Bachmann announcements 2013/4

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I  suspect Bachmann doesnt need a wish list for a few years and is maybe keeping an eye on some of the seeds it has already sown.

The SECR 'C' 0-6-0 appears to be a hot seller. What more natural than a SECR 'H' 0-4-4T follow-up.

Same if the Lanky 2-4-2T sells well, an 'A' class LYR 0-6-0 would be a natural follow-up.

The Deeley 3F and the 4F......Next a 2F?

Compound 4-4-0......A 2P 4-4-0 next?

Stanier 2-6-0.......A Fowler 3P 2-6-2T push & pull version/standard version/Condenser fitted version to follow?

BR Ivatt 2-6-0......A BR tank and tender version to follow?

'Birdcage' SECR stock........A LSWR 'shortie' push & pull set next?

I do sense a sort of leaning in a particular geographical direction in that (skillfully disguised wish)list. :jester:  

The interesting bit is working out which ones would never have been seen at Greenfield or which loco that could have been seen there would be an easy(ish) next step to develop from an SECR 'H'  ;)

I do sense a sort of leaning in a particular geographical direction in that (skillfully disguised wish)list. :jester:  

The interesting bit is working out which ones would never have been seen at Greenfield or which loco that could have been seen there would be an easy(ish) next step to develop from an SECR 'H'   ;)

Heck, such thoughts never entered me cranium. I could only work with what is already there though. :biggrin_mini2:

100 (exGER E4's) existed in 1922, still plenty around until the mid '50s, and 62785 was withdrawn in 1959 for national preservation.

Indeed so, but courtesy of the old Stephen Poole kit and a lot of whittling that little delight has been mine for four decades. First loco kit for which I built the chassis, and a pig it was too. Modern can motors and gearboxes eventually came to the rescue.

Indeed so, but courtesy of the old Stephen Poole kit and a lot of whittling that little delight has been mine for four decades. First loco kit for which I built the chassis, and a pig it was too. Modern can motors and gearboxes eventually came to the rescue.

Might need some help here, I have same! (Unless in October we get the next NRM release?).

cheers,

Peter C.

• RMweb Gold

Small black locos, an extensive range of numerous and long lived items of rolling stock; and am now earnestly in pursuit of any evidence that an E4 got North of the river.

Unable to be helpful there. Bradley (Vol 3) reports no great use on freight duties, and they were really a bit breathless on longer runs with passenger trains, so crossing the Thames - other than Grosvenor Bridge! - was probably not their job. No 2500, ex 500 "Puttenham", was tried at Reading, probably early in WW2, but the long coupled-wheelbase did not work well with some tight curves in sidings there, so it was sent away. Amusing (to the SR contingent, at least) is the fact that when the ex-GWR shed at Salisbury closed in November 1950, 32506, ex 506 "Catherington", was sent to Salisbury to shunt Fisherton Yard, much to the dismay of the ex-GWR locomen, who demanded their 57xx back. Nothing doing, and 32486, ex 486 "Godalming" was sent there as well.

Now, if only they'd plant a seed of North Eastern or Great Eastern origin...

Not in my lifetime alas. Modern? No they hate OHLE. Old? No rtr guy seems to understand the importance of the J15 (most numerous loco class in LNER at 1923). Etc., etc.

Best, Pete.

No rtr guy seems to understand the importance of the J15

If enough people vote for it in the wishlists each year, they may start to pay attention. Who knows, they may already have, with a view to an announcement next year or the year after.

It's certainly going to be on my voting list for this year, anyway.

What is particularly strange about the GER territory situation is how well it is now catered for in the steam to diesel transition period for LNER and later loco stock: B1, B12/3, (for all it is a weird and wonderful compromise) B17, J39, K3, L1, O1, O2 announced, O4, WD, Ivatt 4MT, Britannia, Derby lightweight DMU, Railcars announced, classes 15, 16, 20, 30, 31, 37, 40. But none of the GER character items available, of which the  D16, F whatever J15, J67 - 69, N7, would head my list of 'very desireable'.

• RMweb Gold

When the Blue Pullman was announced  - fulfilling the most sustained Iwanna campaign in UK model railway in recent years -  the passing thought I had was 'what next?.

As an aside I will freely admit to a more than passing interest in what might be called the 'conversion rate'. Of all those who sat around their invocation pentangles or whatever, and chanted 'Blue Pullman' how many actually went through with the purchase? (This naturally applies to all past and present wish-listery fulfillment, not just those obsessed with the Midland special Bogcart.) The only evidence we have is that the manufacturers do seem to be picking off the top end of the wishlist, which rather argues that they do get the requisite sales.

Whatever, unless I am sadly mistaken (and that will lead to swift correction from those believing themselves possessed of ultra-sensitive digits for sensing the beat) there is no candidate item surging up to the top of the 'Iwanna' board with a chorus of support drowning out all competing claims. Is there? So that leaves manufacturers to make their decisions on the next 'blown away' item based on their feeling for the market.

