Bachmann announcements 2013/4

Andy Y

Tender pick-ups shows that Bachmann do listen. I hope they also reduce the glare of their orange lining on BR green engines. As regards a NER J27, while it is understandable that folk should want it because one is restored and younger modellers might asume it is also a pasenger engine because of its main duties in preservation, they were in fact a freight loco in steam days. I think I am correct in thinking the J21 was the mixed traffic 0-6-0 on the North Eastern.

Yes. Hence my usual call for a Q6 and J21, rather than J27. Here's one at work in Weardale and another at Derwent.

post-7347-0-18292000-1363101892.jpg

post-7347-0-57955700-1363102247.jpg

If you did the Q6, J21 and BR standard 2MT it would pretty much cover everywhere from Berwick to York. J27s were around too you would hope they followed as per the Midland regions development with Bachmann. Fingers crossed for next year...

Altogether a promising and adventurous program I thought.  A bit surprising really, I for one was expecting a rather more conservative approach considering the current economic climate.

I suspect they may have seen Hornby's problems over the past couple of years and have decided to step up their game while the opportunity is there.  Let's hope this just spurs Hornby on to fight back with whatever they can salvage and develop from their current weak position.  Competition is healthy but Hornby going to the wall would do none of us any good in the longer term.

That said I think Bachmann should be congratulated for a well spread and ambitious programme.  I think the 18 months spread of deliveries can now be seen as a sensible move on their part [plus it may give me extra time to save all the pennies I'm going to need!]

Well our glorious Prime Minister and his mate keep telling us we have to work our way back to healthier fortunes, so Bachmann are merely continuing their proven policy.

Yet more "mundane", and that is what modellers want. A shunters truck might be nice, but you don't see a yard full of the blighters do you ? A rake of "Tubes" or "Pipes" or "Grains" however as well as couple of "Stanier crabs" and a 64xx pannier. Not sure it is ambitious Adams442T, merely a balanced approach with a nod to the perennial wishlists I'd say. Perhaps the "Design Clever" team might wish to take note ?

Hmmm

38-279 MSV tippler - not a new moulding however a "proper" vacuum braked version of the previous unfitted ones will require an 8-shoe clasp VB chassis rather than the 4-shoe Morton chassis of the unfitted ones.............now than would be nice - a BR 8-shoe fitted chassis

Too soon to know for sure - have e-mailed Bachmann and pleaded with them to not just fudge this wagon with a fitted 4-shoe chassis

However, weren't all the vac-fitted tipplers (both 'built-as' and conversions)built with a lower body than the 27t unfitted wagons that both Hornby and Bachmann currently manufacture?

...A shunters truck might be nice, but you don't see a yard full of the blighters do you ?...

My thought exactly, but they did make 298 of them between 1895 and early BR days, so maybe there was a strategic reserve somewhere? :scratchhead:

Nick

However, weren't all the vac-fitted tipplers (both 'built-as' and conversions)built with a lower body than the 27t unfitted wagons that both Hornby and Bachmann currently manufacture?

Yes - I'd overlooked that small issue :banghead:  - back to occasional builds of Parksides' very nice kit then :sungum: ............

Yes. Hence my usual call for a Q6 and J21, rather than J27. Here's one at work in Weardale and another at Derwent.

attachicon.gifharp1950.jpg

attachicon.gifDerwent_6.jpg

If you did the Q6, J21 and BR standard 2MT it would pretty much cover everywhere from Berwick to York. J27s were around too you would hope they followed as per the Midland regions development with Bachmann. Fingers crossed for next year...

Dave Alexander does some lovely kits for the J21, J27 and the Q6 - NER modellers are very well catered for kit wise and, unlike some railways/areas, we have brand new kits appearing which are perfect for our needs.

• RMweb Gold

My thought exactly, but they did make 298 of them between 1895 and early BR days, so maybe there was a strategic reserve somewhere? :scratchhead:

Nick

No, just a lot of medium sized goods yards with just one coupled to the pilot loco, and maybe up to three or four in the really big yards. Most small yards weren't busy enough to need one.

By the time I saw any, their main purpose was to make short locos work track circuits better.

I do have a couple of queries about how they were used, though.

• Were they used with station pilots in some places and, if so during what period(s)?
  • Did they remain in 'their' yard at the end of the day's work or go back to the local shed with the pilot loco?

