Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Layout's you've planned, dreamed about but never built?

Been wondering if anyone has a list of "I'd love to build that one day" layouts that they've never managed to start on.

I'm not meaning seeing a station somewhere and just thinking "that would make a good model" more the ideas you keep coming back to but don't have space for or don't fit what you want from a layout.

For me, I've had Lakeside (on Windermere) on the back burner for 10 years now, someone kindly laid it out in templot and asks how it's coming along each time we see each other, but when I had the space I didn't have the time and money, now I might have the space I don't have the time or the money!

I'm also leaning more towards wanting continuous running which dissuades me from a terminus station.

Somewhere on here there is my plan for Milliedale Bridge Street, a mill town in the late 1940's still under LMS / British railways not gotten round to re-painting yet which I do have space for, but can't decide exactly how it's going to work and I'm wondering if it's got too many compromises on.

Another idea that I've been toying with is to build a freelance location based on a resort town such as Scarborough bringing the railway a bit nearer to the sea front with the town above the promenade, but this would be a terminus again, and I'd like to do it based in the 50's but I've got 12 of the new graham farish coaches which seems a waste of money to sell at less than I paid in order to buy crimson and cream ones.

Ah, well, need time and money, both of which are being used in the renovation of our house, and the space used as storage.

anyone else have a couple of layout ideas that haven't reached fruition?

• RMweb Premium

I first attempted A layout of my station, about 1969 not completed, moved House, second attempt not completed moved house / left parents  home. twenty moves later (yes ex military)

third attempt, started building shed for it over three years ago, the first length of track should be laid this year.

The Q

Moretonhampstead, as if the branch from Heathfield had been preserved. A twist on the GWR BLT. I spend a lot of time in the town and have taken a lot of inspiration from the South Devon Railway.

I plan to model the station as accurately as possible but add a larger shed and workshop. My ideas for how it would be operated have been drawn from what I have seen at the SDR.

I'm a Southern man, but since having the idea about 3 years ago, I've collected a lot of stock that I feel would be appropriate and invested in all the books that I can find about the line. The reason nothing has gone ahead as I'm a student and will be for at least 2 and a half more years. I expect to get my loan cut from September too!

• RMweb Premium

I'm dreaming of the day when I can make Ballinluig on the HR mainline come into being.

Was flicking through some RM's from the 80's and came across the Westoe Colliery Electric system, which has got build me written all over it.

Then there is this place (Littleport) which would make a good 'do you want to be a signaller?' punter operated layout on the exhibition circuit.....

Sadly theres just not enough hours in the day!

Andy G

I've already started my research in order to build a model of Blisworth station (http://www.blisworth.org.uk/images/Rails.htm) in Northamptonshire at some point in the future. The model will be based on the 1950/60's era and already I have a collection of images and a plan of the station and trackwork. I have read and stored as much online information as I have managed to find so far and have also acquired a copy of 'Branch Lines Around Towcester' from Middleton Press to gain as much info on the Stratford-upon-Avon & Midland Junction Railway operations as this line terminated at Blisworth.

I've only really just started on Charwelton so the Blisworth project will be a few years down the line yet!

Hector

I keep coming back to the idea of an ECML layout based on the approaches to York - with the high-speed junction at one end, and Holgate bridge at the other.  Modern image N-gauge, but with the Escrick branch still in use as a commuter line.  I've got plenty of stock for it, just not the room :(  But now I've been tempted into something steamy and scottish...

Came up with one based on Reading low-level goods yard some years ago, which I was tempted by but decided against owing to the lack of passenger workings (although the main line featured, there was no space for a fiddle yard on either end). Ironically some years later I wound up involved in an abortive attempt to restore one of the Huntley & Palmers locos which used the yard!

Have done various sketches over the years relating to Reading (too big!), West Wales/Pembrokeshire (ditto, but not quite as big), and even Jenbach (Austria), but my all-time favourite pipe dream was getting the entire Ffestiniog Railway into a standard garage in 009!

A couple??

Go on then!

Something 4mm, probably fiddle to fiddle based upon South Witham in Lincolnshire with the premise the line (the old M&GN) had stayed open until the 1980's.

British H0 set twenty plus years in the future based upon HS3 (at least!) with both a classic electrified GW main-line and the high speed line in the Taunton area.

There's a long list of others that never made it off the drawing board or even out of my head but that would get boring!

Cheers,

John E.

• RMweb Premium

If I can get my main design/creative computer back up and running (it has Templot on it) then I'm going to be doing a plan of Parkstone (in Dorset). It won't be just the station though, but both the bank before and after as well. I think it would make a stunning exhibition layout, and large too, probably around 80-90 feet long, so only for the biggest exhibition halls! :)

Guest Natalie Graham

Sprouston on the NER Kelso branch. Somehwre I have the plan drawn out full size for 3mm scale 14.2mm gauge and a couple of nearly finished locos and some part built carriages but it never got any further.

