Lunester Lounge: CLOSED

Physicsman

• RMweb Gold

It takes all sorts to make an exhibition. Holiday Haunts was a big 0 gauge exhibition layout and very popular but trains just ran round nothing happened. It did showcase some lovely models but I found it boring (apologies to my friends who built it!). I expect layouts to run rather more trains than one would see in real life, but some are ridiculous. However the public like toy train sets so who am I to tell them that's wrong. An exhibition should have some good layouts to show what can be done.

Don

Psst! You wanna buy a giraffe wagon mate? Got one here, kit built, professionally weathered, just needs wheels and couplings... 

Love Gostude

hat coat roller skates ...

Thanks, looking for the ROCKET LAUNCER next then I can join in with the conversation in tougther room about the Moon etc. :no:  :no: :no:  

It takes all sorts to make an exhibition. Holiday Haunts was a big 0 gauge exhibition layout and very popular but trains just ran round nothing happened. It did showcase some lovely models but I found it boring (apologies to my friends who built it!). I expect layouts to run rather more trains than one would see in real life, but some are ridiculous. However the public like toy train sets so who am I to tell them that's wrong. An exhibition should have some good layouts to show what can be done.

Don

I agree Don, Scout Green Crossing was an example of that at the Weekend, a Twin Track oval just depicting the Level Crossing and a 6 Road Fiddle Yard all in O Gauge and only 18ft x 16.5ft and a bit of Hill and Walling, but as you may have seen on the Video, I enjoyed it for all its shortcomings of the same train doing about 20 circuits at a time.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, looking for the ROCKET LAUNCER next then I can join in with the conversation in tougther room about the Moon etc. :no:  :no: :no:  

Andy, the Asylum is for ANY topic other than railways, so please change the theme and start a new discussion. I'd hate you to feel excluded because a few of us are ranting on about Science...

Jeff

Andy, the Asylum is for ANY topic other than railways, so please change the theme and start a new discussion. I'd hate you to feel excluded because a few of us are ranting on about Science...

Jeff

Hhahaaa NOT complaining mate, I'm really enjoying it, but as I know nothing about it I don't want to spoil a good conversation with some SILLY and UNNESSASARY rubbish.

Keep up the good work.

• RMweb Premium

When I visited Jeff and KL just before it's demise (and I guess it was the same when Andy visited), a lot of the time we just left trains running round as we were chatting so much and taking photos. Pretty sure we did the same when I visited Mike and his lovely Dent.

I guess the same happens with a lot of roundy roundy layouts as unless you are having a proper operating session or working to a timetable, you are setting a road, watching the train pass and then repeat until fade whereas with a terminus, you have to bring the train to a halt and at the simplest level, reverse it and send it out again.

As I say, proper operating sessions (and normally exhibitions) are different but sometimes it is easy and enjoyable to just watch trains go by (and with KL & Dent, they were / are large enough for there being a delay before you see them again.

Very much enjoyed watching your video this morning, it gave a good flavour of the whole event Andy.

(Tongue in cheek..... I like the way your vid changes to black and white when you put your sunglasses on ! )

Nice stuff and agree with you post about Hungerford, having not seen it in person this is the next best thing.

Thank you :)

• RMweb Premium

When I visited Jeff and KL just before it's demise (and I guess it was the same when Andy visited), a lot of the time we just left trains running round as we were chatting so much and taking photos. Pretty sure we did the same when I visited Mike and his lovely Dent.

I guess the same happens with a lot of roundy roundy layouts as unless you are having a proper operating session or working to a timetable, you are setting a road, watching the train pass and then repeat until fade whereas with a terminus, you have to bring the train to a halt and at the simplest level, reverse it and send it out again.

As I say, proper operating sessions (and normally exhibitions) are different but sometimes it is easy and enjoyable to just watch trains go by (and with KL & Dent, they were / are large enough for there being a delay before you see them again.