John

I suspect they may have seen Hornby's problems over the past couple of years and have decided to step up their game while the opportunity is there.  Let's hope this just spurs Hornby on to fight back with whatever they can salvage and develop from their current weak position.  Competition is healthy but Hornby going to the wall would do none of us any good in the longer term.

That said I think Bachmann should be congratulated for a well spread and ambitious programme.  I think the 18 months spread of deliveries can now be seen as a sensible move on their part [plus it may give me extra time to save all the pennies I'm going to need!]

However one could say that while Bachmann and Dapol are concentrating on the high detail end of the market, Hornby are concentrating on the other end. The level of detail that the eye will be fooled into seeing on the new DoG and P2 will be interesting. At the same time, Hornby can do high detail when they put their mind to it...

One thing I do have to ask about is the new Class 42 that's been advertised.

32-062 Class 42 Warship Diesel Hydraulic No.810 (Cockade) BR Blue Weathered

The prices I've seen advertised for this appear more in line with the all new class 43 than the older Mainline Class 42, almost £25 in one case. Is this a hint at something or just a mix up in the pricing somewhere?

No, just a lot of medium sized goods yards with just one coupled to the pilot loco, and maybe up to three or four in the really big yards. Most small yards weren't busy enough to need one.

Sometimes I wonder how many smileys you need before some folk realise that you are not being entirely serious :no:

I notice that Bachmann are prodcing the shunters' trucks labelled for the well-known medium sized yards at Canons Marsh, Newton Abbott, Old Oak Common, Swindon Loco, and Margam. It would, though, be interesting to know which of the lesser yards had them. Though there are some that I know nothing about, most of the allocations listed in Atkins et al. look rather on the large side to me.

Nick

• RMweb Gold

One thing I do have to ask about is the new Class 42 that's been advertised.

The prices I've seen advertised for this appear more in line with the all new class 43 than the older Mainline Class 42, almost £25 in one case. Is this a hint at something or just a mix up in the pricing somewhere?

It can be misleading if you compare discounters pricing as they often apply different reductions to similar models.

Also, having had both, the Bachmann 42 only looks like the Mainline one, it is a much superior beast under the skin and the body has had improvements too.

Prices on Bachmann's site are: Cl.42 'Hermes' £79.95, Cl.42 'Cockade' (weathered) £94.95, Class 43s £89.95.

Presumably, the extra is down to the weathered finish.

John

Guest Tom F

Dave Alexander does some lovely kits for the J21, J27 and the Q6 - NER modellers are very well catered for kit wise and, unlike some railways/areas, we have brand new kits appearing which are perfect for our needs.

Very much in agreement. I'm looking forward to tackling a Dave Alexander Q6 and J27 at some point.

Doesn't do much for these kit manufacturers if the majority of there kits all appear RTR.

NER modellers don't have much to moan about to be honest when you look at the good quality kits available, Q5, Q6, Q7, J21, J24, J25 J26,J26, J77, B16/1/2/3, G5, A6..... and there is more.

On the other hand an accurate V2 (apart from the Finney kit) is hard to find in RTR and in kit form!

It can be misleading if you compare discounters pricing as they often apply different reductions to similar models.

Also, having had both, the Bachmann 42 only looks like the Mainline one, it is a much superior beast under the skin and the body has had improvements too.

Prices on Bachmann's site are: Cl.42 'Hermes' £79.95, Cl.42 'Cockade' (weathered) £94.95, Class 43s £89.95.

Presumably, the extra is down to the weathered finish.

John

That's what I thought, but didn't think that a factory weathering job would add so much extra! Guess I'm wrong...

• RMweb Gold

Sometimes I wonder how many smileys you need before some folk realise that you are not being entirely serious :no:

I notice that Bachmann are prodcing the shunters' trucks labelled for the well-known medium sized yards at Canons Marsh, Newton Abbott, Old Oak Common, Swindon Loco, and Margam. It would, though, be interesting to know which of the lesser yards had them. Though there are some that I know nothing about, most of the allocations listed in Atkins et al. look rather on the large side to me.

Nick

Sorry! The web page has been bouncing around a bit today and I didn't notice it.

John

That's what I thought, but didn't think that a factory weathering job would add so much extra! Guess I'm wrong...

