Stations at seaside resort towns - suggestions please

I'm plotting and planning a seaside resort town in the late 40's early 50's similar to Scarborough but with a through-line and a couple of bay platforms / terminating lines.

The closer to the seafront the railway is, the better (Cleethorpes is perhaps a little too close!)

Scarborough would be ideal if it was a bit closer to the front and not as steep. The front and the town are a bit too segregated for what I'm wanting.

If anyone can suggest resort towns to look at on google earth that might help with ideas and inspiration for the town's layout I'd appreciate it.

Thanks

How about Weston Supa Mare, being built on a curve helps with the through lines, might have to move it closer to the beach though.

or Dawlish, although you'll have to add the bays - can't get much closer than that

Swansea Bay (no bays, but a siding for coal) or Mumbles Road (likewise), where the beach actually encroached on to the track if the wind was strong enough.

Ferryside, which had no bay, but a small goods yard, and which had a terminating service from Swansea at various times.

Severn Beach, which had a curious arrangement of through tracks running past a terminal station.

Tenby, which had a passing loop, small goods yard, and a bay on the Whitland side- by the time I visited it first in the mid-1960s, this housed some camping coaches.

Hello Black Sheep,

terminus station with through roads and on the seaside. A big call. One that may help is Whitehaven, three or was it four through platform roads along with two? bay platforms. It also has the advantage of a tunnel right on the end of the through platform roads. down side is that it's about half a mile from the shore.

OzzyO.

• RMweb Premium

I suspect that you might find it easier to find a station with a layout that you want away from the coast. Once done transfer this to your favoured location.

cary hill, on 17 Mar 2013 - 17:04, said:

But they don't have a genuine through line and I suspect this requirement might limit the prototype possibilities although I may be wrong.

What I'm hoping to achieve is to create a believable fictitious location by looking at prototype locations to make it look believable, similar to how Southernboy has done with Frankland, looking at features of the London suburbs expansion and used key features of that area to produce a believable layout.

I'm looking at doing similar for a Northern resort town served by the LMS / ex LMS or LNER

• RMweb Gold

Paigntons got to be up there with the best, 

Level crossings each end, 2 platforms, carriage sidings

Main street with cinema & shops.

Too far from the sea though for OPs modelling preference.

What about Scarborough Londesborough Road. (The excursion station)

One through and one bay platform able to accommodate long trains.

A tunnel for the Whitby line and a bridge before Central station for taking trains off scene.

Views out to sea could be painted on the backscene.

You could always use modellers licence if you wanted it nearer the beach.

Good luck with your project.

Mike

https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=londesborough+road+station&bav=on.2,or.r_qf.&bvm=bv.43828540,d.d2k&biw=1280&bih=709&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=

Archived