I hope the same will be true with KL2, Jason. There'll be the chance for a bit of shunting in the goods yard while the main line has up and down freight - and the occasional passenger.

I really enjoyed all the shunting on Bacup, so a good blend of activities should keep us interested in the long term. That is, if we can stop laughing at the "highly civilised" humour we tend to participate in.

And btw, I should be doing a bit of work in the bunker tomorrow. Not today - got my hands full sorting out the new telescope and making mods to the others!!

Jeff

I hope the same will be true with KL2, Jason. There'll be the chance for a bit of shunting in the goods yard while the main line has up and down freight - and the occasional passenger.

I really enjoyed all the shunting on Bacup, so a good blend of activities should keep us interested in the long term. That is, if we can stop laughing at the "highly civilised" humour we tend to participate in.

And btw, I should be doing a bit of work in the bunker tomorrow. Not today - got my hands full sorting out the new telescope and making mods to the others!!

Jeff

ABOUT BLEEDIN TIME BOSS, hhhahahhah :O

Jeff

Only the occasional passenger Jeff? I hope Scott isn't planning a Beechingman to lurk up on the Fell alongside Mankiniman!

Regards

Bill

• RMweb Gold

A lot depends on what the layout builder intends. Ken Payne like to see trains run he did shunt the yard in the country station or run a train up the branch but a lot of time it was running different trains round. David Jenkins (he and Ken were mates) wanted a layout that could run a proper service so he chose a Terminus Kendal served by two lines one of which had a wayside station Marthwaite and a fiddleyard area. There was a capability to run round an oval of double track as well but the operation was important to David. 

Probably the best of both worlds is served by the capability to do both.  A continuous run is useful for testing or when non-railway minded folk want to see the 'Train Set'. It is also nice when you stop for a cuppa or have a few minutes to spare just to watch one run. However when you fancy a proper session ideally with a like minded friend or two it is a great way to spend a few hours. To have a good session you need a layout which involves some terminal work. Trains which arrive stop ideally reform and then depart again. Take somewhere like Hungerford. Most trains just passed through stopping to put down or pick up passengers. Perhaps the odd goods train dropped off or picked up a wagon or two Once or twice a day a pickup goods would stop and shunt the station yard. Not an exacting operation. Compare that  with Exeter Central the SR station. Typically a train from London would arrive the Heavy Engine would come off a lighter engine would come onto the front coaches which might form a Plymouth train the Dinning cars if any would be taken to the carriage sidings. Another engine would couple onto the rear coaches and set off for Ilfracombe or Padstow.  In the up direction two portions would be combined to run to London. Now that is interesting operation and that is the main trains add in some locals and the Exmouth branch trains and we haven't considered the goods yet. These are the extremes but if you want to enjoy running trains give some thought to the operation. 

Don

• RMweb Premium

With Dunster I can leave a train doing the roundy roundy when someone wants to chat or I go off to get a cuppa or something and leave someone less familiar with the layouts operation in charge.

When there's interest however trains stop and have vans attached or detached. Sometimes whole trains get shunted. I usually run three in one direction and three in the other with some intermediate shunting moves. If any one spectator stays to watch that lot I'm usually impressed.

If I ever get around to modeling Minehead, a loop behind the back scene is planned so as to keep something running when the need arises!

This set up will be an oval with Dunster on one side and Minehead on the other. That way it will fit upstairs in the back attic room. Nothing wrong with having two layouts! :-)

Did someone mention TWO LAYOUTS? Now there's an idea, hahhhahahha :nono:  :nono: :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  :nono:  

:triniti:

We are still waiting for your first one to flower in the Potting Shed.  There have been plenty of seeds sown but nothing has started to germinate yet :jester:

We are still waiting for your first one to flower in the Potting Shed.  There have been plenty of seeds sown but nothing has started to germinate yet :jester:

Trust me Mick, it has started to grow, and is progressing steadily, I'm away next week but when I come back I will get some Grow More Fertilizer on it and it should blossom by August for about 6 weeks before dying off and requiring UPROOTING and putting in the Compost Heap.

