Great British Locomotives

EddieB

As I recall Lima did a 4F and and a class 33 in (approximately) H0 and a 'Crab', 'J50', '4575', '94xx', 'King' and '09' (externally the same as an '08' I believe)  and 'Western' (plus other diesels which I don't recall) of which only the 'King' and 'Western' could really count as 'Great British Locomotives', though, seeing they've done a 'Jinty' and the '4575', they could all count. Probably the 09 is the most worthy candidate, considering its numbers and longevity.

I have a Lima 08/09 body, and believe me it's quite distorted in its proportions. When I lined it up with the China-generation Hornby one, it was all too clear that there was excess length / width in some parts, and not enough in others! The cab structure in particular is longer than it should be, as are the fuel tanks.

Just for fun, I started hacking into it to see whether the proportions could be corrected (or at least made to get as close as possible to the Hornby one). It is only plastic, after all, and you can fill it in with other scrap plastic if you make mistakes. Whether it will then fit onto the Impetus chassis that was intended for it is another thing altogether.......

I don't think the 94xx was on the GBL list but such a bodyshell has one or two possibilities.

What is a Great British Locomotive is all down to personal opinion.

Is a workhorse like a Jinty or pannier less of a great locomotive than a pretty looking 4-2-2 such as GNR No1 that was obsolete after a decade? I don't think so. And don't go by what's in the NRM as the people who picked the engines to be preserved only chose the one's they liked and ignored the vast majority of ordinary engines. Hence the amount of stylish looking Victorian 4-4-0s and the relative lack of 0-6-0s and tank engines. If it wasn't for preservationists and Barry scrapyard then the preserved locomotive history of the UK would be very skewed towards pretty looking Victorian passenger locomotives. LNER ones mostly.

Jason

Good points Jason, I think the bottom line is were one of the luckiest countries in the world when it comes to preserved steam loco's with the range and selection that's preserved, there's always going to be a wish list of engines that "Got away" we've all got our favorites but what a choice we have thankfully from many sources

Hi all,

Well what can I say, Just got the 125, And what a bag of S**T it is. The worst paint job of any of the models  have received and so dimensionally unsound to be laughable.

As to Amercom's possible copyright infringement, You only have to look at the Fighter Aircraft Collection they produced. 62 aircraft that appeared to be clones of just about every other modelling companies products. It does not mean to say they did not have permission or not as the case may be. Just that they were almost identical right down to the markings of some of them. So I do not think that they have any worries over possible copyright infringements.

What I can say about the Fighter Aircraft Collection was that their QC was far higher that of the GBL models, Not perfect but much higher. Pity it does not appear to have followed suit with the GBL>

Cypherman

They also produced a helicopter series a year or two back. I bought the Royal Marines Sea King Junglie it was a direct copy (albeit in plastic) of the Di cast Corgi model. It was a very fine model except for a bit of flash (easily removed) that was stopping the top and bottom halves mating together neatly. I don't think Amercon are at all worried about copyright.

One point on copyright of the paintwork is that the RAF roundel is copyright of the Raf and some aircraft manufacturers are quite protective of their aircraft designs to. The airfix f-86 for example has a note on the box saying it is a licensed product of Boeing. The F-86 is a Korean war era aircraft and long obsolete but boeing (who only own the design by takeover) are very protective over it.

Edited by 61650gtfc

If they made 62 fighter aircraft will we end up with 62 locomotives? Time will tell I suppose.

A class 37 would be nice as long as it's not based on the Hornby rubbish surely it's a great British locomotive. The diesel equivalent of the black 5

• Like 1

... If it wasn't for preservationists and Barry scrapyard then the preserved locomotive history of the UK would be very skewed towards pretty looking Victorian passenger locomotives. LNER ones mostly...

That's unjust. The GNR and NER, and subsequently the LNER, provided the basis of the NRM collection from items which went obsolete far too early for private preservation, and which would never see Barry scrapyard. When it came to preserving pretty locos, they were broadminded enough to find a home for the Stroudley 'Gladstone' and City of Truro. The old Midland locos which LMS Derby were trying to preserve might have made it if they had quickly been moved to York, when Bill the Butcher joined the LMS.

It's the not-LNER companies that are more responsible for the skewing, by their failure to do likewise...

I'm quite aware of my railway history thank you very much.

I was using LNER as a cover all of the region*. I could have used Eastern Region, then I would of had to say NER and ScR as well. The skewed amount of locomotives preserved from the Eastern side of the country lasted well past nationalisation and even up to the modern era.

Using only locomotives which lasted after nationalisation. GWR had 6 locomotives preserved 4003, 4073, 6000, 2516, 2818 and 9400.  The Southern had 9 - 34051, 30777, 30850, 30120, 30925, 31737, 33001, 30587 and 30245, LMS has 8 - 45000, 41000, 42700, 49395, 44027, 41966, 42500 and 50621. Whereas the LNER GROUP* had 10 preserved - 60022, 62660, 62469, 62277, 63601, 60800, 62785, 63460, 65567 and 68633 to add to the myriad of LNER GROUP locomotives already preserved. This also applies to the other items on display such as nameplates. Hardly a NATIONAL RAILWAY MUSEUM.

