Camel Quay - A North Cornwall inspired layout in 4mm

tender

Hi Ray

Forgot to mention the LMS ground signals shown in your photos on Settle & Carlisle, I have the top half of one in the Study Centre Museum collection, unfortunately the bottom part got destroyed in the move from Manchester.

Peter

Hi Ray

Have been checking stock levels at Home. It shows that I have a S/h copy of OPC Southern signals down at the shop. Cant go today to check car in for service but Paul is down tonight for a few days to work on GTD so will check tomorrow. If you still want a copy give me a ring.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I've sent you a PM. 

We bumped into Paul and Vicky briefly last weekend at Midland Railex.

Good book, well recommended.

I now have a second hand copy of OPC Southern Signals, picked up from Corris MRE this weekend.

Regarding the lack of trap point to the bay.  A solution is a scotch blocked worked from the box (and locked into the signalling). 

Ernie Puddick

And I now know what a Scotch block is courtesy of above book.

Ray.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

Not much done to the layout recently but now have track and double slip to finish off the fiddle yard across the back of the layout. Will post pictures when finished.

Still need to make a start on the signals but they look so fiddly that I keep putting it off.

Been putting sound in the N class loco. I already had the decoder (loksound from Digitains) when I saw the article in July's Hornby Magazine by Mike Wild fitting sound in his N class. I used a similar approach running wires from the loco to the tender as there's no room in the loco sufficiently big enough for either the sound decoder or speaker.

However I did differ in routing the wires under the footplate as opposed to over the top through the firebox door.

post-11105-0-76096300-1378510657_thumb.jpg

I also removed the base of the moulded coal load making a false floor higher up in the tender allowing more of the metal weight to be retained.

post-11105-0-46001700-1378511546_thumb.jpg

The weight was also cut out from around the rear wheel slots in the base of the tender to allow the sound out.

Finally some real coal was glued into the coal bunker with PVA

post-11105-0-99011500-1378510994_thumb.jpg

A few CV's needed adjusting to get the 'chuffs' synchronised to the wheel rotation.

Just needs weathering now, will try and do a short video when I can get to the front of the layout.

Ray

Edited by tender
  • Like 5

Hi Ray, Good conversion mate, have you used the wires to attach the tender as I cant see room for the draw bar?

I use very thin wire, normally strait from the Chip so they would not be strong enough to act as a draw bar. see pics of my 8F and the two wires from the chip are plenty long enough, and are super glued to the loco chassis and the factory draw bar is retained, will still take any curve, we have 2nd radius at the club in one part of the fiddle yard.

post-9335-0-33867300-1378540096_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-57200000-1378540444_thumb.jpg

Bodged it again :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 5

Hi Ray, Good conversion mate, have you used the wires to attach the tender as I cant see room for the draw bar?

Bodged it again :sungum:

Don't panic Mr Bodgit, the draw bar is still there.

Difficult to get good close up photos with the iPhone but I think you can make out the draw bar and wires in these photos. I still need to put a spot of black paint on the wire between the loco and tender.

post-11105-0-64732600-1378542633_thumb.jpg

post-11105-0-13483900-1378542667_thumb.jpg

I would have normally used a slightly thinner wire but I'd run out, but these don't seem to inhibit movement around the curves on Camel Quay.

I was going to re number the loco from 31406 before weathering as most of the pictures of N class locos on the NCR in BR era are 318xx. However their is a picture of 31406 at Egloskerry in 'Branchlines to Padstow' so I might just leave it.

Ray.

Edited by tender
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I was going to re number the loco from 31406 before weathering as most of the pictures of N class locos on the NCR in BR era are 318xx. However their is a picture of 31406 at Egloskerry in 'Branchlines to Padstow' so I might just leave it.

In Irwell's North Cornwall Railway book, Chapter 7, with additional info from 2manyspams of this parish, quotes 31407/8/9 as also having spells attached to Exmouth Junction shed in the post-war period.

• RMweb Gold

Ray,  I see from Ian's bit above that you are just one number out.

Its a bit like the Lottery really, :O Close, :no:  but not close enough, :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: hahhahaaa

Andy - I said "also"! Ray's number is just fine, too, as his photo evidence confirmed.

Ray,  I see from Ian's bit above that you are just one number out.

Its a bit like the Lottery really, :O Close, :no:  but not close enough, :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: hahhahaaa

Budgit :sungum:

Hi Andy.

31406 at Egloskerry and Ian's list of 314xx's is close enough for me.

I'll be revisiting your weathering pages to find out how it's done. This again will be something new for me so will have a practice on some surplus wagons (Polly's GWR stuff, only joking).

I was going to do a video to show off the sound this afternoon but with all the rain the modelling room is a bit dark for the iPhone even with the room lights on. Will have to rig up a temporary lighting rig.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy.

31406 at Egloskerry and Ian's list of 314xx's is close enough for me.

I'll be revisiting your weathering pages to find out how it's done. This again will be something new for me so will have a practice on some surplus wagons (Polly's GWR stuff, only joking).

I was going to do a video to show off the sound this afternoon but with all the rain the modelling room is a bit dark for the iPhone even with the room lights on. Will have to rig up a temporary lighting rig.

What modelling room?  :jester:

Ray my Steam Weathering article should be in RM in the next Month or so.

Bodgit :sungum:

I'll get the steam mop ready :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Pollypowder

• 1 month later...

Not posted here for a bit, been too busy doing other things (mostly going to exhibitions, why do they all come at once?)

I was going to have a go at the MSE ground signals but they look much too fiddly to contemplate when times short so I've made a start on the signal post for the Starter signal.

post-11105-0-75786900-1382015409.jpg

This went together fairly easily, just hope the rest goes as well.

Ray.

Edited by tender
  • Like 4

Managed to sneak another half hour today, so made up the signal arm and pivot.

post-11105-0-34518100-1382114619_thumb.jpg

Looking at the instructions the balance weight is fitted under the platform

post-11105-0-73602200-1382114730_thumb.jpg

However on all the photos I have of the signal at Padstow there's no sign of a balance weight, so if anyone has any suggestions.........

Ray.

Edited by tender
  • Like 1

"I've made a start on the signal post for the Home Starter signal..."

Err....sorry, but there is no such thing as a Home Starter :-). It is either a Home or a Starter, both being 'stop' signals.

On the assumption that you are talking about the Up Starting signal at the end of the platform near to the signal-box, then - having looked at quite a good variety of close-up pix of that signal in the Irwell Press book on the NCR (enlarged 2nd edition) - I think that the simple answer is that in fact there was not one fitted to that signal at all.

Do not forget that, unlike a LQ arm, the weight lever played no part in operating the arm, its purpose being to pull in the slack of the signal wire when the lever in the SB was restored to normal. Given the very short wire run from that signal to the SB lever (and apparently with a weight-assisted detector on the facing point immediately in advance of it), then perhaps a weight-lever was considered unnecessary?

Edited by RailWest

"I've made a start on the signal post for the Home Starter signal..."

Err....sorry, but there is no such thing as a Home Starter :-). It is either a Home or a Starter, both being 'stop' signals.

?

Oops, sorry about that, duly edited.

Thanks Chris.

I was hoping that was the explanation. Certainly makes construction a bit easier.

Ray.

Edited by tender

Hi Jamie, any time, just give us a ring to let us know your coming.

In the meantime a bit more of the signal.

post-11105-0-96022500-1382389895_thumb.jpg

Needs some cleaning up still and the arm bearing cutting off to length but getting there slowly.

Need to think about servo operation before going too far with the base mount.

Ray.

Edited by tender
  • Like 2