Lunester Lounge: CLOSED

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

It is everywhere John . We  saw a smartly dressed young lady fling an empty bag over the fence into the park without any care who saw her. Probably grew up  with her parents always cleaning up after her. They just expect someone else to clean up.

Don

• RMweb Gold

Well done Peter, I thought Mike was going to be there last night.

It;l be all right on the night, well Sunday / Monday.

Hi Guys,

Hope this will be taken TIC (tongue-in-cheek) but our club members get at least one years notice of our main annual Easter Open Event so why is it that so many decide to book holidays at this time?  Seriously though day 1 was pleasant to the extent that at 1615 hours it seemed like 1430 hours - unusual and I hope that day 2 is the same.  Having said that on the realisation that it was 1630 hours it was surprising how few people were still present at 1635 ... apart that is from the trader who was blocked in.

Cheers, Peter

PS Bodgit did a full day and George T was 'railroaded' in to do some running - grateful to both. PBB

• RMweb Premium

I too was press-ganged into operating today; Diesels In The Duchy at York Show. Well, I say press-ganged but the truth is I volunteered and really enjoyed it, even if it was smelly diseasels.

Some very nice layouts at York (as well as the usual mediocrity); favourite was Canada Street by a country mile, the buildings alone made it number one, never mind the exquisitely detailed and weathered stock (I saw it in the '68 to '74 period). Rolveden was lovely but I have seen it too many times.

It was nice to see that a good percentage of the layouts had handbuilt track. Sorry, but it really does make such a difference in my opinion (although there was one EM layout there that was a stinker; L&Y too......)

Morning gang, as Peter says, it was a good day at the Club, and numbers appeared to be up a little on the comparable Easter Sunday last year. George has been doing some Videoing of my Weathering which he will either put on here or in Bitton whilst I'm away. I'm hoping to see Neil, (Anotheran) at the Show today, and have another good day. I raised £35 for Club funds yesterday by doing Weathering Jobs for people so not bad for the first day.

Re DiD Jason, I have seen that about 3 times, but now and having spoken to Damian and Jonny Gringo a few times I might try and get an operating turn next time I see it at a show. Will you be coming down to DEMU again this year mate, as I really enjoyed operating BcB last year, (that was the week before my Stroke).

I'm not posting on Bitton until I get back from Bala next weekend and can start to sort out the Electrical issues with a new control panel. I hope in the meantime there is NO MORE talk about sausages on there whilst I'm away.

Re the Litter, when I first built Deesdale Road, someone said to me; It looks to clean and tidy, so I put loads of litter down amongst the track, and I have to say, it did look more like England Today, UNFORTUNEATELY.

Hi Guys,

Hope this will be taken TIC (tongue-in-cheek) but our club members get at least one years notice of our main annual Easter Open Event so why is it that so many decide to book holidays at this time?  Seriously though day 1 was pleasant to the extent that at 1615 hours it seemed like 1430 hours - unusual and I hope that day 2 is the same.  Having said that on the realisation that it was 1630 hours it was surprising how few people were still present at 1635 ... apart that is from the trader who was blocked in.

Cheers, Peter

PS Bodgit did a full day and George T was 'railroaded' in to do some running - grateful to both. PBB

Morning all,

Peter, I hope you chaps have another good day today and the time passes just as quickly, do try not to over-do things however. Look forward to George's video and hope Andy and Dee have a great break which will allow him to come back to Bitton firing on all cylinders!

Thanks for keeping us updated Peter, it would be really nice if some pictures were posted for us that can't get there!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi All,

Many thanks for all your concerns about my health, I do appreciate it and am touched!

Had a great day at York yesterday, my mate was going to drive but on Friday changed his mind so we took the train instead, £18.70 each from Man Pic to York return, I felt that was quite decent for an on the day ticket and so much more comfortable than driving!

Lovely time at the show, saw "Eisengebrau" by Norman Raven and family and had a good chat with father & son. This was my main reason for going to the show - another H0 scale Prussian fan and I enjoyed it a lot.

Also enjoyed some very pleasant US layouts and was blown away by "Rolvenden" (P4), "Diesels ITD" (EM), "Kinmundy" (EM) and "Felton Lane" (EM) No! Wait, that was 00 - truly remarkable, I could have sworn it was EM!! (at least!). As is so often the case, the day went far too quickly until it was time to catch the final shuttle bus back to the station and a trouble free ride back to Manchester and on to home.

