Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

Lovely photos, I'm thinking of making a trip up that area and just spend a day watching the trains go by. :)

Thanks for the advice Cav, I too looked at joining a local club but found nothing suitable. The one I did attend seemed set on an existing project which I couldn't really contribute to so it seemed pointless attending. Shame, they seemed a nice enough bunch!

My grand design for a layout is set in the peaks also, due to the peaks being my home, it seemed only fitting. I'll make sure I share any photos I get with you in case they prove useful. :)

Edited by DanielB

Great photos there. The pair of 37s is definatly something I will replicate if only on the roadstone though. One of my fav trains of the time.

Ill be interested in seeing anything you may have Daniel and any progress on your project.

Cav

I'm also from Chesterfield and the LMS (Little Midland Society) is the club I am a member of. A great bunch of folks (mostly of the older generation).

I know that membership of a club is not for everyone, but I find it enjoyable.

It's no problem Daniel, the forum should be a bit of a sit around a pub table really. I will post Millers Dale stuff when some is available to carry the thread on.

Anyway, the main painting is done for the LL 47. She is now 47 459. Needs her front lamp iron now adding and the final weathering done but she is coming on. I was a little disappointed with the fox transfers LL numbers though. They sent me an older FMR set which quite franky were rubbish. The carrier film was slightly yellowed, very thick and would not sit down even on the gloss finish using micro set and micro sol. Needless to say I will be reluctant to order fox numbersets again and may instead go for the rub on type from replica to eliminate carrier altogether. Anyway here's a pic so far. I will hopefully be able to weather in the carrier and improve matters.

post-6894-0-88999000-1362562270_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-69349700-1362562318_thumb.jpg

Cav

• Like 8

Hi Cav,

The 47 looks nice, pitty you had problems with the transfers though. I have been using the Replica rub on numbers and data panels on my 00 stuff for years and think they are great. Definetly worth a go.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter, yes I think I will certainly follow your lead in future. Its one of those things that really frustrates. There really is no excuse to be palming off old stock when the finish of someones hard work is at stake, at £5.95 a set they aren't cheap either. The new stuff is excellent and a sheet of those would have been expected, and required it seems. I can only say that I was glad it wasn't a customers loco I was finishing or else I would have been even crosser.

Anyway once its finished I'll take some proper shots with my good camera as the phone has a nightmare trying to take a good shot of the N gauge stuff.

Cav

Thanks Peter, yes I think I will certainly follow your lead in future. Its one of those things that really frustrates. There really is no excuse to be palming off old stock when the finish of someones hard work is at stake, at £5.95 a set they aren't cheap either. The new stuff is excellent and a sheet of those would have been expected, and required it seems. I can only say that I was glad it wasn't a customers loco I was finishing or else I would have been even crosser.

Anyway once its finished I'll take some proper shots with my good camera as the phone has a nightmare trying to take a good shot of the N gauge stuff.

Cav

Hi Cav,

I think if I were you I would send whats left back to Fox and ask for your money back. Tell them what you think, as you say 5.95 is not cheap.

Look forwards to seeing the finished model.

Cheers Peter.

I did send them a polite email of complaint yesterday but as of yet I have had no reply. They have 2 choices really, try to win back a customer or I take my business elsewhere.

Cav

• Like 2

I was a little disappointed with the fox transfers LL numbers though. They sent me an older FMR set which quite franky were rubbish. The carrier film was slightly yellowed, very thick and would not sit down even on the gloss finish using micro set and micro sol. 

Cav

I had the same issue with the Large Logo pack for the 37's. Only one of the half dozen of so arrows was actually the correct size, all yellowed and crusty.

Rgds

Mark

I got a second chopper this week from eBay, needs a bit of work to get running properly but I'm happy to finally have a pair. Also managed to get a blue 56, large logo 47 and 37, and a Dapol 9F. Productive week. :)

It was the railfreight grey one. Sold as a non-runner but I've just tested it and it works perfectly!

The 47 was part of a pair of auctions that have split cogs - got that and the 37 for just under £50 delivered. Bargain!

On top of that I just won a damaged 56 in RF Coal for £21 - can fix that one pretty easily too I'd wager. 

Edited by DanielB

Well for me it's always been a 9F ever since I stood on the footplate of Black Prince, which I've finally managed to source! Plus a pair of choppers and a 37 which I've now also got. Only thing left is a 56xx but that may have to wait as it doesn't exactly fit the theme or the period!

No, next up for me is rolling stock - mineral wagons and the like. I've enoug locos now to make an MPD or a steam shed, but not much in terms of rolling stock for them to pull!

Yes rolling stock is a suprisingly big investment. I have managed to get hold of a rake of 15 hea hoppers but really need 4 times the amount to make a loaded and unloaded working. I also need 2 rakes of stone hoppers and some railfreight speedlink wagons for deliveries to the yard as a minimum. passenger stock then too!

Cav

Not helping chaps!

One of the reasons I'm going with the BR Blue period - I can re-use some of the older rolling stock that I already have! :D

Still need TTA's TAA's and more, SORRY

Andy