I'm not saying those LNER locomotives should not have been preserved, more the fact they had a chance to redeem the balance yet didn't do so. Where are the GWR 2 cylinder mixed traffic and passenger locomotives? Where are the large LMS passenger tender locomotives? It wasn't until the late 1980's that they righted that wrong by acquiring Duchess Of Hamilton. Off loading the 502 unit is another recent debacle. I should know about that as I was one of the people that restored it to LMS condition and working order in the first place.

*As stated in RCTS Locomotive Stock Book 1969. Not my terms, if you want to argue then argue with the RCTS. If it's good enough for an organisation that is seen as the foremost of it's kind, then it's good enough for me. And it's still used on their photographic archive section, even if looking for GNR No1 or the Stockton & Darlington Railway then you look under LNER.

Sorry about going off thread, but I object to being talked down to. Especially in a mocking manner.

Jason

Hardly a NATIONAL RAILWAY MUSEUM.

Locomotives are expensive, do you want to fund the purchase of numerous locomotives to build it up a bit. I'd say they kept a relatively equal balance and I think the LNER (used as umbrella term for any appropriate constituent companies aswell) has the right to maybe have a few extra Locos compared to the rest considering they were the ones to actually think of having a museum anyway.

Personally having been born far too late to witness steam in its prime myself I'm grateful for anything preserved and being Cornish I'm especially gratful to the LNER and the current NRM for preserving City of Truro.

Rhys

• Like 1

Is a workhorse like a Jinty or pannier less of a great locomotive than a pretty looking 4-2-2 such as GNR No1 that was obsolete after a decade? 

In much the same way of course that almost all the Aston Martins, E-Types etc built are still in existence, but when was the last time you saw a Mark 1 Fiesta?

• RMweb Premium

If GBL isn't your cup of tea anymore, never fear as GBB is back, the Atlas Edition OO scale die cast buses that are knock offs of EFE and Corgi products is getting a re-run with exactly the same models as last time (and indeed still to be seen en-masse cluttering dusty forgotten corners of Ebay...)

http://www.atlaseditions.co.uk/collection/Great_British_Buses/Great%20British%20Buses.html

The first one, a LT AEC Regent for just a couple of notes is fine and useful but forget the rest, way overpriced and you wind up on their list.....

Well, the Duchess has now made it Down Under.....

post-14921-0-21019300-1412380479_thumb.jpg

I apologise for the bad shot, but it was on my phone with a dodgy camera,  the lens was dirty, the sun was at a bad angle, the card wouldn't stand up straight......basically using every excuse in the photographers handbook there.

• Like 3

I have to say the last few times I have been at the NRM I have been surprised how many empty roads there has been. I could understand putting trains out on loan if there was a lack of space but the main hall could have accommodated several more locomotives

Will be in the great hall this time next week, meeting up with some ex train spotting friends..some of whom haven't seen for forty years. I'm just hoping they've aged as well as I have.......ahem......

Sorry starting to sound like. Twitter/ Facebook user....now going to toilet....now shopping....now breathing....get a life....make something.....like a castle chassis, fettled out of brass, making coupling rods, at same time lubricators and activating leverage of the rear wheel of the Ivatt high footplate Caprotti. The one thing I have found very useful on this blog are the links to other sites. One in particular I have used to source reference to the latter item mentioned.. Back to the modelling....

just a quick picture of progress to date on my ivatt...thanks(apologies) to the other contributors to this site who have provided inspiraton in assisting my efforts thus far....to summarise GBL black 5 body hacked as seen....comet models ivatt chassis and some of the motion...their cylinders cut down and built up with brass and plastic...steam pipes left over from their low footplate kits for the caprotti . Lubricators and sandbox all plastic.... shaped filed etc...operating levers bits of motion in spares box, lace brass pins and metal black for nickel silver around non secure holes allowing soldering behind onto binding metal pieces. It all works very well....very satisfying watching it operate.....and all diplayed on the cross beam of my loft. This fulfills a number of usefull roles not least keeping my roof on...paint pedestal....knocking some sense into this ageing brain when i occasinally forget its there.

post-23587-0-60387400-1412431214_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

What is a Great British Locomotive is all down to personal opinion.

Is a workhorse like a Jinty or pannier less of a great locomotive than a pretty looking 4-2-2 such as GNR No1 that was obsolete after a decade? I don't think so. And don't go by what's in the NRM as the people who picked the engines to be preserved only chose the one's they liked and ignored the vast majority of ordinary engines. Hence the amount of stylish looking Victorian 4-4-0s and the relative lack of 0-6-0s and tank engines. If it wasn't for preservationists and Barry scrapyard then the preserved locomotive history of the UK would be very skewed towards pretty looking Victorian passenger locomotives. LNER ones mostly.

Jason

It is worth noting that one criteria for official preservation was originality, so that is one reason that the Ex P2 locos missed out, Thompson effectively finished them off as regards originality as a P2!  The same reason that the officials didn't have an A3, as they were much modified from the original (some)  A1s...so Mr. Peglar stood in....

There is (somewhere probably) a long list of the Locos that were too modified to fit in with the criteria!

Just reread my earlier post about face book missed an important word out " I,m " starting to act like a Facebook used posting my whereabouts next week.....no slur intended any other user of this blog.

On a roll now one item not mentioned was Caprotti valve gear..... This a duke of gloucester set .....it's too long for Ivatt needs to be shortened...have done other side and replaced middle section with small dia brass tube.