Camel Quay - A North Cornwall inspired layout in 4mm

tender

Here's the mockup building on the quayside, it should look a bit better once i've finished the infill which will go almost upto the wall, however I think the steps are a little close to the track.

post-11105-0-03993600-1361917875_thumb.jpg

I did come across this building on a US (HO) layout which looks remarkably similar.. Putting the steps down the side of the building will give a bit more space in front.

post-11105-0-11630200-1361918097_thumb.jpg

You may have noticed that I've started scribing the quay wall, concrete blocks capped with granite as described previously.

Any comments welcome.

Ray.

Edited by tender
  • Like 9

Have cut the steps off and reattached down the side of the building.

post-11105-0-68717900-1361924881_thumb.jpg

This gives more room at the front and will allow the building to be pulled forward a bit.

I don't think it's lost too much of its character by doing this.

Ray.

• Like 6

Hi Ray

I think that the only problem that I can see is that on the quay wall is that the wooden piles are now set into the wall. Usually the piles are bolted onto the front of the wall. What I have also done is drill a small whole in the piles and then glued in a 14/12 BA bolt head or a nut and thread to represent the bolts used to hold the plies onto the wall.

Also have you seen the comments on Andy P's about the walling have not heard anything from you.

Cheers

Peter

Hi Ray

I think that the only problem that I can see is that on the quay wall is that the wooden piles are now set into the wall. Usually the piles are bolted onto the front of the wall. What I have also done is drill a small whole in the piles and then glued in a 14/12 BA bolt head or a nut and thread to represent the bolts used to hold the plies onto the wall.

Thanks for the comments Peter.

I was going to use embossed card for the wall but couldn't find anything suitable so ended up using Das and scribing the blockwork. I'll add the finer detailing once all the major construction is complete.

Also have you seen the comments on Andy P's about the walling have not heard anything from you.

Cheers

Peter

I'd forgot about my post on Andy P's layout, i'll have to go back and have a look.
  • Like 1

Thanks for the comments regarding the 7mm embossed card. I'll remember that for next time. As the majority of the Das is now on and scribed ill leave it. I think it will look ok once painted and weathered.

At one point I was having second thoughts about the line running along the quay wall and the infill. But today I was doing a google search for unloading clay wagons. There's quite a bit of stuff documented on here regarding the loading of clay wagon at the clay dries etc. but not anything I could find about unloading them at the dockside except for the slurry type wagons.

This is what my google search came up with.

post-11105-0-29430800-1361981201.jpg

I'm glad I don't have to do a job like that.

Anyway, the up shot is that the quayside track and infill stays.

Ray

Edited by tender
  • Like 8

Hi Ray, just popped in for a catch up, still going well I see, I see Peter has let you know about the post he put on Glen Roy for you.

All the best and regards to Thingy :O :no: :no: :no: :no: SORRY Polly :declare: :declare:

Bodgit :sungum:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the mockup building on the quayside, it should look a bit better once i've finished the infill which will go almost upto the wall, however I think the steps are a little close to the track.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

I did come across this building on a US (HO) layout which looks remarkably similar.. Putting the steps down the side of the building will give a bit more space in front.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

You may have noticed that I've started scribing the quay wall, concrete blocks capped with granite as described previously.

Any comments welcome.

Ray.

Was the US building a kit by any chance or scratchbuilt? If a kit, any possibility of a reference. It would go nice as a temporary version of a structure that I had not planned to build. (Padstow - End of the Line topic in Layouts) Edited by autocoach

Was the US building a kit by any chance or scratchbuilt? If a kit, any possibility of a reference. It would go nice as a temporary version of a structure that I had not planned to build. (Padstow - End of the Line topic in Layouts)

Hi Ken

It's a Lineside Structures Kit (kit no. 713)

Available from here http://www.laserkit.com/bldgho2.htm#Lineside $59.95

I did enquire about postage to the UK but that almost doubled the price so it's a sctatchbuild plasticard version of the prototype for me.

Things on the layout have been moving on a bit slow for the last week or so, but been busy today so will update with some more pictures later this weekend.

Ray.

• Like 1

I've been trying to source a model of something similar to the ship depicted in this picture.

post-11105-0-84736900-1362856973.jpg

The nearest thing I've come up with is a Clyde Puffer from Langley Models but the lifting Derrick is at the bow instead of in front of the bridge. Iguess it could be modified but even then it's too big to fit on the quay so something slightly smaller is required. (Max width 60mm)

If anyone knows of a source of model ships (kits) to 1/76 scale I'd be grateful.

• Like 1

tender, on 09 Mar 2013 - 11:22, said:

Hi Ken

It's a Lineside Structures Kit (kit no. 713)

Available from here http://www.laserkit.com/bldgho2.htm#Lineside $59.95

I did enquire about postage to the UK but that almost doubled the price so it's a sctatchbuild plasticard version of the prototype for me.

