Millers Dale in the 80s - BR Peak Line in N

RBE

Hi cav I really like the plan you have come up with and can't wait to see it started. Your 47 has come out brilliantly Iv been thinking about having ago at a resprayed myself. Practice first though of course. Haha. I will be following with great interest

Stuart

I think you guys are trying to bankrupt me with the stock list! haha.

Maybe I will add a new Bachmann/farish 25 when they show.

Thanks for the compliment on the 47. It really looks the biz in the flesh. Ive also managed to pick up a 45 and an hst set so things are coming on!

Cav

Sounds good Andy, I am quite happy with N thanks. Really got the 2mm bug now!!

25161peakforest.jpg

Bit like this from 1980? (photo courtesy of Derby Sulzers website)

Cav

Edited by RBE
  • Like 1

Nice work. There is a surprising amount of room in the N gauge stuff.

I'm not sure whether sound is as relevant in N though, would need to be very quite for scale sound I feel. Ok at home but in exhibition it would be lost I reckon.

Whats the sound quality like with the tiny speakers?

Cav

I was thinking of putting a Hi Fi speaker set under the center of the boards and having the chips on the back of he layout not in the loco,  not to sure on that one at the moment though :no: with fade in and out it might just work

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

With the Hope Valley passed for mainline steam, I am sure the Peak line would have captured this traffic had it been open. Hope I am not also tempting you into bankrupcy.....

Met Camm leading a Unit lash-up departing Chinley while a Black 5 and Jubilee wait for the road....

post-6680-0-44102100-1362996604.jpg

Scots Guardsman entering Chinley from Sheffield...

post-6680-0-11880800-1362996607.jpg

• Like 2

Really like the wagons but weren't built until 1988 which puts them a gnats whisker out of the time period for me. Of course I could set myself a time span of say 1985 to 1990 and then I can run all this stuff!!

Cav

Plus the NGS kit is still just shy of £20 a wagon which is a fair chunk of wedge!

Edited by RBE

Considering semaphores for the layout as the areas around peak forest and Buxton still rock them. The question I have is if there were some major track and station remodelling as I'm planning would the signalling have been replaced with colour lights or would the existing semaphores have been reused and relocated to suit?

Cav

I like the Dapol signals and would probably go for them if I went semaphore. I don't really know if mixing is really prototypical? I think it would probably look odd as well tbh.

Cav

1985. Then you would need class 120 dmu's which were the usual units used on the Matlock branch. If the peak line had stayed open then they would have possible extended the Matlock trains as stoppers to Buxton.

Saturday morning spotting at Derby, the lunch time unit to Matlock Bath, dinner at my Grans and then down to Causeway Lane to watch Matlock Town. Happy days, sort of, as Matlock usualy lost.

The railway was great before the sprinter revolution. Forget the late 80's you need a blue world.

Edited by islander

Hi Cav, How many 31's will you need? hahahhheeee the Farrish one is on its way :O

Andy.

Loads as I love 31's!!

1985. Then you would need class 120 dmu's which were the usual units used on the Matlock branch. If the peak line had stayed open then they would have possible extended the Matlock trains as stoppers to Buxton.

Saturday morning spotting at Derby, the lunch time unit to Matlock Bath, dinner at my Grans and then down to Causeway Lane to watch Matlock Town. Happy days, sort of, as Matlock usualy lost.

The railway was great before the sprinter revolution. Forget the late 80's you need a blue world.

I hear you however I do like the railfreight grey 37's and HST's & 47's in Executive intercity so mid 80's suits me most!

Cav

• RMweb Gold

I like the Dapol signals and would probably go for them if I went semaphore. I don't really know if mixing is really prototypical? I think it would probably look odd as well tbh.

Cav

There are locations with a mix. In such cases, it's usually a majority of colour-light with a lesser quantity of semaphore.

In and around Matlock some colour light signals were in use by the 1950's. One was positioned at the start of the platform at Cromford, probably acting as a distant signal for Matlock Bath and I have seen another picture of one to the South of Matlock Station just before hightor tunnel. They were probably replacement's for semaphore signals which were a long way from the controling signal box.

Would this line have come under the control of Derby power box in the 1970's?

Edited by islander

That may well be near enough to justify a 25. The last 25 was withdrawn in 87 which was also the year that sectorisation came in. I may be able to overlap a bit if I'm careful.

Cav