What I was surprised about was the amount of rubbish folk had dumped in/on the railway cuttings, largely as we approached Leeds! Fridges, sofas, monitors, kids toys, TV's, all sorts of general household waste but once I saw what looked like at least three dead hares!!! (poisoned, maybe?). How can folk live like that?

What kind of people are we breeding in this country? This was over a stretch of railway line that had to be several miles long so not just one localised area but well spread out.

I've seen rubbish trackside before both in the UK and abroad but never in these amounts!

It was despicable and I was honestly shocked and ashamed for our country.

Sorry about this rant!

John E.

Hi John and all,

Firstly John.....OUCH that sounds pretty awful and here was me whinging about my dog bite and cortisone injection! 

I considered going to York but no-one fancied the drive and my knee would definitely have been cream crackered had I driven. I looked at the trainline prices from Liverpool and it was £50+ single or £76 return so that was that. As for rubbish, its always been a good sign to get you stuff together when travelling by train I find  :angel:  :jester:

• RMweb Premium

Morning gang, as Peter says, it was a good day at the Club, and numbers appeared to be up a little on the comparable Easter Sunday last year. George has been doing some Videoing of my Weathering which he will either put on here or in Bitton whilst I'm away. I'm hoping to see Neil, (Anotheran) at the Show today, and have another good day. I raised £35 for Club funds yesterday by doing Weathering Jobs for people so not bad for the first day.

Re DiD Jason, I have seen that about 3 times, but now and having spoken to Damian and Jonny Gringo a few times I might try and get an operating turn next time I see it at a show. Will you be coming down to DEMU again this year mate, as I really enjoyed operating BcB last year, (that was the week before my Stroke).

I'm not posting on Bitton until I get back from Bala next weekend and can start to sort out the Electrical issues with a new control panel. I hope in the meantime there is NO MORE talk about sausages on there whilst I'm away.

Re the Litter, when I first built Deesdale Road, someone said to me; It looks to clean and tidy, so I put loads of litter down amongst the track, and I have to say, it did look more like England Today, UNFORTUNEATELY.

he's off having fun but won't let us have any :laugh:

• RMweb Gold

Just left the Gresley & Wychnor club house after a very pleasant few hours chatting with a number of members including Andy, George and Peter. Great to see them all in the flesh again! I actually spent most of the time looking at the O and G gauges this visit... I need a bigger house!

Looking forward to seeing George's weathering videos.

Thanks to all at G&W for the welcome... and fantastic value cakes!

Now for the drive back to Stafford. I'll post some pictures once I've sorted through them.

Kind regards, Neil

• RMweb Premium

he's off having fun but won't let us have any :laugh:

I think we'd better behave ourselves this time. He was a bit upset about the great "Sausage debacle", so I'm steering well clear!

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Just returned from Cumbria. This weather is so good, I doubt I'll be in the bunker this week - except to collect the tools.

Lots of digging and building to look forward to!

Good to hear that some of you enjoyed the York show.

Jeff

The weather today certainly upset my plans.

The idea was to do some urgent shopping this morning, have lunch and then do some modelling.

The shopping happened, I then went into the village for lunch with a couple of pints of the local ale and walked back. Sat down on a chair outside and fell asleep for 4 hours.

Oh well, at least the bank holiday didn't live up to its normal wet and windy outlook.

Evening Guys, just a few pics from the weekend and George will post the Video's once downloaded and ALL THE SWEARING EDITED OUT.

post-9335-0-48960400-1428348227_thumb.jpg

And some O Gauge stock for a chap.

post-9335-0-77156300-1428348316_thumb.jpg

And the broken down Pickfords tanker.

post-9335-0-70989200-1428348375_thumb.jpg

And a View along the Old Canal Section.

post-9335-0-87802000-1428348444_thumb.jpg

Whoops! :O      :nono: :nono:  :nono:

post-9335-0-05836000-1428348568_thumb.jpg

And my 47 on the Mixed Goods.

post-9335-0-48124800-1428348665_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-01804800-1428348822_thumb.jpg

Whoops again.

post-9335-0-77597300-1428348895_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-52179100-1428348970_thumb.jpg

Some nice work there Andy. It looks like a good couple of days was had by all. :sungum:

BTW, when I've finished building all of my rolling stock I'll have to send them all up for weathering :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Peter, I hope you chaps have another good day today and the time passes just as quickly, do try not to over-do things however. Look forward to George's video and hope Andy and Dee have a great break which will allow him to come back to Bitton firing on all cylinders!

