Sad Lack of Trains at Par

edcayton

I stopped at Par station for a while on my way back from my son's in St Austell. There was about half an hour until the next passenger train so I thought there's bound to be some movement before then. There wasn't! and the train was a 2 car 150 unit. Sad times

Ed

• RMweb Gold

Last Spring I had to wait over an hour for a china clay train to arrive at Par. Unfortunately theres only a handfull a day and  some days of the week with even less. Also some of these only run as required so no gaurantee of seeing them.

Even using a freight timetable it can be hit and miss which is frustrating when you have travelled from the South East to try and photo some of them.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Todays trains - use it before you go and you can (possibly) arrange the visit according to what's around and track the freight movements too.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced?location=Par&date=14%2F3%2F2013&tocs=All&timespan=3&show_schedules=11&schedule_type=0&show_wtt=1&show_var=1&show_stp=1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that Beast, it looks immensely useful.

Ed

If it's not obvious it covers the whole country but, rather strangely, the guy who wrote it is not allowed to use the real reporting number for freight trains, but it's easy enough to find that out.

• RMweb Premium

I had to spend an hour there 2 years ago but put the time to good use as I was invited into the box by the local signalling supervisor and we spent half an hour lowering signals and returning them so that i could see how the bounce worked on lower quadrants.

Jamie

Todays trains - use it before you go and you can (possibly) arrange the visit according to what's around and track the freight movements too.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced?location=Par&date=14%2F3%2F2013&tocs=All&timespan=3&show_schedules=11&schedule_type=0&show_wtt=1&show_var=1&show_stp=1

How can it have actual departure times that are in the future - I assume that's what Act Dep is?

Stu

Awesome link beast!!! Thanks for sharing this one, I'm sure there will be many of us on here checking this one out!

Best regards,

Jeremy

I wish they had that over here.....unless you know better, Dave.

It seems like you have to be in a Secret Society - or at least have the correct handshake to get that detail......

Best, Pete.

A really useful site, thanks for the link to it, but can you explain what the abbreviations mean please? I've just found the answer by clicking on the 'Basic' and 'Advanced' buttons!

• RMweb Gold

Just been looking at Cheltenham for tomorrow, expecting to see some charter trains running for the Gold Cup, but none are listed - do you know if this site would list any if there were?

Yes it should do - on other forums they are bemoaning the lack of specials so I don't think any are running. Generally the only things not listed are light engines (but some are) and the Royal train.

Yes it should do - on other forums they are bemoaning the lack of specials so I don't think any are running. Generally the only things not listed are light engines (but some are) and the Royal train.

Okay, once again thanks for highlighting this site, if only I'd known about it 30 years ago :rolleyes: spotting might have been more productive!

Great that someone is able to collate it all, I presume that Network Rail are co-operating in releasing this information, if so, well done to them too!

• RMweb Gold

My numbersnatching at Par was done in the early '60s - and there seemed to be great holes in the service then, too. Cornwall just doesn't get - or maybe need - the sort of service we enthusiasts might prefer!

Par has had a very patchy mainline passenger service for many years, and it would probably have got even worse if the proposal to re-route Newquay branch trains had ever come off!

About the only small station where you'd see a constant flow of trains is Barnetby! It's difficult to gauge a pattern of train movements in less than an hour anywhere. Even newport has some large gaps in freight. Par is quiet around the middle of the day with the exodus of Up services done by 11.00 in the morning, and the returning dopwn trains start in earnest from 19.00 in the evening. Luchtimes are quiet, but then I've heard that about lots of railway locations, Didcot, Cardiff!!

Those watching DVDs and videos of the Par era in the 90s probaly hanker after a stream of CDA trains and polybulk / Speedlink trippers. Alas these days are gone - as have the 6 or 7 class 37s. There is rarely more than 2 class 66s in the County at once, and these have exacting duties and diagrams, plus the CDA are 38 wagons in legth rather than 16 for a tractor.

• RMweb Gold

Okay, once again thanks for highlighting this site, if only I'd known about it 30 years ago :rolleyes: spotting might have been more productive!

Great that someone is able to collate it all, I presume that Network Rail are co-operating in releasing this information, if so, well done to them too!

Yes, it's fully licensed - I also had the license (to access the data, NR gave 1,000 out for free, I've given mine up for someone who, hopefully, will make better use of it) and was going to develop something but this is so good it wasn't worth me reinventing the wheel. I've written something which drives this site and saves the data locally, I need this as the data is not stored so once the day has passed, the data is lost, and if I'm away for a few days I can't always access the information, so my software saves it all for me to use when I return.

I use it extensively when out and about, but it's really useful when time is tight - for example I was working at home the other day and wanted to photograph a steam engine move, I couldn't really just go and hope (although I did have the booked times), so I followed it's movements (if you haven't twigged, click on the reporting code for full information about the train which updates (needs a refresh) as the train progresses), it got to Norwich on time, but then no passing time for Trowse, I waited (at home) and eventually it passed Trowse, 35 late, I headed over to my location, waited for a couple of minutes, the train appeared and I photographed it. Seems daft waiting up a ladder when more accurate information is available.

Archived