Who makes complete loco kits ?

Who makes complete loco kits ? I was going to buy one of the DJH starter kits but they are out of stock. Is there anybody else that makes something similar ? I am interested in small shunting / industrial steam or diesel locos. I am getting tired of exploring the possibility of buying a loco kit only to find that the wheels are not available or the particular axle size required is no longer made !

Not many, but phone Dave at Southeastern Finecast should be able to help, their locos are well designed and in most cases easy to build.

But first what type of loco or region are you interested in.

As a first kit I would go for a simple tank loco without pony trucks, bogies or outside valve gear

Option 1

Buy one of the revised kits which includes a chassis, he also supplies wheels motors and gears and I guess he will make up a complete kit.

Option 2

Buy one of the bodyline kits, then either use one of their chassis kits (Dave again can sort out wheels, motor & gears) or buy the RTR chassis it was designed to fit (which may need the chassis block altered).

I've been trying to get you on the telepathy line but can't get through, so I'll ask here instead: what scale are you modelling?

Sorry, I always forget to mention 4mm scale ! I would prefer an LMS loco but I will consider anything including industrial locos.

I think it's unlikely you'll find anything approaching the K's complete kit package (with the possible exception of the DJH you've already mentioned).  There are too many variables in the whole thing - three different gauges, personal preference for motor or gearbox, gearbox ratio required - for a manufacturer to be able to cater for all preferences.

SEF have been mentioned; Judith Edge kits have an excellent reputation; High Level also make gearboxes so they'll be able to supply that an a motor and recommend wheels; the easiest kit I've built in the last few years was an Arthur Kimber J73. 

Craftsman do a small LMS loco, I believe; they're not exorbitantly expensive and they may well be able to recommend or even supply wheels, motor and gearbox with it.  Other than that I'm afraid I'm not an LMS modeller.  If you can find one, I built the Crownline Sentinel which is an LMS variant and used a BullAnt motor bogie in it.

SEF do the CR / LMS Caley tank which is a bodyline kit but they do an etched chassis for it FC200. Or the LMS Flatiron 0-6-4T which is one of the updated kits with extra details over the old Wills models (nice big loco with plenty of room for flywheels) also easy to build.

They do both a LMS Fowler 4F and Midland 4F, these also are the updated kits.

As I said David can supply wheels gears and motors  http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/Contents.htm. Give him either a call or an email for a quote and or advice

You didn't state a preference for white metal or etched brass but as you mentioned DJH I assume you were looking at white metal.

I am not an LMS modeller either but nevertheless built a very nice North London 0-6-0 Tank in LMS service from the Gem white metal body kit sold by Branchlines as a complete kit with etched compensated chassis, motor, gearbox, wheels and detailing parts.  Brian will make up your kit with different wheels (Gibson or Romford), simple gearbox or two stage multibox and different motor if preferred.  It can be built as OO, EM or P4.  It's a while since I built it but as I recall P4 was a bit of a challenge as I imagine EM would be as well due to the connecting rod clearance - however in OO it should be straightforward.  I believe the only change I made was to fit a brass cab roof in place of the rather chunky cast one.

I have bought quite a lot things from Branchlines over the years and service under both original and new management has been excellent - especially in my case for international shipping.  (usual disclaimers).  Unfortunately they do not have a web page but an email to Brian at sales@branchlines.com or call to 01373-822231 will get you a catalogue.

post-7723-0-41499900-1361384771_thumb.jpg

Our Ruston 48DS kit is complete, £70 + £3 postage, next new kit (RH 88DS) will also be sold complete. We also do the LSWR electric Bo-Bo DS74 complete but this doesn't sound like what you are looking for.

Michael Edge

Judith Edge kits

When will the new kit (RH 88DS) be available ?

There is also this, etched nickel silver chassis, etched brass body and cast resin saddle tank.

post-1191-0-93659300-1361436797.jpg

just one of the London Road Models range. LRM can also supply motor and gears to suit, but wheels would have to be purchased from Markits or Alan Gibson. The LRM range has a number of loco kits that might fit the bill, some of which are quite well suited to building a first  loco model.

http://www.scalefour.org/LondonRoadModels/  (don't let the website address confuse you, it is simply hosted by the S4Society, a service they offer to their members).

The question of wheel availability is interesting in that both Markits and AG list specific prototype locos for their wheels but invariably the correct diameter for any model is available. You may have to compromise on the number of spokes, crankpin throw or rim profile, but it isn't usually too obvious.

• RMweb Premium

For what it is worth I had a very positive experience with SEF; called them and explained that I was new to kit loco modelling and was interested in ex GNR/GER stuff; they recommended a good kit (N7? forget now...) and supplied complete with motor, wheels etc and a hand written note "don't hesitate to call for advice if you get into trouble".

Can't say fairer than that.

Best,

George

Archived