Camel Quay - A North Cornwall inspired layout in 4mm

tender

Would not the rodding you have in the 6ft not have been run in the same set of stool foundations as the other line to the tandem and cross the track where the kink is for the tandem?? Would mean fewer foundations to put in.

I think your right, but I might have the signal box a bit too close to the track to get the six(or more) rods in. I'll have a look when I get home tonight. Moving the signal box back a bit could be tricky (but not impossible).

• RMweb Gold

All good advice, think I'll have a look bedding the stools down in the ballast and apply some paint/weathering before making any decision to look at alternatives.

So. this is where i think the runs should go:

attachicon.gifrods.jpg

But i have two questions for those of you in the know.

1. The rodding off to the right for the crossover would be controlled by a single lever, so does that mean one rod splitting at the turnouts or two individual rods?

2. The tandem has a FPL (5,6) -  again one (splitting) or two rods for the FPL's?

If the answer is 'two' for questions 1 and 2, i'm going to need some more rodding.

Ray.

The main rodding run should come out of the 'box and run along the line you have drawn nearest to the 'box, with rods as follows -

Rod A - drives point ends you have numbered 3 & 6 in the plan at Post No. 507

Rod B - drives point end you have numbered 4.

Rod C - drives point end numbered 5 and the trap in that siding

Rod E Drives the FPLs on point ends numbered 5 & 6

In the opposite direction Rod F drives the engine release crossover you numbered 1 & 2

If there is insufficient space for Rods A - E then simple take a single rod for E in that direction and bring the other 4 all the way across and then along the cess at the front of the trackwork.  That won't be absolutely correct but it would look more realistic than putting the rods in the 6ft where you have shown them.

Thanks Mike.

I'll have a play and see how much room I've got. It might be easier to move the signal box back a bit rather than dig out all the ballast to get the rods to the other side (front) but keep option open.

I need to see if I can find a picture of rodding where it splits to drive two points. 'Railwest' over on the infrastructure thread says it drops off the bottom of the rod but it would be good to see a picture of the real thing.

Ray.

Edited by tender

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mike.

I'll have a play and see how much room I've got. It might be easier to move the signal box back a bit rather than dig out all the ballast to get the rods to the other side (front) but keep option open.

I need to see if I can find a picture of rodding where it splits to drive two points. 'Railwest' over on the infrastructure thread says it drops off the bottom of the rod but it would be good to see a picture of the real thing.

Ray.

Ask and it's amazing what you might get in reply - this lot should help a bit I think although most of it it Western pattern rodding rollers, same basics though.

post-6859-0-17353400-1394575416_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-94768100-1394575444_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-95092300-1394575474_thumb.jpg

post-6859-0-52938500-1394575571_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

That's great Mike, many thanks, it's sort of what I imagined it might be. I did pop down to the local station this evening on the way home from work to see if I could get some pics, but what little rodding was left was too far away to be of any use.

In between painting up the next batch of ground signals I made a start on assembling the FPL from the Wills kit.

post-11105-0-03262500-1394576790_thumb.jpg

Once painted and weathered I don't think it will look too bad.

Ray.

• Like 10

That's great Mike, many thanks, it's sort of what I imagined it might be. I did pop down to the local station this evening on the way home from work to see if I could get some pics, but what little rodding was left was too far away to be of any use.

In between painting up the next batch of ground signals I made a start on assembling the FPL from the Wills kit.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Once painted and weathered I don't think it will look too bad.

Ray.

Another idea worth considering would be to run the rodding for the tandem points out of the back of the box, under the track that passes behind, then a lead off to the left straight to the points. As at Llandudno.

As you have put in the FPLs, it would be one lever/rod to work them and a track circuit would be needed .

Merf.

Looking good so far Ray.

Another idea worth considering would be to run the rodding for the tandem points out of the back of the box, under the track that passes behind, then a lead off to the left straight to the points. As at Llandudno.

As you have put in the FPLs, it would be one lever/rod to work them and a track circuit would be needed .

Merf.

Looking good so far Ray.

Thanks Merf, the bay platform runs up behind the signal box so I'm not sure that's an option but will bear it in mind.

Track circuit? The learning curve continues.

Ray.

• RMweb Gold

Merf.

Looking good so far Ray.

And we'd better not tell him he's used the wrong crank in the four foot (or is it the angle of the pic for the right hand one?).

Reason for track circuit is that you have the FPLs driven directly off the rodding run (I doubt you'd find one any different nowadays) instead of through a Facing Point Lock Bar - which serves to keep the FPL bolts engaged by pressure from a wheel/wheels.  So instead of a lock bar a track circuit has been used instead - probably because of a problem maintaing the lock bar into a tandem turnout (which sounds like a fair excuse.  

So don't worry Ray, it looks pretty good and you keep on the way you're heading and ignore us pedants ;)

• Like 1

Before I get too far with the rodding I suppose I'd better get around to fitting the trap (cosmetic) point in the siding. This will be a bit of rail suitably shaped and glued down to the existing sleepers with some C&L chairs. I'm thinking the obvious side to put the rail on is the far side of the track so a 'runaway' ends up in the cess and not heading for the platform mainline.

I've done a google search and found some pictures with the rodding for the trap down the same side so that should make life a little simpler.

