming over with my Class 47 Zimo Sound loco, to see what you think mate....

I may not go at all to the Llanberis show as I doubt there will be anything new and exciting, and Jack from the MRL is not attending with his small modern image layout.

Let me know it when is best to pop over to play dcc sound trains lol

Hope you and Polly are both keeping well mate

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

Polly's been busy this evening weathering some of the clay wagons

post-11105-0-57864000-1391893026_thumb.jpg

On the left, out of the box with some rust painted on the under frame.

On the right, out of the clay dries with a liberal coating of clay dust and lump clay load.

Only another four more to do after she's made my supper. :mosking: :mosking:

Ray.

• Like 8

Going back a few pages, I made a start on a goods shed but never got much further than a card shell

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/67862-camel-quay-a-north-cornwall-inspired-layout-in-4mm/?p=1084075

It probably can be seen on the layout in part in a few photos.

I thought I would have a go at the Das clay and scribe method to finish this off.

Firstly I roll out a thin layer of Das between two pieces of Plastikard about 0.8mm thick.

post-11105-0-19502900-1391954148_thumb.jpg

The card is given a coat of neat PVA and the Das gently pressed on top and trimmed.

post-11105-0-80630600-1391954197_thumb.jpg

PVA is also coated on the inside of the card to help stop it warping. (A tip from David Wright, an expert at this method who is often seen doing demos at exhibitions)

Once I've completed the other sides it will be left overnight to dry out before scribing out the block work.

Ray.

Edited by tender
  • Like 7

That's nice Ray, Yes David does some good work and his demos at shows are excellent, I can also recommend his book, Making Urban Buildings for Model Railways, (I'm not on commission even though there are some of my photos in his book) and his other book and tutorial Videos.

Popped out this afternoon for an hour or so and when I came back Polly had done this to my Class 22 that hauls the clay wagons.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Don't know what you think, but for a first weathered Loco I recon she's done a pretty good job.

I'd put a 'like' on this myself if I could.

Ray.

I wish I could do a double like for you but I can't do that either, its really good, now I'm getting worried, she will be taking over my bits in Railway Modeller, hahha

Great job young Poll :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive:

Like Like Like :O

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Andy and all for the 'likes'.

I should give some credit to Barry0, though. I'm just doing what he taught me at two Warley Show demos - looking at pics of the prototype being one of them.

Polly

• Like 3

Thanks, Andy and all for the 'likes'.

I should give some credit to Barry0, though. I'm just doing what he taught me at two Warley Show demos - looking at pics of the prototype being one of them.

Polly

I've just done a post in Arberetum Valley as Jaz in there does all the scenics and has just started weathering, I suggested that I have you both down to do my next project then I can take the credit on here, hahha :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

All the best to you both.

Andy :O

Back to the Goods Shed tonight and all the shell has been covered with Das and allowed to dry out.

Next scratching out the corner quoins and around the windows with a scriber.

post-11105-0-52136100-1392076023_thumb.jpg

Tomorrow, scratching out the infill before giving it to Polly for painting.

Ray.

• Like 6

Not Polly the Painter? :O  Surly your giving it to Polly, :no:  Polly the Painter? :O :o

That will be good then, :locomotive: :locomotive:

Look forward to seeing Perky Polly pick the Bricks out in Polyurethane paint from the plastic paint pot :scared: :scared:

And :angel:

• Like 1

Hi Andy, scratching out the stone work is mind numbingly tedious. It's taken me all day to do this much, grabbing a few minutes here and there in between watching the hour glass and the 'not responding' messages on the PC at work.

post-11105-0-26898500-1392145076_thumb.jpg

Aren't computers wonderful, supposed to make us more efficient, but I sometimes wonder if we should have stuck with the abacus.

It's going to be a few days before Polly gets to paint it.

Ray.

Edited by tender
  • Like 4