Dave F more photos added 21 June from 1947 to 1955ish

Nice picture of your Grandfather earlier......have you one of the guy responsible for these marvellous pictures...your dad of course.  I'm sure we would all like to shake his hand and thank him if we could.

Bob.

• Like 4

I may have used Victoria - just can't remember! 44 years ago this month, I caught one of the last DMUs from Rugby to Nottingham, but may have alighted at Arkwright St, since I needed to get back to London via the Midland route. I'd love to say I have some pics, but the new Zenith E turned out to have an exposure meter about 1.5 stops out, so the slides were a bit over-groiled, sadly.

Ian,

If it was 44 years ago (1969) then it will have been a Rugby - Nottm Arkwright St DMU service. There were no services to Nottm Victoria at this time. Saturday May 3rd 1969 (I think that date is correct) was the last day for this DMU service.

Regards

Graham

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Nice picture of your Grandfather earlier......have you one of the guy responsible for these marvellous pictures...your dad of course.  I'm sure we would all like to shake his hand and thank him if we could.

Bob.

I'll have to see what I can find.

David

David,

The picture of the WD at Colwick clearly illustrates the vast, open nature of the site.

Carrington would make the basis for an interesting model, set as it was between two tunnels. No opportunities for any shunting though.

Edited by Western Sunset
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dave.

Another cracking set.

Is the ballast train actually going backwards up the correct track? The smoke/steam appears to suggest that, plus a crew member looking backwards!

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Can anyone identify the brake van in no. 3304? Judging by the number, it's a pre-group design - with 8 wheels

It's a GNR one isn't it? There is a photo of a similar 20T van with slightly higher set footboards in Tatlow's LNER Wagons (the single volume - don't have the relevant volume of the series to hand)

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave.

Another cracking set.

Is the ballast train actually going backwards up the correct track? The smoke/steam appears to suggest that, plus a crew member looking backwards!

Keith

I did wonder that too but decided to stick with Dad's notes.     I wondered if it was moving up and down as required - which I have seen elsewhere, Dad usually got the main direction of movement right.  Remember that the image numbers are not always indicative of the time they were taken, the prints had notes on the back as to location (but not much else) and were put into albums in a fairly random order.  Fortunately Dad also made notes in exercise books as he put them into albums.

David

Edited by DaveF

It's a GNR one isn't it? There is a photo of a similar 20T van with slightly higher set footboards in Tatlow's LNER Wagons (the single volume - don't have the relevant volume of the series to hand)

Simon

Yes GNR,

Tatlow, P.  (2005) LNER Wagons, Volume 1, LNER Southern Area. Wild Swan,. ISBN 1-905184-03-4.

Has a drawing of Code 4127 van with the footboards set higher than the wheel centres, but a photo of one with the footboards low as on this one. Introduced in 1913 and only 49 on the stock list in 1947, so a very nice shot. Quite interesting that all sign of NE has disappeared, although the wagon appears not to have had a repaint, although neatly rebranded, and no attempt to put a black ground behind the BR numbers.

Just to add my thanks for a wonderful set of photographs, this early BR period is very interesting and difficult to capture on models, as there was so little repainting of stock.

Paul Bartlett

• Like 1

Yes GNR,

Tatlow, P.  (2005) LNER Wagons, Volume 1, LNER Southern Area. Wild Swan,. ISBN 1-905184-03-4.

Has a drawing of Code 4127 van with the footboards set higher than the wheel centres, but a photo of one with the footboards low as on this one. Introduced in 1913 and only 49 on the stock list in 1947, so a very nice shot. Quite interesting that all sign of NE has disappeared, although the wagon appears not to have had a repaint, although neatly rebranded, and no attempt to put a black ground behind the BR numbers.

Just to add my thanks for a wonderful set of photographs, this early BR period is very interesting and difficult to capture on models, as there was so little repainting of stock.

Paul Bartlett

Currently building one for my project!

post-16151-0-15412300-1366514652_thumb.jpg

Great to see one 'out and about' in the post-war era. How thoughtful of your dad Dave to point his camera at the rear of the train. He obviously recognised something a little distinctive/unusual - judging by the comments since, so too do forum members!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Another super selection.

E4 No. 5451 is a J15.  

I don't know why I put E4, Dad's notes clearly say J15.  Perhaps I need new reading glasses.

I have a feeling the N2 is coming out of KX suburban side, not Moorgate via the Widened Lines, which I think are to the right?

That makes sense.

I've amended the captions.

Many thanks to you both.

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have a feeling the N2 is coming out of KX suburban side, not Moorgate via the Widened Lines, which I think are to the right?

What was the layout at King's Cross?

I have a 1935 atlas and it shows the down Moorgate line on the St Pancras side and the Up line on the York Way side, The suburban station is shown on the St Pancras side.

Either way the train pictured couldn't be coming from the widened lines!

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have a 1935 atlas and it shows the down Moorgate line on the St Pancras side and the Up line on the York Way side, The suburban station is shown on the St Pancras side.

Keith

Hi Keith and David

The N2 at Kings Cross is leaving the then Platform 13. The end Platform 16 which faces the line coming up from the widened lines can be behind the locomotive.

Clive

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes, the Widened Lines access was either side of the GN station. The up line went into tunnel behind the signalbox, the down line emerged outside the suburban trainshed. When I was working (relative expression) on the KX project a decade ago, the contractors had broken into and then filled the down tunnel, I think.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Keith and David

The N2 at Kings Cross is leaving the then Platform 13. The end Platform 16 which faces the line coming up from the widened lines can be behind the locomotive.

Clive

Thanks

That clears it up.

Keith

• Like 1

Re: Huntingdon Ouse Bridge rebuilding up line c 1949 JVol3055

Ah, bridge reconstruction! (Well it takes all sorts....)

The up line spans of bridge 144 were reconstructed between April and November of 1949 with a temporary signal box and signalling provided.

I reckon the stage depicted in your Dad's photo, which shows the up goods line girders ready for removal, is early May 1949 (certainly by 20th of that month, when they had been removed)

Here is an elevated view looking north dated 4 July showing the new girders for both up lines in place with track laid on the up goods. An up express is crossing the bridge using the temporary slue from the up fast to the down fast over the bridge. All down traffic was using the down goods, again over temporary connections etc. The former Midland single line from Kettering to Huntingdon East can be seen on the right

post-6509-0-71716200-1366582122.jpg

Industrialogical Associates collection

Edited by andyrush
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Re: Huntingdon Ouse Bridge rebuilding up line c 1949 JVol3055

Ah, bridge reconstruction! (Well it takes all sorts....)

The up line spans of bridge 144 were reconstructed between April and November of 1949 with a temporary signal box and signalling provided.

I reckon the stage depicted in your Dad's photo, which shows the up goods line girders ready for removal, is early May 1949 (certainly by 20th of that month, when they had been removed)

Here is an elevated view looking north dated 4 July showing the new girders for both up lines in place with track laid on the up goods. An up express is crossing the bridge using the temporary slue from the up fast to the down fast over the bridge. All down traffic was using the down goods, again over temporary connections etc. The former Midland single line from Kettering to Huntingdon East can be seen on the right

attachicon.gifGN14-15-03.jpg

RMWeb really is a superb source of information, very many thanks Andy.

David