Ray.

• Like 3

Hi Ray

At present no phones. I have a new book in the shop called Signalling in the Steam Age Ian Allen which shows the point rodding , ground signals ,catch points etc  Ideal for information on what you want. Should be £6.99 selling at £3.50. Let me know if you want it.

Peter

PS also plenty of stock of the Wills point rodding and extension kits.

SWMBO has gone off to London for the day so muggin's has to cook his own dinner. So while I'm waiting for me steak and ale pie to come out of the oven I thought I'd get on and make the cosmetic trap point.

post-11105-0-40401700-1394741087_thumb.jpg

Once It's been weathered down a bit work can start on the rodding, but I'll put up a sketch first to make sure I'm not making any blunders.

Ray.

post-11105-0-40401700-1394741087_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

SWMBO has gone off to London for the day so muggin's has to cook his own dinner. So while I'm waiting for me steak and ale pie to come out of the oven I thought I'd get on and make the cosmetic trap point.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Once It's been weathered down a bit work can start on the rodding, but I'll put up a sketch first to make sure I'm not making any blunders.

Ray.

Looks the business Ray although it might possibly have been a single tongue trap - anyway you've done two so no worries.  I do think it might look even better with a dummy stretcher bar especially as you're going to have a crank appearing to drive it.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Ray.

So.......what gave more satisfaction? The track or steak n ale pie! Never seems to taste the same when ya gotta do it yourself.

Could have been worse.......sandwiches with curled up corners never seem to fill me up !

Looking good.

Looks the business Ray although it might possibly have been a single tongue trap - anyway you've done two so no worries.  I do think it might look even better with a dummy stretcher bar especially as you're going to have a crank appearing to drive it.

Hi Mike, I originally was only going to use single tongue (cosmetic)  trap but it didn't  look right with the stock rail running straight through. The second rail hopefully takes the eye away from that to complete the illusion. The stretcher bar will be added with the rodding with bits left over from the Wills pack.

So.......what gave more satisfaction? The track or steak n ale pie! Never seems to taste the same when ya gotta do it yourself.

Could have been worse.......sandwiches with curled up corners never seem to fill me up !

Looking good.

The pie I think, the trap in the picture seems to stand out a bit, but the paint was still wet when I took it. Now its dried off the colour has toned down so looks a lot better, a bit more weathering and it should look fine.

The curly sandwiches came earlier in the day with a working lunch. Actually they weren't too bad and I didn't have to pay for them. The chocolate fudge cake was a bonus.

Ray.

• Like 3

Great thread! How did you go about the station building?

The Station building is going to be the subject of the next series of posts after the point rodding (early next week hopefully)  so bear with me on that, suffice to say there's another one in progress.  :O

Watch this space.   :no:  :no:

Thanks for that George, I'm the novice on here, but hopefully learning fast. I take a lot of inspiration and advice from reading through other threads and try to apply them to CQ.

So before i make a start on the rodding, here's a sketch of how i think it will pan out for the Tandem and Trap points.

post-11105-0-01330000-1394825558.jpg

The colours have no meaning, just to make things a bit clearer.

Red - the two FPL's

Yellow - point 6

Blue - point 5 and associated trap.

As space is a bit tight the rods for the double slip will go on the other side (front) of the layout crossing the 3 tracks in front of the signalbox.

Not exactly prototypical but as Mike suggested earlier, an acceptable alternative.

Ray

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that George, I'm the novice on here, but hopefully learning fast. I take a lot of inspiration and advice from reading through other threads and try to apply them to CQ.

So before i make a start on the rodding, here's a sketch of how i think it will pan out for the Tandem and Trap points.

attachicon.gifrodding.JPG

The colours have no meaning, just to make things a bit clearer.

Red - the two FPL's

Yellow - point 6

Blue - point 5 and associated trap.

As space is a bit tight the rods for the double slip will go on the other side (front) of the layout crossing the 3 tracks in front of the signalbox.

Not exactly prototypical but as Mike suggested earlier, an acceptable alternative.

Ray

One minor point Ray - the 'yellow' rod also drives one end of the double slip ;)

Hi Ray

nice to show the work before you start, You guess have plenty of point rodding to complete the job in hand.

Have a good one tomorrow mate, and get plenty of hints n tips from other layouts as you say, sad I cant be there tomorrow mate with you.

Jamie

One minor point Ray - the 'yellow' rod also drives one end of the double slip ;)

Ah, thanks for that Mike, I forgotten about that. Would it be acceptable to split rod where it exits the signal box as I can't see another way of doing it that won't look untidy.

Ray.

Hi Ray

Nice Trap Point that you have fitted, after all.... you wouldn't like to pull this YouTube stunt...!

I wonder how much this mistake cost...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSxqnaTd-uk

A very BIG 'Oops a daisy'....!?!

Jamie

Yes I missed that MISTAKE, I was on the bridge filming from the same spot the day before. Bu* I could have made a fortune.

Andy :sungum:

post-13209-0-28223200-1394832485_thumb.jpg

Exactly the same thing happened at St.Agnes back in 1959. Which I recreated.

Featured in the Middleton press book, Branchlines of Newquay.

But that YouTube clip sounded rather expensive indeed.

Cheers

Jack

• Like 4