Bachmann 64xx Panniers

Mikkel

• RMweb Gold

BSL/Phoenix used to list the A27, and I believe there is a brass kit in development.

Mike Wiltshire

Hi Mike,

Do you know who is developing it, as I would be very interested before I attempt the above!

Regards,

Nick.

Hi Mike,

Do you know who is developing it, as I would be very interested before I attempt the above!

Regards,

Nick.

It is a private commision but there will be a one off commercial run to recoup development costs. I will find out what stage has reached. This is a modern, hgh spec kit. Previous private runs like this usually retail for just under £100

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

What is all this "taffytank" nonsense in the link btw?!

Chris

Don't know but maybe he likes Taff Vale tanks.

The photos in that collection are astounding. There are also a lot of 6438 and a couple of 74xxs. I especially liked this one:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/taffytank/8437499103/in/photostream

The good stuff starts here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/taffytank/page2/

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

Regards,

Nick.

Sounds like a lot less work than what you were threatening to do to a poor, innocent Airfix product! :D

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget that Irwell Press will be releasing the last parts of its "Pannier Papers" series later this month, and the new instalments cover the 54/64/74xx (in Part 7), as well as the 1366s and 15xx (Part 6).

There should be some useful photos in those.....

My order of Pannier Papers Part 6 & 7 arrived in the post yesterday, some very nice photographs and useful information.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

My order of Pannier Papers Part 6 & 7 arrived in the post yesterday, some very nice photographs and useful information.

I like the work of Ian Sixsmith.Does it give shed allocations and a photo for all of the 64/74xx class.

• Like 1

I like the work of Ian Sixsmith.Does it give shed allocations and a photo for all of the 64/74xx class.

I picked up the 54xx/64xx/74xx edition at Ally Pally today; all the shed allocations and transfer dates are there and photos of many.  I started listing those excluded but then realised that there were a significant number so I would just suggest that it is probably the majority; in a few cases there are multiple photos of the same loco.  Nevertheless a worthwhile purchase.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

During a long talk with one of Bachmann's design folk at Ally Pally today (also covering the 'Modified Hall' and the Shunters Truck and the 'Dukedog') it was made clear that they are only doing one version of the 64XX bunker (in order to avoid it looking too much like the 8750) and that is the early curved version although I think I well and truly planted the seed that the later version is also needed.

An autocoach has been measured at Didcot (I don't know which one) in the past fortnight.

• Like 6

I too like them, though the previous parts tend to concentrate on the BR lives, particularly the original 57XX, failing to highlight detail differences in the early GWR days. I have had to add my own appendix detailing which engine was built by which contractor, which I expected to be included.

Written detail is much better in the 54/64/74 edition. For example it explains the topfeed fitting being a wartime addition. Full allocations a definite bonus - filled a few gaps in my own research. 54/64/74 papers definately one of the better editions.

Mike Wiltshire

• RMweb Premium

Just read the 54/64/74xx between trains at the Bluebell today and think I now understand all the differences!

6407 shedded at Southall in 1936 will do nicely thank you! - Even if the photo on Page 22 is taken at Newton Abbott.

Livery question: on the same page 6408 looks as if it has a Black buffer beam (1932 at Laira) Also 5401 looks as if it has a Black buffer beam.....

There has obviously been a run on the Pannier papers as these copies were a new run. Mine arrived direct from Irwell, with a copy of 57/67/77xx I'm very impressed, good little books.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

it was made clear that they are only doing one version of the 64XX bunker (in order to avoid it looking too much like the 8750) and that is the early curved version .[/i]

Good, then it will be more challenging to do the 74xx conversion.

Edit: By that I meant more fun :-)

Edited by Mikkel

Hi Mike,

Regards,

Nick.

Met up with chap running the project yesterday. All keyed in and multi layered. However it may end up an A30 as per Didcots. Decision will be made in the next couple of weeks apparently.

Mike Wiltshire

The old Airfix/Hornby A30 is still a reasonable model, and I don't see much sense in Bachmann duplicating it. I thought the idea behind the '64xx scheme' was to provide a Hawksworth autocoach.

It is as far as I am aware. Brinkly and I are discussing an etched brass commission in progress as an alternative to a cut and shut of the Airfix into an A27 he is considering.

MIke Wiltshire

• RMweb Gold

it was made clear that they are only doing one version of the 64XX bunker (in order to avoid it looking too much like the 8750) and that is the early curved version although I think I well and truly planted the seed that the later version is also needed.

If it's the curved version, doesn't that make a conversion to a 74XX a bit easier, as you only need a file, rather than some plasticard to back-fill the curved section?

It is as far as I am aware. Brinkly and I are discussing an etched brass commission in progress as an alternative to a cut and shut of the Airfix into an A27 he is considering.

Good luck with that. There was an Airfix A30 to A28 (A27?) conversion bash in an early MRJ.

Ironically, etched brass is probably more suited to the flush-windowed stock, i.e. A30 and later.

(I've deleted my earlier post because I completely misunderstood your message! Brain is not working this morning.)

Edited by Miss Prism

• RMweb Gold

If it's the curved version, doesn't that make a conversion to a 74XX a bit easier, as you only need a file, rather than some plasticard to back-fill the curved section?

Slightly more complicated Cap'n as there is a small rave on the bunker top which goes into and round the curve so it would possibly need to be trimmed back where it shouldn't be once you've taken out the curved part.  And it will need to be added to new short straight length of bunker top - depending on how noticeable it is on a model of course.

I had a word with Denis Lowett at Ally Pally, and he did confirm they would be doing a 54XX as they just need to change the die cast footplate.

I picked up the new Irwell Press book on the class and was a bit disapointed as I have been with the other books in the series, the mistakes in this issue stating that all the 64XX had curved bunkers while the 74XX were square.!!

David

• RMweb Premium

I had a word with Denis Lowett at Ally Pally, and he did confirm they would be doing a 54XX as they just need to change the die cast footplate.

I picked up the new Irwell Press book on the class and was a bit disapointed as I have been with the other books in the series, the mistakes in this issue stating that all the 64XX had curved bunkers while the 74XX were square.!!

David

Agreed there are a few typos, but the photos of the majority of the class, together with hed allocations are invaluable.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

David

Yes, rather an unfortunate error - especially as he correctly notes the introduction of bunker steps from 6430 onwards (on new build) which accompanied the change to the squared off junction between bunker to rave and the cab rear sheet.  And of course the pics show 64XX above 6430 with the squared off meeting of bunker top rave and cab (shame there isn't a pice of 6430).  But it's a darn good piece of work despite this error.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It's late and I'm getting confused.

From my understanding Bachmann announced the 64xx with two bunker variations. This would allow both the 64 and 74 xx classes to be modelled in their entirety.

Mike, The Stationmaster, has spoken to Bachmann, and it would appear that it will only be the earlier curved cab backed version that will be produced, which will discount the 74 xx class.

Dave (BCP)has also spoken, and has it confirmed that Bachmann will also be doing the 54xx variant. this will need a different chassis because of the bigger wheels.....plus differing buffer planks as the buffers on the 64/74xx and the 54xx were at differing heights (64/74 top of plank, 54 centred).

As for doing the one version to avoid it looking like a 8750, well that is laughable...................To all those of a non Western allegiance, all panniers look the same. It is only the copper cap polishers who would notice the sublime difference between each and every pannier.

Following Bachmann's logic through to it's natural conclusion would mean they wouldn't manufacture a 15xx because it looks the same as another late version taper boilered pannnier which class escapes me for the moment.

However, I am confident that after the Ally Pally show, they will have received such an ear bashing over their myopia, that they will immediately make amends by announcing a double framedBird class by way of a penance.

I shall now retire to my bed and sleep confident in the fact that Bachmann will take the honourable course of action.

Regards

Richard

• RMweb Gold

It's late and I'm getting confused.

From my understanding Bachmann announced the 64xx with two bunker variations. This would allow both the 64 and 74 xx classes to be modelled in their entirety.

Mike, The Stationmaster, has spoken to Bachmann, and it would appear that it will only be the earlier curved cab backed version that will be produced, which will discount the 74 xx class.

Dave (BCP)has also spoken, and has it confirmed that Bachmann will also be doing the 54xx variant. this will need a different chassis because of the bigger wheels.....plus differing buffer planks as the buffers on the 64/74xx and the 54xx were at differing heights (64/74 top of plank, 54 centred).

As for doing the one version to avoid it looking like a 8750, well that is laughable...................To all those of a non Western allegiance, all panniers look the same. It is only the copper cap polishers who would notice the sublime difference between each and every pannier.

Following Bachmann's logic through to it's natural conclusion would mean they wouldn't manufacture a 15xx because it looks the same as another late version taper boilered pannnier which class escapes me for the moment.

However, I am confident that after the Ally Pally show, they will have received such an ear bashing over their myopia, that they will immediately make amends by announcing a double framedBird class by way of a penance.

I shall now retire to my bed and sleep confident in the fact that Bachmann will take the honourable course of action.

Regards

Richard

You made a very interesting point indeed in there, hmm, tweet, tweet.  As it happened I did suggest that they should be looking to do something more once they've got those BullDukedog frames on the list.

Edited by The Stationmaster

Dennis wasn't at Ally Pally this weekend. ;)

He will be at York this coming weekend though.