Camel Quay - A North Cornwall inspired layout in 4mm

tender

Hi Ray

I've just noticed the couplings have changed on the YouTube Clip (which is Excellent to see and hear) and in the Photos of the Couplings, how are you finding the use of those.... Recommended or still in the playing and see...

Jamie

• Like 1

I have the Kernow sound BWT.

The speaker attached to the back wall of the cab is not too obvious. Unfortunately Kernow cannot support the sound install and the whistle is almost inaudible. They referred me to Olivia's Trains who did the sound for them. They were less than helpful. 

The decoder is a Loksound v4 sound decoder that would require a Loksound programming device to modify. Unfortunately the required CV settings for the BWT sound project are not in anything provided by Olivia.

The last 6 months it has also developed a nasty track connection issue and the sound is on and off. There is no known keep-alive capacitor to compensate for this that will fit.

Another decoupling magnet now allows 'hands free' dropping off of a rake of carriages or wagons in the platform siding.

post-11105-0-50751600-1389824054_thumb.jpg

A 2P set from the 'Atlantic Coast Express' would usually reside here overnight while the engine returns 'on shed' at Launceston ready for the return journey the following morning. (All hypothetical of course)

• Like 7

Ray

I like the uncoupling magnets. They blend into the layout really well. :sungum:

This is something that I haven't even considered for OP Mk2 yet, but a lot is going to be dictated by the type of layout it turns into.

Duncan

Excellent Ray, will you have a 700 as well soon?

I wont use Olivias because of a bad experience I had, I now just use SWD, Locolines of Essex and Legomanbiffo.

More video would be good too.

Andy :sungum:

Hi Andy, I have a 700 on pre order but I think it will be some time before it appears. Not even sure they ever made it to the NCR, I've not seen any evidence so far.

I'm steerng clear of Olivia's sound as well as I've heard others have not been impressed. I will get a Zimo sound decoder for the BWT and 'fudge' a sound for it until someone comes up with something more prototypical. I really like the Zimo chips , sound and non sound.

More videos soon.

Ray

Another decoupling magnet now allows 'hands free' dropping off of a rake of carriages or wagons in the platform siding.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

A 2P set from the 'Atlantic Coast Express' would usually reside here overnight while the engine returns 'on shed' at Launceston ready for the return journey the following morning. (All hypothetical of course)

Hi Ray

Do you only put a magnet on one side of the track? I thought you used one on either side!

Peter

• RMweb Gold

I say! Launceston is a jolly long way - nearly back in Devon! Perhaps Wadebridge, where there was a decent little shed with capable fitters? 

Hi Ray

Do you only put a magnet on one side of the track? I thought you used one on either side!

Peter

Hi Peter.

All is explained in this post. It's a bit more critical of the kadee set up but works well for me. To work from either direction you need two magnets, one each side.

Ray.

I say! Launceston is a jolly long way - nearly back in Devon! Perhaps Wadebridge, where there was a decent little shed with capable fitters? 

Quite right Ian, what was I thinking. Anyway its all pretty academic as wherever its goes it's well of stage.

For the 'ACE' train I have two Loco's on the layout, one facing in each direction. This saves 'manhandling' in the fiddle yard trying turn the Loco (with tender) around.

All this talk of 'ACE' trains has reminded me that I have a set of transfers ready for the Loco and coach set.

post-11105-0-83727100-1389868187.jpg

Another job for the 'to do' list.

Ray.

Edited by tender
  • Like 6

More video would be good too.

Andy :sungum:

Will this do?

This M7 pull/push service runs on Camel Quay automatically with just a push of a button on a purpose built controller giving the operator a break for a few minutes. Still tweaking the program that controls this but it's coming along nicely.

Ray.

Oops, sorry about the video quality, forgot to push the hi res button before publishing.

Edited by tender
  • Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy, I have a 700 on pre order but I think it will be some time before it appears. Not even sure they ever made it to the NCR, I've not seen any evidence so far.

Ray

Ray, 700s did venture on to the NCR... but with big snow ploughs fitted for winter line clearance duties. They were shedded at Exmouth Junction. On one occasion they did get stuck in a massive drift and froze solid. I think that event may have killed the locos. (all from memory, will have a look at my references)

In my book that's enough justification to apply 'Rule 1' with no guilt :locomotive:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Just a quickie.

I've never liked the way the wall in front of the station turned out so I've started repainting it.  I've also googled stone walls/hedges in Cornwall, so hopefully, in a little while the whole thing will look well and truly...er...Cornish. 

Polly

• Like 2

Ray, 700s did venture on to the NCR... but with big snow ploughs fitted for winter line clearance duties. They were shedded at Exmouth Junction. On one occasion they did get stuck in a massive drift and froze solid. I think that event may have killed the locos. (all from memory, will have a look at my references)

In my book that's enough justification to apply 'Rule 1' with no guilt :locomotive:

Well, Polly's given the bank between the station and the quayside a good head of heather in full bloom so I don't think I'd get away with a snow plough in the height of summer. But as you say 'Rule 1' applies and with evidence of the 700 at Exmouth shed I think well be seeing one making an appearance.

Ray

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Well, Polly's given the bank between the station and the quayside a good head of heather in full bloom so I don't think I'd get away with a snow plough in the height of summer. But as you say 'Rule 1' applies and with evidence of the 700 at Exmouth shed I think well be seeing one making an appearance.

Ray

Exmouth Junction Drummond 700 (Black Motors)

30315 11/54 - 3/58

30317 3/58 - 8/61

30327 2/59 - 5/61

30689 9/61 - 11/62

30691 11/54 - 8/61 (allegedly hauled the 3.13 Perishables from Padstow in October 1960) 

30697 9/61 - 11/62

30700 9/61 - 11/62

• RMweb Premium

PHOTOS. You want PHOTOS?  :swoon:

The front edge wall showing the join between sections.

post-14049-0-56610200-1390309688.jpg

Close up although the picture has come out a bit on the bright side.

post-14049-0-81379100-1390309721.jpg

New rendition.

post-14049-0-93667900-1390309760.jpg

Edit: See a good view of the wall in  the video in #388 above.

The Bodgit's Apprentice (but he doesn't know it, yet.  HAHA)

Edited by southern42
  • Like 6

Oh Yoddha, (or however you spell it) you are the true Master and I just love your Purply bits too, as for Duncan, well he hasn't PAID HIS MEMBERSHIP FEES to me yet :nono: so he will not be a TRUE Junior Bodgit just yet :no: .

The Old Bodgit. :sungum: