''New'' 4mm Bufferstops ''New''

davefrk

No Paul

The code number refers to the actual height of the rail used on the model track (in 1,000's of an inch, I think), not as a representation of the real thing (which would normally be 112lb per foot for most bullhead rail on main lines in 20th century, less for older track or lighter use, more for flatbottom, especially in the last 30 years). In 00, Code 100 is most commonly used to allow the flanges of older stock to run, but a more realistic (thinner) scale appearance is given by Code 80 or 75.

Regards

Mike

Bullhead is 95lb/yard; flat-bottom has varied from 75lb/yard, to the now-current 60kg/metre (121 lb/yard). The dimensions of model rail, to NMRA standards at least, is given here:-

http://www.nmra.org/standards/sandrp/rp-15_1.html

As Mike suggests, the Code is the overall rail height in thous/inch.

Sorry, yes Brian is right - flatbottom standardised at 112lb for many years, not bullhead for which the standard became 95lb, although early examples were far lighter than that. Some more recent bullhead (or less old) being re-used on the Southern and Western Regions/Routes for freight-only lines and sidings when I was in rail projects in the nineties/noughties, was marked 105(or108?)lb, but with the same profile, which was odd. Whereas 118 and 121 flatbottom is always deeper than 112. Turnouts were individually specified and built until relatively recently, when standard catalogue types became the norm. So "scale" track is almost impossible to guarantee, unless one has verification of the rail specs actually used at any given location in a particular period. If it looks right to you in model form, then......

Mike

Hi, The rail I used to make the masters varied between new C&L rail and very old SMP, all nominally code 75. Photographs showed various sections of rail mostly old worn out rail and I tried to replicate the variations, heavier looking rail for the verticals and very worn lighter rails for the diagonals.

As far as the next batch is concerned the kitchen is taking priority I'm afraid but I am still researching Scottish stops.

All the best,

Dave Franks

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, just an up-date on the buffer stops. The Midland ones are in the lead again after this weeks sales and I'm wondering just how many Midland layouts are getting built both here and 'Down Under'? Of course, some customers are buying MR stops for GER saying they're a close match. This I can't confirm yet.

The L&Y stops were in the lead for a couple of weeks with the SR type second but the Midland has made a firm push to the top again, well done fellow Midland devotees..... Does this sound like an election report?

One problem which was raised by a customer is the fact that with the timber beam SR and L&Y bufferstops which still had a stay rod across from one side to the other, (not all had them to the end according to photographic evidence). I have completely overlooked that the stay rod could short out between the sideframes, it's okay if you have fitted the recommended insulating fishplates and my test builds were tested after completion for insulation and passed. Was this a fluke? or was it because I had glued the stay rod in with epoxy. So, I'm in a quandary as to whether to put brass rod or plastic rod in the kits. The suggestion from a couple of people has been to ensure the rod ends have no burrs and to dip the rod ends in cyano glue, leave to harden and then glue the rod into the holes in the sideframes with epoxy. As I say not every bufferstop had stays and it seems to be that if the bufferbeam was timber and then was replaced with rail the rod was very often removed especially if new brackets were fitted.

The kitchen is going in slowly, had someone give me a right stinker of a cold at S4N which put me in bed for a few days with antibiotics to take and a talking to from the doctor about keeping away from these smitten people for my own health.....

Anyway, even more drawings, photos and suggestions have come in for new products which will be looked at and I'm very grateful to these people, they know who they are.

Onwards and upwards.

All the best,

Dave Franks.

Just what is it about the Midland buffer stops, that's even more away this week and I'm going to have to do another casting this weekend. I obviously under estimated what I needed to do last weekend.

SR modellers have pushed the SR buffer stops into second place this week with L&Y just squeezed into third.

People are still emailling asking when Scottish buffer stops will be appearing, we're working on it, Patience is a virtue.

Kitchen construction still ongoing but getting there.

Dave Franks.

• RMweb Gold

Just what is it about the Midland buffer stops, that's even more away this week and I'm going to have to do another casting this weekend. I obviously under estimated what I needed to do last weekend.

SR modellers have pushed the SR buffer stops into second place this week with L&Y just squeezed into third.

People are still emailling asking when Scottish buffer stops will be appearing, we're working on it, Patience is a virtue.

Kitchen construction still ongoing but getting there.

Dave Franks.

Just wait until you get the GW ones on the list (you'll need to have the kitchen finished before then ;) ).

• RMweb Gold

Just wait until you get the GW ones on the list (you'll need to have the kitchen finished before then ;) ).

When the kitchen is finished production will increase exponentially, lots more worktop available for casting machines, vices, tools and an expanded packing department.

Dave is just too good to us all.

Mike.

This GWR modeller recognises that "patience is a virtue" but, similar to many contributors on this thread, there are times when my virtue wears thin! Luckily I am a way off requiring my dozen for a period between the wars please.

