Stations at seaside resort towns - suggestions please

It is a pity you want the through lines as I have always thought Skegness would be a great subject for a layout. The only station I know of where the prototype had a fiddle yard.

I'll have another look at Skegness (I'll be across there for Easter anyway)

Do you have any images regarding Skegness as I'm intrigued as to what you mean by had a fiddle yard?

Thank you to everyone who's contributed so far, I'm getting a very good feel for how the coast, resort and towns of seaside locations interact with the railway, hopefully a slightly altered location or a well put-together and (more importantly) believable fictional location.

To start with I will only have 11, possibly 12ft by 2-3 ft to build in, including fiddle yards etc, not an insignificant size for N gauge, but still constricting which is why I've been avoiding what in my mind are the larger seaside resorts such as Bridlington, Blackpool etc. There are a few things I'd like to fit in around the railway and I'd like to avoid a flat board if I can.

Lots of food for thought, really appreciate it, thank you.

Do you have any images regarding Skegness as I'm intrigued as to what you mean by had a fiddle yard?

Probably a slightly tongue-in-cheek reference to the many carriage sidings just beyond the station throat and their particular format - have a look on Old-Maps

• RMweb Gold

What I'm hoping to achieve is to create a believable fictitious location by looking at prototype locations to make it look believable, similar to how Southernboy has done with Frankland, looking at features of the London suburbs expansion and used key features of that area to produce a believable layout.

I'm looking at doing similar for a Northern resort town served by the LMS / ex LMS or LNER

Move Lancaster station to Hest Bank?

Guest Natalie Graham

Sadly, they demolished most of it last year.

I don't have any pictures but have a look at the track plan on Old-maps.co.uk, after the end of the station where it passes the end of Albert Road, there is an array of sidings where I believe the stock for the numerous excursion trains was stored until it was time for them to go back again around tea time. Apart from the two lines that carry on to the rest of the railway network it really is a prototype terminus to fiddle yard plan. The 1906 1:2,500 map shows it best but they were still there in the 1967-68 edition, by which time a loco turning Y had been added.

Edit: I see cary hill beat me to it.

Portland (on the Portland Branch from Weymouth)

Through station with a bay* - separate goods terminus. Lots of traffic - Admiralty docks, Portland stone, local stopping services to Weymouth, through passengers to Easton.

Closed to passengers in 1951.

GWR, LSWR services.

* I saw a small image of a detailed track plan from 1950 that someone sold on eBay.

Thinking slightly outside the box but how about Bassenthwaite Lake station? Near enough to the Lake to include the water feature you want and terrific scenic surroundings. Would also have the novelty of being set on the only Lake in the Lake District. 

Thinking slightly outside the box but how about Bassenthwaite Lake station? Near enough to the Lake to include the water feature you want and terrific scenic surroundings. Would also have the novelty of being set on the only Lake in the Lake District.

While I would love to model the lake district I would feel as though I were copying Don Annison. I do have the plans for Lakeside tucked away somewhere, but I've got a hankering for a continuous run serving a resort town but thank you for the suggestion

• RMweb Premium

While I would love to model the lake district I would feel as though I were copying Don Annison. I do have the plans for Lakeside tucked away somewhere, but I've got a hankering for a continuous run serving a resort town but thank you for the suggestion

Why should it matter if someone else has already modelled the area, or perhaps we should all lay claims to a location so no one else could model it?

What if there was only one model of Ashburton! Or Crainlarich, Kyle of Lochalsh or other frequently modelled locations?

Go with your desires & forget about comparing yourself to others, or worse have others compare you!

So Coniston, would be out of the question, then. OK it's only about 100' above the water, but it does have the possibility as a round round.

OzzyO.

PM. sent.

Thanks, just seen the track plan, the shed arrangement might get used :)

I did once plan on modelling Consiston before looking around there and finding it further from the water than I could model, I then fell in love with Lakeside and switched to N gauge in order to build it, met my wife and had no time to do so. I did however propose to her just up the hill from the station after taking shelter from a storm in the old slate order office!

Unfortunately Lakeside and Coniston didn't really have the volume of passenger traffic I'd be running and certainly didn't welcome DP1 or a streamlined Duchess!

Although rule 1 could apply...

Why should it matter if someone else has already modelled the area, or perhaps we should all lay claims to a location so no one else could model it?

What if there was only one model of Ashburton! Or Crainlarich, Kyle of Lochalsh or other frequently modelled locations?

Go with your desires & forget about comparing yourself to others, or worse have others compare you!

While it doesn't matter if someone else has already modelled it, Bassenthwaite was the layout that persuaded me into N gauge and I don't think I could build it without comparing my efforts to that which has gone before.

Unfortunately Lakeside and Coniston didn't really have the volume of passenger traffic I'd be running and certainly didn't welcome DP1 or a streamlined Duchess!

Although rule 1 could apply...

IIRC, no bl00dy places did the two show up at the same time. So rule 1 would have to apply!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OzzyO.

PS, you could just about get away with HS4000 on the Lakeside branch (closed in approx 1966) or Whitehaven lines. As it did come to Barrow for some work on it. About as close as DP1 came was Carnforth. The same as a streamlined Duchess. So you'd have to have about a six year time span just to get the last streamlined Duchess (casing removed in 1949) and DP1 (introduced in 1955) in your time span. 

Not quite a resort, but I'd suggest Craigendoran. One terminating platform, with runround loop, on the pier for transfer to steamers (and possibly a goods line further out on to the pier - it's not clear from the map I'm looking at). And not one, but two, through routes - the line to Helensburgh Central with platforms the same level as the pier line, and the West Highland, already starting its climb towards Helensburgh Upper with an island platform at a higher level.

Penarth might be worth a look. It is on a curve and only a siding now but before mid 60s rationalisation it had two through platforms and a through centre road and two bays at the far end. You could see the sea were it not for the 'ouses in between.

Chris

Perhaps the topic title should be modified to "Through stations at seaside resorts" - so that we don't keep distracting the OP with tempting termini.

I do like the Cleethorpes idea, though - wasn't there a massive rollercoaster ride built alongside the line?

Ah, now I understand, it does look like a fiddle yard!

wonder if I could incorporate a storage yard like that into my plans and not have an off-scene fiddle...

Thanks for the reminder of old-maps, I'd forgotten about that.

Paignton had 4? coach storage sidings behind the down platform where the Paignton and Dartmouth (or whatever it is now called) station is, as well as the Goodrington goods yard and the Goodrington coach sidings to the west of the station (and I have photos that show every piece of track not needed for actually ruunning trains in use for coach storage on a summer Saturday).

Add to that the old goods yard (became a parcels siding) behind the up platform and you have all sorts of options for on-scene fiddling.

Adrian

• 8 months later...

No bays, though you could add them, Grange over Sands is a  fantastic little station.

I overlooked this suggestion before but having seen a model of grange set in the 80's I think this could be the result

I also think I've worked out how to fit the fiddle yard to be removable, not only that, able to attach it to front or rear of the layout...

Archived