Camel Quay - A North Cornwall inspired layout in 4mm

tender

• RMweb Gold

Nothing much on tele this evening so I settled down on the sofa to a repeat of 'Midsomer Murders', scriber in hand and scratched away at the goods shed.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Two hours later this is the result.

Ray.

Ray,

How many people died while you were doing that.  I have not watch Midsomer for years but if I was the Inspectors boss I would have sacked him years ago!

The goods shed is looking good.  Did you go layer by layer from the bottom or the side?

Ray,

The goods shed is looking good.  Did you go layer by layer from the bottom or the side?

Hi Chris, I did the corners and windows first, then worked up from the bottom or down from the top depending on which way was easiest to hold it. I scribed a block at a time rather than scribing lines to keep it looking random, throwing in the odd large or thin block here and there.

Looks good.

Must be time to turn it over to Polly.

Duncan

Hi Duncan, yes next step is to give it a quick spray with Plasicote Suede which will form the base colour for the grout and then Polly will dry brush the colour onto the stone blocks. Similar to the retaining wall behind the quay. The Plasticote Suede has a very fine texture when dry and acts a a good key for the paint. Andy York put us on to this with his 'improving Peco track' thread. We tend to use it as a primer for almost all the building/scenics.

Ray.

Nothing much on tele this evening so I settled down on the sofa to a repeat of 'Midsomer Murders', scriber in hand and scratched away at the goods shed.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Two hours later this is the result.

Ray.

Looks excellent Ray. Who are the windows by, they look good.

Jamie

I'm starting to worry. 3 days and Polly hasn't shown any progress on the goods shed.

It's surprising that the Baron hasn't complained about a lack of photos yet :jester:  :jester: :jester:  

Duncan

Don't worry Duncan, it's on its way. Partly my fault as I haven't sprayed it with Plasticote yet, (mainly due to the 15hr power cut we had Wednesday evening into Thursday morning), but Polly also likes daylight when she's painting to get the colour right so it won't happen until the weekend.

Ray.

• Like 1

I can understand why Polly would want to paint in real light. Having not been really affected by the weather, I sometimes forget that others are having problems with things like power.

Hopefully there are no more problems for you and Polly.

Duncan

Here's a few photos of Polly's progress on the painting of the goods shed.

First a priming spray with Plasticote suede

post-11105-0-04847000-1392557286_thumb.jpg

Then a coat of base colour is dry brushed on

post-11105-0-54022100-1392557299_thumb.jpg

Followed by further dry brushing.

post-11105-0-52329800-1392557311_thumb.jpg

The colours don't look the same in the pictures due to artificial lighting and a little on the dark side.

I'll try and get a daylight shot when it's finished.

Ray.

• Like 13

Hi Ray, please pass on my congratulations to Polly, that looks excellent mate. On Trebudoc Station and road bridge I just washed over with Dirty Enamel Thinners for a lighter but similar effect.

That will look really good once set into the scenery and Polly has once again added her magic around the base.

All the best to you both,

Andy :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P

Looking good.  What colours did Polly use?

Hi Chris,

Polly will be along later to answer your question, she cooking my dinner  :sungum:

While she was painting the goods shed I was busy adding chimneys, gutters and down-pipes to the terrace houses. Still need a bit of touching up on the gable ends where the plasikad is showing and the flashing and ridge tiles adding.

post-11105-0-95613300-1392580291.png

Ray.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Looking good.  What colours did Polly use?

Thanks, Chris.  I've used white and black artist's acrylic paint but added a touch of purple and sienna.  [Edit: The photo is a bit bluish and the suede roof and pointing is washed out so not a brilliant representation of the actual colour - is it ever?.]  The brass windows had a first treatment of dry brushed diluted white ink which was then dirtied with a diluted light grey paint mix and dilute black ink - thin coats to protect the fine detail.

Ray wants to build an LSWR station building in the same way.  That will be a while away, yet, so I'm leaving any adjustments to tone and colour until this is done.  I can, then, give both buildings the same final treatment and also do the signal box unless this is replaced by a scratch-built one with the steps coming down on the other side - under consideration.

Polly

Edited by southern42

The goods shed has now gained its roofing slates and chimney.

post-11105-0-93104700-1392759319_thumb.jpg

The slating used the same method as the terrace houses and quayside building but the spacing has been increased a bit to add a bit of variety.

Polly is not happy with the way the ridge runs into the backscene and will be playing around with bits of painted paper on the backscene to see if she can create the illusion of a full depth building.

The ridge tiles are still to come as is a canopy over the to be attached doors.

The original drawings have a full canopy straddling the track with supporting legs on the other side, but as this would mean them sitting on the bay platform I will probably opt for a half canopy instead.

When finished it will be bedded into the ground.

Ray.

Edited by tender
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

The mortar is very clean, especially near the base, for stonework that has been exposed to countless steam locos over many years, all passing very close.

Also, the stones themselves are very dark for what I presume would be a granite building ?

Stu  (trying to be helpful)

Edited by Stubby47

• RMweb Premium

The mortar is very clean, especially near the base, for stonework that has been exposed to countless steam locos over many years, all passing very close.

Also, the stones themselves are very dark for what I presume would be a granite building ?

Stu  (trying to be helpful)

Hi Stu,

The stonework (darker on the photos) is on hold now until the station building has got to the same stage. Then I'll be looking to give both a suitable wash of colour and dose of weathering powders. 

How about a tree next to the good shed to hide the meeting of the building and the backscene?

There will be a tree, if only to hide the continuation of the roof on the backscene at the gable end - I doubt I'll be able to make the perspective work from both ends - but I'm sure going to try.

Polly

• Like 4

Whilst pondering about which canopy to put on the goods sheds, Polly as usual finds a photo of Padstow goods shed from 1963 with no canopy on it at all although earlier photos show it clearly with a full depth canopy. So, question is does anybody know when it lost its canopy, and was it still in use as a goods shed without.

Another thing to add to the shopping list is the loading gauge which can be seen in photos both with and without the canopy.

Ray.

No updates on the state of play with the canopy for the goods shed so until further information comes to light attention has switched to the Quay.

The trawler was going to be converted into a small coaster but we've decided against this and will keep a look out for a suitable alternative.

The Trawler superstructure has all been attached and given light spray of Plasticote primer.

post-11105-0-37170300-1393007206.jpg

The hull and superstructure will now be painted before all the etched brass detail, masts etc are attached.

Ray.

Edited by tender
  • Like 9

Hi Ray, as much as I like boats like that I would like to see a long shot, I don't know if its the primer paint but it seems to be taking up all the Quay.

I often think a collection of small fishing / pleasure boats will give the feel but without blocking out the Quay.

I may be totally wrong so as I say a distant overall shot will show it off better, or maybe once the boat is painted it will shrink it to the eye.

Andy :sungum:

Edited by Andrew P