:O

:no:

:nono:

Trust me Mick, it has started to grow, and is progressing steadily, I'm away next week but when I come back I will get some Grow More Fertilizer on it and it should blossom by August for about 6 weeks before dying off and requiring UPROOTING and putting in the Compost Heap.

:O

:no:

:nono:

You are a very naughty person Andrew P! Do you realize people out here are beginning to break into a sweat at the thoughts of you doing a 'Larry' again?

Regards

(A very nervous) Bill :drag:

• RMweb Gold

At the Stafford show this year, Humber Dock (minimal space P4) was next to some family fun layout (Stafford MRS's modern image one). I was alone in front of Humber Dock chatting with Ian for over 20 minutes, his small layout is beautifully modelled. The layout next to it (Whiteacres?) was in a throng of punters the whole time and when they moved on, they only cast HD a cursory glance.  guess that if you want a sure fire popular exhibition layout then all you really need to do is smash down a ton of Peco track, open some Skaledale boxes and spend a few grand at Hattons.

Sorry to come so late in on this topic, but I do need to pick up on this one. While it may not be to everyone's taste the visible track and pointwork on Whiteacres is all handbuilt with C&L and Exactoscale components and the overwhelming majority of bridges and buildings are scratch built, the remainder being mainly modified kits. All of which has hundreds of hours from many people.

Was it designed as a crowd pleaser... yes it was, but with a high quality of modelling within it. Stafford, in common with many clubs relies on its show for a significant part of its income so it needs crowd pleasers to draw in the big crowds and also to enthuse the next generation of modellers. But that doesn't mean that there isn't a vast amount of high quality modelling on the layout many of the buildings of which would attract a similar price to your signal box if a sensible hourly rate reflected the effort. But, as you point out, many punters still look at them and assume they are RTP or simple kits!

• RMweb Gold

I can enjoy watching someone shunting. I can usually follow what is going on. I believe Joe Public hasn't a clue about shunting and see it as random shoving wagons about an holds little interest compared to something moving at a decent pace especially if it has a big un up front.

Mind you I have seen layouts at shows where the shunting was mindless shoving wagons about.

Don

I can enjoy watching someone shunting. I can usually follow what is going on. I believe Joe Public hasn't a clue about shunting and see it as random shoving wagons about an holds little interest compared to something moving at a decent pace especially if it has a big un up front.

Mind you I have seen layouts at shows where the shunting was mindless shoving wagons about.

Don

Hahahha,  So you have seen me operating Glen Roy at Exhibitions then, hahha.

Our club shows used to be held in the Spa (now called the Pavilion) in Whitby.  We had many very good quality layouts like "Bramblewick" and "Maristow"  but the one that drew the most spectators was a collection of old Hornby '0' gauge stuff thundering around a multiple oval layout of three rail track.  It was colourful and very noisy and the punters loved it.  You really can't win.

Derek

• RMweb Gold

Our club shows used to be held in the Spa (now called the Pavilion) in Whitby.  We had many very good quality layouts like "Bramblewick" and "Maristow"  but the one that drew the most spectators was a collection of old Hornby '0' gauge stuff thundering around a multiple oval layout of three rail track.  It was colourful and very noisy and the punters loved it.  You really can't win.

Derek

Now Maristow is a pleasure to operate, a proper interlocked lever frame signals and trap points you have to think what you are doing.

Done

Having been Exhibition Manager at Merseyside MRS I gave up trying to judge the outcome of the 'visitors cup' vote, we as a club also had a separate members vote for an additional cup which of course went to a good quality 'modellers' type layout, this at least prevented sour grapes from some attendees when the public would vote for perhaps a 'Thomas' layout - yes it happened once. I no longer have that to worry about I just do my own thing now.

Archived