Personally, I am impressed (too overweight to be blown away) with another good cross-section of bread and butter items. Small black locos, an extensive range of numerous and long lived items of rolling stock; and am now earnestly in pursuit of any evidence that an E4 got North of the river.

Bachmann have certainly grabbed a hefty chunk of last year's top 50:

Mk2F coaches, TPO stowage van, Grain hopper, Warflat, Stanier Mogul, 64xx pannier and the Birdcage coaches. The BR CCT is a surprising omission, especially since they are doing it in N.

However, the E4 was picked despite neither it nor it's LNER namesake featuring on the wishlist at all (it was my 'Bluebell' guess beforehand too, so I'm no more logical).

There were several other locos with Bluebell Railway connections that polled heavily to choose from: S.15, Adams Radial, Q, Brighton Atlantic, H and U. Either of the last two would, perhaps, make more logical partners for the Birdcages.

I wonder, are there a lot of other 0-6-2 tanks that can use the same basic chassis in the same way the 7F derives from the ROD?  

Hornby: Just the 'Duke of Gloucester' and 'Cock o' the North'. Both were highly placed but I still think the choice of two one-offs in the same year has a hint of "Thank you and goodnight" about it.

Hitting the top LMS spot worked for the Stanier mogul but not for the GWR 47xx, SR S.15 or LNER K.1 in their respective categories and there is no new DMU at all. Maybe this leaves an opening for Heljan to announce their first more-than-one-car unit later in the year!

John

Possibly one of the issues is just how diverse the LNER (incl. GER and NE) really was.

Growing up on the GER mainline in Shenfield I never saw any DMU's, WD's etc., I saw a lot of B17's, and Brits every day but what I mostly saw were the 1,500 DC EMU's (and later conversions - our line was "electrified" very early on), 37's and 31's by the ton. Move to the North and it was different again.

Best, Pete.

• RMweb Gold

I wonder, are there a lot of other 0-6-2 tanks that can use the same basic chassis in the same way the 7F derives from the ROD?  

Yes - Billinton's E3 (16 examples, 4'6" wheels), E5 (30 ex, 5'6"), & E6 (12 ex, 4'6"). Great idea!

When the Blue Pullman was announced  - fulfilling the most sustained Iwanna campaign in UK model railway in recent years -  the passing thought I had was 'what next?.

As an aside I will freely admit to a more than passing interest in what might be called the 'conversion rate'. Of all those who sat around their invocation pentangles or whatever, and chanted 'Blue Pullman' how many actually went through with the purchase? (This naturally applies to all past and present wish-listery fulfillment, not just those obsessed with the Midland special Bogcart.) The only evidence we have is that the manufacturers do seem to be picking off the top end of the wishlist, which rather argues that they do get the requisite sales.

Whatever, unless I am sadly mistaken (and that will lead to swift correction from those believing themselves possessed of ultra-sensitive digits for sensing the beat) there is no candidate item surging up to the top of the 'Iwanna' board with a chorus of support drowning out all competing claims. Is there? So that leaves manufacturers to make their decisions on the next 'blown away' item based on their feeling for the market.

Personally, I am impressed (too overweight to be blown away) with another good cross-section of bread and butter items. Small black locos, an extensive range of numerous and long lived items of rolling stock; and am now earnestly in pursuit of any evidence that an E4 got North of the river.

Bluebell's E4 went to the Severn Valley Railway Branch Line Gala on March 12 -13 2005 as 32473 in BR lined black livery with the cycling lion crest.

I think the J15 would be a good impulse buy - they looked far more old-fashioned than they were - really cute, in a way that most RTR locos aren't!

Cue the J21.... (which I think looks better and was better than J15 - no surprise there though!)

The J15 had half its fleet withdrawn by nationalisation. J21s were down from 120 ish to 83, which is heading towards the same territory. Q6 had its entire fleet reach Nationalisation. So given that they were all running around, you'd think you'd need a few to model it accurately, meaning repeat sales. Hopefully Bachmann might notice that trend too, but perhaps the main issue is still whether apart from the top link and LNER standard go anywhere designs, are the pregrouping designs we all crave still too regional?

What is particularly strange about the GER territory situation is how well it is now catered for in the steam to diesel transition period for LNER and later loco stock: B1, B12/3, (for all it is a weird and wonderful compromise) B17, J39, K3, L1, O1, O2 announced, O4, WD, Ivatt 4MT, Britannia, Derby lightweight DMU, Railcars announced, classes 15, 16, 20, 30, 31, 37, 40. But none of the GER character items available, of which the D16, F whatever J15, J67 - 69, N7, would head my list of 'very desireable'.

Its the same further north.

On the steam front you have A1, A2, A3, A4, B1, V2, L1, O1 (not many admitadly), J39, WD 2-8-0 and even engines from other areas, Ivatt 2, Ivatt 4, Fairburn tank, BR 3MT and I have ALL of them. You just need Q6, K1, J21, G5, J27.

Diesel's you have, 08, 20, 24, 25, 31, 37, 47, 55. Meaning pretty much the transition diesels are done.

