Glenfinick, West Highland in N

Andrew P

Excellent work, Andy. Snow or no snow - there' S NOW stopping you!! (sorry)

Very neat fiddle yard. Looking forward to watching the backscene develop - as I'll have to do some, eventually.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, I have to do a series of stills for an article on back scene painting for RM and so I will do them on here as a tester. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Bodgit Picassoooooo :wub:

The video on page 7 took so long to download for a 2 min video that I will wait until I have done some more scenics before I do another one on here. :D

Bodgit Speellberger :crazy_mini: :crazy_mini: :crazy_mini:

WOT NO Polly?????? :unknw_mini:

Edited by Andrew P

Andy are the platforms to be covered in the typical red gravel you see in the highlands? Like the layout its making me think about going N for my new shed layout that will be started in about three weeks time.

Hi, No to the gravel, most of the pics I have of the stations such as Glenfinnan are either paving slabs, Tarmac or a sort of cobble, I have done one platform in the cobble and the other in Tarmac for veriety, the reason being is that the Tarmac one was lengthend and rebuilt.

Bodgit :superman:

The photos are great Andy but I agree on track. The code 80 is very heavy. I don't think going full 2mm scale is necessary but using the 2mm association easitrac makes sense to me. Of course points will need building but for the finished look it gives it is very much worth the effort. It takes time but wheres the rush?

Cav

Hi Jeff, Don and Cav, re the track, I agree it looks heavy but by the time it is ballasted and there are other scenic's to ease the eye away from the track it SHOULD look a lot better.

Bodgit

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Talking of 2mm track, Julia (Pixie) was demoing at Ally Pally yesterday, just down from us (I was backup operator on BCB) so I kept popping over for a chat. She gave me a gift of a couple of chaired 2FS sleepers to spur me on, even though she kept saying that she didn't want to influence or push me to model in 2FS :D

Later on, I was having a quick look round and whilst looking at an N gauge layout, took the sleepers out of my pocket so I could compare them to the Peco ones. Warning to Andy: don't do the same as the difference is night and day :)

End of the day though, this is looking lovely Andy and if you had gone down the 2FS route, would the time it has taken to get this far equate to the construction of one turnout?

• RMweb Gold

No criticism intended Andy and I am sure you will make a fine job of it. If it was 2mfs the curves would need to be bigger so it wouldn't fit the board. Using the Easitrack and making turnouts might be a good option.

Don

• RMweb Premium

The photos are great Andy but I agree on track. The code 80 is very heavy. I don't think going full 2mm scale is necessary but using the 2mm association easitrac makes sense to me. Of course points will need building but for the finished look it gives it is very much worth the effort. It takes time but wheres the rush?

Cav

Cav, you know what Andy is like! I'd barely built the subframe for Kirkby Luneside last June when he was asking me when the trains would be running (Feb 13 btw)!

The great thing about Andy is that he takes off-the-shelf product and turns it into something magic - and very quickly too. 

Great fun to watch.

Jeff

• Like 1

Talking of 2mm track, Julia (Pixie) was demoing at Ally Pally yesterday, just down from us (I was backup operator on BCB) so I kept popping over for a chat. She gave me a gift of a couple of chaired 2FS sleepers to spur me on, even though she kept saying that she didn't want to influence or push me to model in 2FS :D

Later on, I was having a quick look round and whilst looking at an N gauge layout, took the sleepers out of my pocket so I could compare them to the Peco ones. Warning to Andy: don't do the same as the difference is night and day

End of the day though, this is looking lovely Andy and if you had gone down the 2FS route, would the time it has taken to get this far equate to the construction of one turnout?

Hi Jason,

A = I am not into fine scale as I am to much of a Bodger.

and B = I would no more consider trying to build a point in O Gauge let alone N

and C = I AM HAPPY THAT IT RUNS NICE.

Oh and I nearly forgot D = I want to get on with Annes Hill MPD and so I can build both together,

Its not a race,

I am not in competition with anyone else on the WEB I just get board with one project.

I have already started to draw up plans for another OO project after Annes Hill :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

Bodger :sungum:

No criticism intended Andy and I am sure you will make a fine job of it. If it was 2mfs the curves would need to be bigger so it wouldn't fit the board. Using the Easitrack and making turnouts might be a good option.

Don

Hi Don,

A = A bigger board will not go in my car,

and B = see all the above

Bodger

• Like 1

Cav, you know what Andy is like! I'd barely built the subframe for Kirkby Luneside last June when he was asking me when the trains would be running (Feb 13 btw)!