Always fancied doing a section of the Abergavenny - Myrthyr Tydfil line in the Clydach Gorge. Inspired by seeing the arches sticking out of the cliff face when driving up to the Heads of the Valleys road in the 1970's. Tortuous curves, ferocious gradient, biggish loco's on shortish trains, what more could you ask for ?  Got as far as a few preliminary sketches. Even planned it as a what if it stayed open so JZjr would be involved in a two period arrangement. ATW units and FLHH/EWS 66s on coal trains. But, alas, no space or time to build it. Yet. Would have been/will be for exhibition.

In time my partner and I want to move to Norfolk and are looking for a plot to do a self build house.

IF (that's a big "if", but tomorrow's another day) the plot's big enough, once the house is finished I'll build a big shed and a friend has the plans for Liverpool Street in the 50's..............

To run the layout prototypically at rush hour we reckon it would need at least 10 operators but we've not done anymore than pipe dream at the moment. Just imagine operating the 4 minute turn round for the Jazz sets! If it comes to reality (another big "if"!) Retford and Liverpool Lime Street, watch out!!! :no:

PGC

• RMweb Premium

In time my partner and I want to move to Norfolk and are looking for a plot to do a self build house.

IF (that's a big "if", but tomorrow's another day) the plot's big enough, once the house is finished I'll build a big shed and a friend has the plans for Liverpool Street in the 50's..............

To run the layout prototypically at rush hour we reckon it would need at least 10 operators but we've not done anymore than pipe dream at the moment. Just imagine operating the 4 minute turn round for the Jazz sets! If it comes to reality (another big "if"!) Retford and Liverpool Lime Street, watch out!!! :no:

PGC

If you end up in West norfolk, drop me a line, I'm daft enough to be an operator for you!

Andy G

Several ideas which I've been working on for at least a decade that I keep coming back to...

Southern Pacific Coast Line, based on Guadalupe and the Santa Maria Valley shortline.  This one is so well planned, I could build it tomorrow if I had the space.  I even have stock stashed away for it, so I suppose this one is 'in the lead'.

A steam shed based on Carnforth - fully planned out, again I could build it tomorrow.  I'm sorely tempted to buy the Bachmann coaler etc 'just in case'.

A Scottish BLT, banger blue era, accurate rendition of Thurso.

A model of Wirksworth, also banger blue, also accurate.

and my magnum opus, an accurate model of Cheltenham St James.  

This last one is as fully planned as Guadalupe.  I've compiled my own 'book' over the years plotting out how to build it, including track, buildings, signalling, timetable, stock etc etc

These have been with me for years, but additionally I have literally hundreds of schemes in all scales, eras and countries including UK, USA, Germany, France and China!

• RMweb Premium

Many years ago now I tentatively did a little bit of mock up work on a potential N scale model of the long abandoned King William Street Underground Station but brought up to date as it would appear today:

post-6910-0-38554700-1362786663.jpg

post-6910-0-61462800-1362786664.jpg

post-6910-0-36770000-1362786666.jpg

I managed to use computer graphics to represent the tiling which is visible on archive photographs and then added the modern elements on to it but in the end it was a tentative experiment scratch built from old cardboard tubes and various other bits I had lying around the place.

I think it is still sitting somewhere back at my parents place gathering dust.  I may rescue it one day and see if it can't be advanced further.

Sleaford in a form which could represent the 1950s to the 1980s - Whitemoor freights, Scunthorpe ore trains, ECML diversions - I keep collecting reference photos and suitable stock so it may yet get built. March would be my ideal but that one would be just a step too far.

• RMweb Gold

I dream of building all the key stations on the ex LSWR lines west of Exeter.

It would have fitted in thebokd warehouse that used to be next door.

I have enough Bullied light pacifics to pull the trains but jow just need the space to build the layout.

Just done my lottery tickets so I can kerp dreaming!

From this thread -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/52572-why-is-this-so-rarely-modelled/page-9

I had plans to build a layout set in the summer of '68 a few years ago. Really wanting to portary an accurate balance between steam and diesel motive power as some books (as they focus on the last of steam) give the impression that steam was everywhere in the north west until mid August whereas the change wasn't quite like that...

I have a plan of my idea somewhere - it would have been set somewhere between Skipton and Carnforth and modelled in P4. I started various items for it; a pair of Lima 47s were started and were to feature Protot 1000 PA-1 mechanisms, one, even was painted (and maybe appeared on an earlier RMweb...), a Class 40 was finished (D348 which I subsequently sold following some persuassion), a Bachmann 08 is now ready for BR Blue and a TOPS number, various Hornby and Bachmann Class 25 parts, a rake's worth of Kitmaster Mark 1s sit in the cupboard, I have bits ready for a Standard 4MT and Stanier 8Fs and a pile of wagon kits!

Not long afterwards I got invovled with Botanic Gardens and concentrated on that. It's a project theme I'd like to revists at some point, so we'll see...

I would like to revisit the theme at some point but there are other projects ahead of it in the queue :)

• RMweb Premium

Then you need this book from the Oakwood Press - it will do nothing to put you off ;)

No, don't do things like that, I have to try to resist, I have the try to resist!

I've got so many irons in the fire that I have s*d all time to even decide what to do next!

Andy g

Archived