...unless they are changing the body to accurately represent the D803-12 batch. Somehow I doubt it. They have a body which depicts locos from D813 onwards but keep turning it out as earlier examples. I hope they don't make similar errors with the new class 43.

Geoff Endacott

Nick

Pembrey Yard had one, into the 1980s, whilst I believe Swansea Hafod (the goods depot near High Street) also kept one until it closed. Neither was a particularly large yard.

And very good they are too, I have built a few of them and rate them most highly. It does make you wonder how other NER area modellers have already built up enough of these stalwarts not to need too many more in the form of RTR though. Maybe Bachmann have researched this - anyone been accosted by someone with a clipboard at shows asking these sort of questions?

If I were Bachmann I think I would be planning a family of Scottish pre-grouping types, complete with some appropriate buildings and infrastructure via Scenecraft.

ER modellers don't have much to moan about to be honest when you look at the good quality kits available, Q5, Q6, Q7, J21, J24, J25 J26,J26, J77, B16/1/2/3, G5, A6..... and there is more.

Perhaps this represents the level of demand?

Guest Tom F

Perhaps this represents the level of demand?

Quite possibly, but it shows there is a clear alternative to RTR....and you learn some modelling skills in the process. I'm finding Dave Alexander's kits a great starting point for someone wanting some NER work horses for their layout.

i dare say another shove duff will follow towards the back end of this year as a tie with the DBSO.  a blue version with silver roof would certainly mate up nicely with the blue/grey DBSO, 47703 Saint Mungo anybody?

far too soon to say but i agree Bachmann Mk3a's would be the icing on the cake for D&E modellers unless Hornby decide to get their act together and think about a retool to match the standards laid down by their HST power cars.

in the meantime watch values of Limas Scotrail Mk3s to climb as people think about forming a push pull set next year.

I think the Bluebell used a little artistic licence in putting the Birch Grove name on an umber loco - there should just have been LB&SCR (early) or LBSC (late) on the tanks, names having been abolished for small tank locos after the Directors' inspection of 12 different specimen liveries in October 1905.

Something like this.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonhorrocks/7517019890/in/set-72157627906206452/

The retail price of an item is only indirectly related to the cost of production. Obviously, production costs matter at the macro level, which is why a car costs more than a fridge which costs more than a tin of beans. But at microeconomic level, other factors are far more important. Essentially, it's about setting a price at which the return on investment is maximised. And that isn't necessarily the same as the price at which you shift the most units.

• RMweb Gold

The retail price of an item is only indirectly related to the cost of production. Obviously, production costs matter at the macro level, which is why a car costs more than a fridge which costs more than a tin of beans. But at microeconomic level, other factors are far more important. Essentially, it's about setting a price at which the return on investment is maximised. And that isn't necessarily the same as the price at which you shift the most units.

This one does seem a bit random, though.

The rrp's on Bachmann's website, show just how much the premium for a weathered version varies:

Class 70: Nil, Class 03: £4, Peak: £5, Class 37 £10, Warship: £15.

If, however, Bachmann intend to price the next lot of Class 42 Warships at the same level as the new Class 43 and 'Cockade' were to be the first model to reflect such an increase, the weathering premium would only be £5, which makes rather more sense.

John

Speaking of weathering, I am pleased to see a couple of BR steam models planned in weathered condition, being only average in doing such work myself. 

Would I be right in thinking that such as a Jubilee class engine would be around £100 ?  Maybe try my own weathering with one of the £69 specials which have been at a well-known retailer's for ages.

Lovely to see the new Birdcage and Thompson carriages too.

Rob

I don't think this has been mentioned but is Bachmann's RNA Nuclear Flask Barrier Wagon the modified version without the coal hopper & not like the incorrect Modelzone version.

If it is the corrected version as per http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brrna/h78e9b11#h78e9b11 then I will be being a couple of these, plus a couple of the DBSO'S as well as the Inspection Saloon's. Hopefully, in the future there will be more livery varieties of the Saloons so I can run these with my Class 33, 37, & 73's (Dapol on order).

Also looking forward to the new MK1 TPO Stowage Van & possibly the Warflat. Would have been nice for the KFA Warwell, but will just have to vote for this for the next wishlist. Also possibly mechanical wash plant & Traction Servicing Depot.

I do have two of the Class 40's on order already so could be a good year for me. I will also be hoping for some Gatwick Express MKII's in the future and hopefully the Class 489 GLV.

Archived