The great thing about Andy is that he takes off-the-shelf product and turns it into something magic - and very quickly too. 

Great fun to watch.

Jeff

At last, someone on my wavelength,

I JUST ENJOY DESIGNING AND BUILDING FRESH LAYOUTS, :locomotive: :locomotive:

I SEE A NEW SCALE OR ERA OR AREA AS THE CHALLENGE THAT I NEED IN MY SIDE OF THE HOBBY. :locomotive: :locomotive:

The track will look grand once its ballasted! I'm more than happy to overlook the fatter rail providing my stuff runs well!

I love the snowy look you've gone for on the hills and the white-out on the backscene too- very Scottish ;)

Keep up the good work!

Ian B

• RMweb Premium

At last, someone on my wavelength,

I JUST ENJOY DESIGNING AND BUILDING FRESH LAYOUTS, :locomotive: :locomotive:

I SEE A NEW SCALE OR ERA OR AREA AS THE CHALLENGE THAT I NEED IN MY SIDE OF THE HOBBY. :locomotive: :locomotive:

Goes without saying, Andy!!

And your influence has certainly speeded-up my build on KL. After 10 months I'm probably at the planned 2 years, thanks to you.

Jeff

• Like 1

What you are doing is looking really good I can fully understand your mindset. I certainly have my moments where I just wanna hammer some peco down and get on with the good stuff, I nearly convinced myself the other day that peco would be ok on MD but I clicked on my saved easitrac pic to snap me out of it. It would really bug me later on now Ive seen what I could have.

Cav

What you are doing is looking really good I can fully understand your mindset. I certainly have my moments where I just wanna hammer some peco down and get on with the good stuff, I nearly convinced myself the other day that peco would be ok on MD but I clicked on my saved easitrac pic to snap me out of it. It would really bug me later on now Ive seen what I could have.

Cav

Hi Cav, I have just looked up Easitrac and it looks very good, BUT not for me I am afraid, at nearly 63 I just want to run trains, after all that's why I buy them. :senile: :senile: :senile: :senile:

Bodgit

• Like 1

Goes without saying, Andy!!

And your influence has certainly speeded-up my build on KL. After 10 months I'm probably at the planned 2 years, thanks to you.

Jeff

Hi Jeff, It's not just me that speeds you up, it is probably YOURSELF, I find that after I have posted a pic or 2 and had a few replies then I want to post another couple of pics so I need to do something to photograph, and so the cycle starts again.

HS3 :no:

• Like 1

The track will look grand once its ballasted! I'm more than happy to overlook the fatter rail providing my stuff runs well!

I love the snowy look you've gone for on the hills and the white-out on the backscene too- very Scottish ;)

Keep up the good work!

Ian B

Thanks Ian, there will be even more SNOW when I start to trim the polestyrene :no: (bum, white stuff, u no wot i mean.) :nono:

Bodgit the Snowman :O

• Like 1

I have had a busy day today, and managed to ballast the track before sitting down to watch the Grand Prix, I have used the fine powder from Slaters as it is almost dust like and gives a very realistic look. I added a very small amount of dark rust coloured Carrs Weathering powder to the PVA mix and it has dried with a very slight pinky / redish hue to it as per the West Highland Line. Then this evening when it was all dry I have tested it and been PLAYING TRAINS, I have done another couple of videos, but I am NOT posting the pics of the ballast as it looks CRA* and it will only bring in more comments about it looking even more chunky than before. :O

I should have used Peco Foam underlay

May rip it up and use that anyway

Bodged it again :nono: :imsohappy: :imsohappy: :imsohappy:

I have had a busy day today, and managed to ballast the track before sitting down to watch the Grand Prix, I have used the fine powder from Slaters as it is almost dust like and gives a very realistic look. I added a very small amount of dark rust coloured Carrs Weathering powder to the PVA mix and it has dried with a very slight pinky / redish hue to it as per the West Highland Line. Then this evening when it was all dry I have tested it and been PLAYING TRAINS, I have done another couple of videos, but I am NOT posting the pics of the ballast as it looks CRA* and it will only bring in more comments about it looking even more chunky than before. :O

I should have used Peco Foam underlay

May rip it up and use that anyway

Bodged it again :nono: :imsohappy: :imsohappy: :imsohappy:

Andy

Please post the pics. At least you'd get an objective view before you decide to make changes. It's what were here for.

Duncan

• Like 1