When the kitchen is finished production will increase exponentially, lots more worktop available for casting machines, vices, tools and an expanded packing department.

Dave is just too good to us all.

Mike.

And do you think Fiona would allow such a thing to happen in her new kitchen. If you do you're a braver man than me.....

Dave.

Just placed an order for 10 L&Y ones. Thanks for producing these, it means I can lob my Peco ones in the spares bin now:)

And would you believe I've just been out to post them and then returned to catch up on Rmweb, spooky Eh!

Also I'd been showing SWMBO the buildings you are doing the other night - magic.

Thanks for the thanks. :declare:

Dave Franks

This GWR modeller recognises that "patience is a virtue" but, similar to many contributors on this thread, there are times when my virtue wears thin! Luckily I am a way off requiring my dozen for a period between the wars please.

Hi Gruffalo, I hope your patience is strong as it will be a wee while yet, the Scottish guys (or should that be guys and gals who model Scottish) are pushing for some CR, NB and HR stops so they are next. Been out photo-ing and measuring to check the info already gathered and discovered a number of variants of standard designs. An LNER one is also needed for a layout which is going out in June and I've sort of 'promised ', isn't that right Mike.

Kitchen project still ongoing as new ideas are being implemented, false ceiling, flush lighting, audio visual wiring (TV, Hi Fi). This is all to earn 'brownie points' towards the layout.

Hope you all understand. :paint:

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Oh no, looks like my wallet is going to pass out soon if the HR ones are coming on line! I suppose I had better work out how many I need........

Andy G

An LNER one is also needed for a layout which is going out in June and I've sort of 'promised ', isn't that right Mike.

Thanks for remembering Dave, but you can stand down on that one for a couple of months and get Fiona's kitchen ready to be signed off. The exhibition manager has managed to get all the layouts sorted for this year and I am only required to demonstrate....

Mike

An LNER one is also needed for a layout which is going out in June and I've sort of 'promised ', isn't that right Mike.

Thanks for remembering Dave, but you can stand down on that one for a couple of months and get Fiona's kitchen ready to be signed off. The exhibition manager has managed to get all the layouts sorted for this year and I am only required to demonstrate....

Mike

Hi Mike, thanks for that, it's a load off my mind but I will do them as I've got a few people pre-ordering them.

ATB,

Dave Franks

Dave.

I will be needing 7 Caledonian ones when they are available.

Andy.

Hi Andy, your post is noted but does that mean you want 14 now as I think you've already asked for 7.... :no:  :boast:

All the best,

Dave Franks

Hi Andy, your post is noted but does that mean you want 14 now as I think you've already asked for 7.... :no:  :boast:

All the best,

Dave Franks

Sorry Dave.

Another senior moment!!

Only seven altogether at the moment, until I plan and build another layout.

Andy.

Sorry Dave.

Another senior moment!!

Only seven altogether at the moment, until I plan and build another layout.

Andy.

That's alright Andy, I'm only taking the wee wee. :jester:

Work has started on the Caley bufferstops but still more to do in the kitchen.

Dave Franks

The continuing 'Battle of the Bufferstops' sees the Midland Railway leaping away again this past couple of weeks with twice as many Midland as any other railway bufferstops getting posted out, I'm amazed there's so many Midland/LMS/LMR layouts getting built. Just wish 'Wharfeside' was progressing as well as all these other railways, hey ho. 

Dave Franks.

Work has started on the Caley bufferstops but still more to do in the kitchen.

Dave Franks

Thats rather good news, they are going to be required sooner rather than later for the new build due to an impending deadline being set! Credit card takes another hit!

Hi all, just re-read the very first post and I'm surprised to see 28 'likes'. I presume they're not for me but for the bufferstops but thanks anyway. (Please Mike no catty comments).

The Midland stops are still very much in the lead with more going out in the last few days although this morning the L&Y have moved up into second place above the Southern Railway. All these railways being built, the hobby must be in a better state than everyone realises.

All the best and thanks for your votes of confidence. :good:    :dancer:  :dancer:  :dancer:  :dance:  :D

Dave Franks

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, just a wee teaser for all you Caledonian Railway modellers. The masters are done for the first Caley buffer stop, which, as the drawing from the Caley Association says is the Caledonian 'Ordinary type'. This stop had 2/3rds of it's structure underground with a panel of track and lines of timber over three feet down, wouldn't want to hit that too hard, eh. Should be available in a week or two depending on how well the mould goes. The frames of the stop are outside and not connected to the running rails, something I had not realised until I started looking seriously at buffer stops.

The second type will be the more modern 'surface type' and the masters are nearly finished for this one so should be out a week or so later'.

Here are a couple of pictures of the first one, held together with Bluetack....

post-10324-0-31180500-1370713999.jpg

And the rear view.

post-10324-0-36776900-1370714017.jpg

Hope that wets some appetites.

Dave Franks

Archived