Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

If it's 'block' trains of wagons you are looking for.......... :biggrin_mini2:

40034 passing Chinley with 25 Stavely Quarry wagons on 21st September1978.....

post-6680-0-07364500-1362657441.jpg

40042 thundering up through Chinley with a long train of wooden and BR steel wagons covered in lime(?) on 24th September 1977....

post-6680-0-62812100-1362657442.jpg

40170 on the climb into Chinley with a train of 4-wheel tank and cement wagons on 2nd August 1977....

post-6680-0-83195300-1362657445.jpg

Ex. works 40112 rolling downgrade through Chinley with a train of 4-wheel cement wagons. Circa 1977 or 1978....

post-6680-0-13189800-1362657449.jpg

• Like 2

Loving these pictures.

The first one looks long for 25 wagons, making me think I don't need quite as many as I thought. I'm sure 25 coal hoppers behind a 56 would look good and I might get away with 15 bogie roadstones per train?

Cav

• Like 1

Brilliant pictures again there, loving it. For me I'm limited by my fiddle yard space, which I'm guessing is going to be about 4' per road between points, or at least that's what I'm aiming for. Hopefully enough for around an 8 car HST and the equivalent in bogie hoppers.

I am tempted to add in 2 extra lanes to the fiddle yard though - a linking lane using y points at either end to join the up and down fiddle yards together so I can marshal trains between tracks, and a single massive 6' loop siding that bypasses the fiddle yard entirely so I can stable a either double headed goods trains or something to really show off what my 9F can do!

You'll need more than 4ft for an 8 car HST, the coaches alone are 6 inches long so the 8 cars will take up the road then you have the powers cars on top. I'm planning on doing a 7 car HST myself although an 8 car will go in the fiddle. I just think it will look better. The platforms at Millers Dale won't take a full HST set in any case so will have to have an over hanging train for the stoppers!

Not designed my fiddle yards yet but will need to make sure I can fit the longer trains in, the stone trains if I go for only 15 bogie hoppers come in at nearly 6ft.

Cav

Hi cav I have been watching your work for quite some time now and it is fantastic. I will be watching this one coming along your time period has got me thinking now I am considering going back to the late 80s early 90s

Your 47 looks brilliant look forward to the next update.

Stuart

I totally agree Andy, and they almost seem a waste of space taking up all that room. I clearly didn't put enough effort into Outon Roads fiddles and I fully intend to rectify that with Millers Dale.

Cav

I assure you Heavy Metal is pretty impressive Andrew.

Oh you meant the Layout? :P

Both, got Led Zep on in the car at the moment, (well not quite at the moment as I am indoors typing on here) :no:

Andy :sungum:

More rock and roll than heavy metal I know, but I'm more partial to the Rolling Stones. :D

Midnight Rambler, yes, When I was in a band we used to do a few Stones numbers, they always went down well.

Andy

Heavy Metal.is interesting in both connotations!

Anyway a little more work on the 47. Not 100% finished yet, I need to get the weathering on the chassis tweaked and once the roof soot has dried I will pick out the details in a dark almost black wash.

Anyway here she it tonight

post-6894-0-11963600-1362696687_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-48622000-1362696738_thumb.jpg

post-6894-0-92182500-1362696791_thumb.jpg

Cav

• Like 15

I find the trick is not to get closer to your model, but to up the photo quality setting on the camera and take the photo from a relative distance, then use photo editing software to crop it down to a suitable level. It's not a foolproof method, but it seems to produce decent results. :)

Probably preaching to the choir of course, but just trying to be helpful.

Yes chaps I will get some better pics when its done with my good camera. I am just taking progress shots with my phone camera which obviously hasnt got anything like the same number of optiins as a proper SLR and the lighting in the dining room at night isnt the best. I agree Andy a tripod is essential and a assive F stop with long exposure too.

Cav

For added variety (and more expence!) I suppose you could also run a Derby to Longsight Carriage Sidings parcels train. Permanent way work was in progress at Chinley North Junction when 40024 drifted through on 5th August 1977. The 'Peak' line is on the right.....

post-6680-0-42051000-1362733886.jpg

31195 heading the 13.27 Empty Parcels stock from Nunnery Sidings to Longsight through Chinley Station on 1st August 1977....

post-6680-0-68736800-1362733450.jpg

Just noticed the 'Desaturate' facilty is causing blurr so i have stopped using it.

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 1

Cracking stuff again coachman. I was intending on getting a parcels diagram on there in any case so nice to have a reason for one. Good train for a 31 or 47 haulage I think.

Cav

• RMweb Gold

For added variety (and more expence!) I suppose you could also run a Derby to Longsight Carriage Sidings parcels train. Permanent way work was in progress at Chinley North Junction when 40024 drifted through on 5th August 1977. The 'Peak' line is on the right.....

attachicon.gifWEB Chinley North parcels A.jpg

31195 heading the 13.27 Empty Parcels stock from Nunnery Sidings to Longsight through Chinley Station on 1st August 1977....

attachicon.gifWEB Chinley parcels B.jpg

Just noticed the 'Desaturate' facilty is causing blurr so i have stopped using it.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what are the vans in front of the CCTs in both trains?

Cheers, Mike

Please forgive my ignorance, but what are the vans in front of the CCTs in both trains?

Cheers, Mike

General Untility Vans of Southern design, variously named COVCARS, PMV's, or CCT's. A Maunsell development of the SE&CR van continued into BR days. The CCT had end doors, the PMV didnt. Planking differed according to when built. Some had even planks while some had a combination of plywood and unevenly planked doors.. All allocated to S.Region for maintenance but they were not restricted in movement and could operate on Restriction 'O' routes into Hastings as well as all of BR. Liveries through their lives ranged from SECR livery, SR Olive, SR Malachite, BR carmine red, BR Maroon and BR Rail blue.

• Like 1