Thanks for keeping us updated Peter, it would be really nice if some pictures were posted for us that can't get there!

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hi Jock,

Thanks.  Attendance was not as good today - the weather and fairground probably did better.  Will try to find some pictures but ... both Big John M and myself took cameras but ended up running all day and discovered that we did not photograph apart for me having successfully stopped both an up and down passenger train at a station that I could not see - a first - so I went visitor side and photographed it and a couple of scenic pictures).  We did however have a visit from the local Burton Mail photographer so hopefully some will appear join the local press.

Peter

I see further down that Bodjit has posted some that he took PBB

post-12576-0-51109900-1428350915_thumb.jpg

post-12576-0-53507200-1428350954_thumb.jpg

post-12576-0-65733000-1428350988_thumb.jpg

You guys need a blast from the Antipodes, ..a real railway engine   compound 4-cyl A class No.472 my grandfather's favourite in days when drivers kept 'their' engine to themselves for much of the time.

In reading about these engines, the weathered model engine I have bought 2-cyl conversion No.601 was timed by my father in 1941 at 63.4 mph max in a start-to-stop distance of 9.8 miles with nine total , and as I mentioned I travelled behind it in the 1950s so it's all NZR at the moment here!

post-7929-0-59036900-1428353668_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-24308500-1428353759_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-13466200-1428354824_thumb.jpg

Still waiting for my NRM weathered Ivatt too..

Cheers,

Robbie

edit ;  quite amazing that NZ built these engines in 1906 with 4-cyl compound 4-6-2 arrangement, state-of-the-art 225lb boiler, structure and design, with the country's population only around 1 million. And when they were superheated after 1909 they were even better!  :)

And that's not even mentioning the 4-8-4s of 1932 some of which ran until 1970.

edit 2 ;  the second series of these engines, called 'Ab' had a first loco which was the only named loco ever for NZR., it was called 'Passchendaele' after we lost 1,800 men in 3 days there in 1917 3rd battle of Ypres.  Mentioned it before probably, sorry.

BTW Guys, I forgot to mention earlier that it was really good to see Neil, (Anotheran) again and have a good chat. The word on the street is that he's selling ALL HIS OO and going Garden Railway next week! :no:  :no: :no:  

Here's a few more pics before bed time.

post-9335-0-90846200-1428356249_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-95004100-1428356353_thumb.jpg

Who keeps painting all those Clouds?

post-9335-0-10619900-1428356402_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-54151000-1428356467_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-69478600-1428356552_thumb.jpg

Oh dear George????????????????????????????

post-9335-0-85985300-1428356604_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-73091600-1428356716_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-14710200-1428356775_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-96324600-1428356831_thumb.jpg

post-9335-0-12721700-1428356896_thumb.jpg

See you next Friday Guys.

Looking superb as ever Jeff,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Indeed Jeff is clearly enjoying building far too much!

Just for diversion here is a model S scale (1:64) A class 472 compound 4-6-2 in 1930s form, photographed with my grandfather Gilbert driving, in a very typical NZ scene...  something about the light, every place seems to have its own character. Quite harsh, is NZ light, dunno about Yorkshire.

...still waiting for my weathered A 601 2-cyl and Ivatt C1 Atlantic... 

post-7929-0-51691100-1428467990_thumb.jpg

Best wishes to everyone,

Rob

• RMweb Premium

Doing a catch-up after another building day. Actually put some more plants into the soil today, so it's not all about bricks and concrete.

Even the bunker enjoyed a good aeration, with the side door wide open all day. I doesn't have that "emulsiony" smell anymore.

As always, I await the variety of entertainment that you lot serve up on here!

Jeff

• RMweb Gold

George. That video confirms my thinking. I WILL be sending Andy all of my rolling stock for weathering.

It was good watching Andy at times although George T had to do a bit when his right arm stiffened.  Andy's gone on holiday to get away from it all but I bet he'll get a footplate ride somewhere!  There were no end of requests over the weekend but he was kept fed and watered by Mike.  Somewhere in mind we were trying to make him rest but it seems ... Duncan he soon won't have any room to work on Bitton - the queue is getting longer.

Cheers,Peter

Archived