N Gauge Society kit 54 - KSA "Cube" wagon and timber carrier

Revolution Ben

• RMweb Gold

Hi Alistair,

Thanks!  So far I am happy - and relieved that the red production mouldings of the floor and side are nice and straight and fit together well - the first tests were a little warped as can be seen in early images in this thread!

Now just need to check the decals are right, and ensure the stanchions all fit right, and we're ready to go!

cheers

Ben A.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Last week a sample decal set arrived, and this evening I had a chance to test fit them to the KSA timber carrier variant, which will be Kit 54b.

The sheet includes a complete set of small markings, along with fully finished numbersets for ten vehicles.

post-420-0-96252600-1383087696_thumb.jpg

The first job was to add the narrow hazard striping along the edges of the deck.  This appears to have been left in place from when the wagons had sliding doors and moveable decks.  These are designed to be added in paired strips before the timber retaining stanchions are glued in position.  The instructions are a final draft printed on my computer.

post-420-0-05335700-1383087782_thumb.jpg

Once the deck stripes were done, the side markings were added.  The kit can be built with three different end styles (solid unmodified, with cut-outs or with cut-outs and slats) and the instructions list which numbersets correspond to which end type.

post-420-0-20399600-1383087896_thumb.jpg

This test build is almost done now - the decals were coated with Johnson's Klear to seal and now all that's left is to fit the stanchions, buffers, couplers and some small etched details - lashing loops and handbrakewheels.  Then it will be given the lightest touch of weathering and sent to take its place in the NGS display stand cabinet.  Now I am happy with the decals and etched parts they will be ordered for the production run.  I can send off the instructions, and this kit will be ready for launch.

post-420-0-20395100-1383087961_thumb.jpg

The original Rover van version (54a) will be a little longer as Bernard Taylor (TPM) is still preparing the master for the cast hood section.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

A day off today allowed me to complete the test build for the KSA timber carrier.  This model will now receive a light weathering and go in the NGS exhibition display cabinet.

The last components to be added were the small etched details - stanchion corner fillets, handbrakewheels and lashing loops.  These last looked fine when I drew them out but appear overscale on the model, so I have reduced them in size a little for the production etch.

The stanchion fillets are repetitive to add but fairly straightforward, and I would consider this to be an intermediate kit.  The stanchion 2nd from right is not quite straight (put this down to the incompetence of the builder) however checking photographs suggests they do get knocked out of "true" by the loads, so I can live with this!

I will send off the artwork for the etches and instructions in the next day or so, and once the NGS shop has them we are hoping to formally launch this kit.  I think it'll look good behind a Colas 66 or 56!

Apologies for the poor quality photograph, just snapped on phone to give an idea!

post-420-0-13004600-1383264759_thumb.jpg

The van version is still under development, pending the production of etched parts to fabricate parts of the body.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Sorry... couldn't resist.

Obviously at the moment this is the only one, so I have cropped the photo to create the illusion there might be more!  Again apologies for the poor quality but snapped on the phone....

post-420-0-43483500-1383293711_thumb.jpg

I think a rake of these will look rather nice.  I may experiment next with adding a load...

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello John,

All the components are in except for the NEM sockets that clip into our bogies. We had a batch done a few months ago and they were fine, but then we had another done recently for some reason they didn't quite have enough "grab" and we were worried that on a reasonable length train they'd come undone.

The toolmaker has been examining the tool to see what the problem is, and will fettle of necessary. Once that's done we'll get the thing it as quickly as we can.

It's infuriating because everything else has been ready since before Warley, but this kind of unpredictable and yet routine issue constantly seems to dog or delay kits!!

Cheers,

Ben A.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello John,

My understanding is that the *missing* coupler pockets have finally been moulded accurately and will be in stock very soon; and as soon as they are, kit 54b - the timber carrier - kit will be made immediately available.

First mouldings of the pockets were rejected because the coupler pockets did not adequately "bite" the couplers. The reasons for this are a mystery as earlier batches were fine, however the toolmaker examined the tool and found that part of it had crept out of alignment and this had to be corrected.

Apologies for the delays but we are in the home stretch now, and I'd like to thank NGS members for their patience.

Kit 54a - the Rover "cube" van - is still being mastered by Bernard Taylor who is making steady, if slow, progress.

Cheers

Ben A.

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I know a few were waiting for these... the timber carrier versions (Kit 54b) have been launched this weekened at the York show and are now available from the NGS shop.

post-420-0-60592000-1398041354_thumb.jpg

They're priced as folloiws:

1 kit £15.55
3 kits £44.40
5 kits £70.00
10 kits £132.50

Just the thing behind those Colas 66s, 56s and soon, perhaps, 70s and 60s.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 3

Hi Ben,

Great news and well done on getting this to market at what seems a good price too.......

Please ensure Dave B has plenty of stock for Bristol Show at the start of May. I feel a purchase of approx 8 in the offing!!!

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

• Like 1

Hi Ben,

Yes great news that they've been released and looks like a top notch kit. Glad the hard work has paid off as I know you've put a lot of effort into the project.

Would you be able to confirm the overall length of a wagon please? A rake of 10 would look good - space permitting...

Agree that the price, particularly for multiple purchases, appears great value for money.

Regards

John

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Yes, I'm relieved this one is done but still very keen to see the original cube variant released too. We're just waiting for the mastering to be completed for the hood, then after test build to confirm all is well I can finish the 54a instructions and we can launch.

The dimensions are in post #1 but copied over:

Length over headstocks: Prototype: 21700, 1:148: 146.6, Model: 146.8

The buffers probably add 5 mm to this. I can't measure the model right now, but they're long vehicles - not far off the length of a Mk3 coach...

Cheers

Ben

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Just a quick update on progress with the NGS's latest kit, the original "cube" variant of the KSA wagon.

Bernard Taylor is making progress on producing the master as can be seen - the main body has been fabricated in plasticard and etched brass.

post-420-0-32751300-1411209901_thumb.jpg

There is still work to be done, and a fair amount of detail to be added, but the basic proportions and shape are there. The interior of the wagon also needs building up to make sure it's easy to mould. This kit is numbered 54a (Code NGSK0540) and will include one-piece plastic moulded bogies and etched details.

The prototype vans were built in the 1990s in Finland to carry Rover car spares between plants, and often hauled by pairs of Railfreight Distribution Class 47s.

After Rover traffic declined, a small number were acquired by Scottish logistics firm W H Malcolm and used on Anglo Scottish intermodal services, usually hauled

by DRS Class 37s or Class 66s.

In recent years some of the wagons have had the body removed and been converted to timber carriers; these are already available as NGS kit 54b (NGSK0541).

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 2

• 4 years later...