Units would be the forthcoming 101, Derby lightweight, etc.

Theres also stock, wagons... even buildings by TMC and Bachmann and Hornby. You only need NER steam models and the whole lot is there.

• RMweb Premium

Possibly one of the issues is just how diverse the LNER (incl. GER and NE) really was.

Growing up on the GER mainline in Shenfield I never saw any DMU's, WD's etc., I saw a lot of B17's, and Brits every day but what I mostly saw were the 1,500 DC EMU's (and later conversions - our line was "electrified" very early on), 37's and 31's by the ton. Move to the North and it was different again.

Best, Pete.

Hummmm, a RTR slippery door unit (class 306). The thought of it makes me weak at the knees........By the time someone does one I will be on the waiting list for replacement knees, if still alive. Overhead EMUs from any era seem to have been forgotten by all manufacturers, despite the millions who travelled on them.

Cue the J21.... (which I think looks better and was better than J15 - no surprise there though!)

The J15 had half its fleet withdrawn by nationalisation. J21s were down from 120 ish to 83, which is heading towards the same territory. Q6 had its entire fleet reach Nationalisation. So given that they were all running around, you'd think you'd need a few to model it accurately, meaning repeat sales. Hopefully Bachmann might notice that trend too, but perhaps the main issue is still whether apart from the top link and LNER standard go anywhere designs, are the pregrouping designs we all crave still too regional?Its the same further north.

On the steam front you have A1, A2, A3, A4, B1, V2, L1, O1 (not many admitadly), J39, WD 2-8-0 and even engines from other areas, Ivatt 2, Ivatt 4, Fairburn tank, BR 3MT and I have ALL of them. You just need Q6, K1, J21, G5, J27.

Diesel's you have, 08, 20, 24, 25, 31, 37, 47, 55. Meaning pretty much the transition diesels are done.

Units would be the forthcoming 101, Derby lightweight, etc.

Theres also stock, wagons... even buildings by TMC and Bachmann and Hornby. You only need NER steam models and the whole lot is there.

Agreed though the Thompson pacifics are missing and V2 looks nothing like a V2. But the list is becoming impressive!

Agreed though the Thompson pacifics are missing and V2 looks nothing like a V2. But the list is becoming impressive!

Yeah its an impressive list, when you consider how many of them are already made by Bachmann! Forgot the J72 (how could I!!) and V1/3 too....

So imagine how much Ive already spent on Bachmann stuff!!

an 'A' class LYR 0-6-0 would be a natural follow-up.

I think this may be a bit of an awkard one a RTR manufacturer in the case of getting the motor/gearbox hidden. if it is done I would think it might have some gearbox visible like the Hornby 8f.

I wonder what the size of it is like in comparison to the other 0-6-0s in their range?

as Ive said, I would be surprised if they dont release a Standard class 2, 2-6-0 and 2-6-2t in the future, along with a crosti/ex crosti 9f as they have the chassis already for these.

But none of the GER character items available, of which the  D16, F whatever J15, J67 - 69, N7, would head my list of 'very desireable'.

Completely agree with you; when we were invited to approach Simon Kohler directly, one of my two pitches was for the D16 (the archetypal GER loco which also ended up on the CLC lines for a while, as well as appearing not infrequently in the East Midlands). And it's in pretty colours, too. And 4-4-0s generally seem to me to be a bit under-represented. And, besides, I want one*.

Paul

* Actually, I want rather more than one.

• RMweb Gold

I would be surprised if they dont release a Standard class 2, 2-6-0 and 2-6-2t in the future, along with a crosti/ex crosti 9f as they have the chassis already for these.

I am amazed that Hornby haven't taken on the Crosti, if only to get more use out of the loco drive chassis under their Railroad-only 9F.

John

What is particularly strange about the GER territory situation is how well it is now catered for in the steam to diesel transition period for LNER and later loco stock: B1, B12/3, (for all it is a weird and wonderful compromise) B17, J39, K3, L1, O1, O2 announced, O4, WD, Ivatt 4MT, Britannia, Derby lightweight DMU, Railcars announced, classes 15, 16, 20, 30, 31, 37, 40. But none of the GER character items available, of which the  D16, F whatever J15, J67 - 69, N7, would head my list of 'very desireable'.

Although as you say L1, J39, Britannias classes etc were part of the East Anglia scene, even towards the end of steam in East Anglia a high content of GER classes is required to give the correct historical balance.

An East Anglian "steam era" layout without  a high proportion of J15, J19, J17, J69, D16 and B12, doesn't reflect the railway as it was and I must confess I also have a high contect of locos, such as a Clan which yes ran on the GE but only one member of the class and for only a very short time!

In 1955 at Stratford (30A) out of an allocation of 359 locomotive, 68% were GER, 19% LNER, 6% BR, 5% GNR and 2% LMS (off LTSR).This high percentage of GE locos was also reflected at the other two large GE depots of Cambridge and Norwich.

Paul

Archived