Things on the layout have been moving on a bit slow for the last week or so, but been busy today so will update with some more pictures later this weekend.

Ray.

Thanks Ray

A bit pricey for what would have to be modified extensively. Like you I will probably build a mock up for now.

• Like 1

Here's a bit of an update on Camel Quay.

The road on top of the quay will be lined with a row of buildings, here I've borrowed a few Bachmann low relief, and made a mock up of full depth buildings where the road comes forward to give the impression of a cutting behind where the track exits the bridge (before entering the fiddle yard under the buildings. These will all eventually be scratch built in card/plasticard.

post-11105-0-39075300-1363027402_thumb.jpg

post-11105-0-16964200-1363027448_thumb.jpg

The full depth buildings will be stepped down the hill before the road crosses the bridge.

I've also remodelled the bridge itself, it's now less oblique and has a narrower mouth and forms a very short tunnel with the road running slightly diagonally across it.

post-11105-0-96674500-1363027478_thumb.jpg

The pink foam will form a hill to give a scenic break between the station and the quay. I'm not 100% convinced about this yet so it's only resting in place. If it stays it will get covered with Sculptamold.

post-11105-0-16386200-1363027506_thumb.jpg

Pill boxes were common place around the cornish coast the pillbox at Padstow being located at the end of the habour breakwater. As I don't have a breakwater the location on the hill makes a good alternative.

Any comments welcome.

(As is any recommendation for a model boat kit, see post #87)

Edited by tender
  • Like 13

Hi Ray

Great update and photos... haha I see hills taking place...

Are theline ofnew row of houses based on anywhere you have been or seen in the past...?

What is that Pink stuff called and best place to get it... its looking very good...!

Jamie

What is that Pink stuff called and best place to get it... its looking very good...!

I found some very similar looking green foam dumped in a lay-by on top of the Pennines, that I rescued to use for scenery! Unfortunately I found another use for most of it before I got that far with the layout!

• Like 2

I found some very similar looking green foam dumped in a lay-by on top of the Pennines, that I rescued to use for scenery! Unfortunately I found another use for most of it before I got that far with the layout!

Hi Jon

It's not green and glowing... is it...?

Jamie

• Like 1

Hi Ray

Jamie

It's Knauf poly foam insulation board (1200x500x60mm). You can get it from B&Q but they don't always have it in stock.

Much easier to work with than polystyrene which goes everywhere when you cut it and stiffer too.

There's a thread on here somewhere where it's use as a baseboard with just a ply edging is discussed.

• Like 1

Cheers for that Ray...

It appear to cut cleaner than the polystyrene does and like you say with no so much mess...

I will have to have a look for it next time I visit B&Q... Knauf poly foam insulation board (1200x500x60mm).

Jamie

Hi Ra it has been a while since I last had a proper look on here and looked at the new pics, it is coming on really well.

Regards to you and Polly,

Bodgit :sungum: I will save the SMILEYS for Polly :stinker:

• Like 3

Knauf poly foam insulation board (1200x500x60mm).

Jamie

Popped into B&Q this morning on the way to work and it's all gone. With summer coming I don't think they will be getting any more soon. I think Wickes stock it as well. Just as well I bought enough for Camel Quay when they had it. Edited by tender

• 2 weeks later...

Not done much to the layout recently, but did manage to pick up this nice little trawler kit.

post-11105-0-49688100-1364337635_thumb.jpg

With a bit of work I'm hoping to convert it to a small coaster (as pictured in an earlier post #87) for the transportation of China Clay from the quarries that will arrive at the quay in covered wagons behind a Beattie Well Tank.

Edited by tender
  • Like 9

Hi Ray (I remembered the Y this time, hhahhehe) I do like the idea of that little trawler, Do you know who makes it as I am thinking about a replacement Layout for Glen Roy at some time, a Scottish Layout with a Quayside as per Glenuig and Loch Locty may be a new challenge for me as I have never tried that before.

Bodgit. :sungum:

That trawler really make's the scene Ray, coming along nicely

georgeT

Hi Ray (I remembered the Y this time, hhahhehe) I do like the idea of that little trawler, Do you know who makes it as I am thinking about a replacement Layout for Glen Roy at some time, a Scottish Layout with a Quayside as per Glenuig and Loch Locty may be a new challenge for me as I have never tried that before.

Bodgit. :sungum:

Hi George, Andy,

Must admit, not much happened to the layout over Easter. Been side tracked into building a Chassis for Polly's 43xx. It's had the old Bachmann split chassis so not a easy DCC conversion. I've had the Comet chassis bits lying around for a few months so thought I'd better get on with it.

Anyway, back to the Trawler, it's an Artitec kit (Dutch I think),

post-11105-0-35838800-1365091696_thumb.jpg

It wasn't cheap, but is a very well moulded resin kit with a lot of detailed brass etch parts.

I think we picked it up from Langley Models. No doubt by the time I finish it you will have built one together with a layout to put it on.

Ray.

• Like 2