RMweb

Great British Locomotives

EddieB

• RMweb Premium

Looking good.

On the subject of N, what is a good colour match for SECR grey? I've read that it weathered pretty quickly to almost black.

I used Humbrol 27 sea grey (acrylic spray can) on my models, it's a fairly good match to the Bachmann SECR N.

Looking at the depth of the footplate drop under the cab, and comparing it with the drawings I have, I'm beginning to think that GBL has it slightly too deep in that area. In fact it's part of the way to being correct for a new-build "U", so some cutting and shutting will have to be tried.....

These, by the way, are the basic holes that need to be opened up if you are using the GBL footplate as a substitute for a broken/shattered Bachmann mazak one:

1) Under smokebox saddle: one slot either side of the central screw pillar to match with the clips on the Bachmann saddle, and open up the central hole so that the pillar (and thus the entire smokebox saddle) sinks in;

2) Midway: open up the hole to allow the screw in the bottom of the Bachmann boiler to protrude.

3) Beside the firebox - trim the moulded "angle" on the nearside longitudinally, to allow the firebox to sit flat on the footplate.

4) Under the cab: this is the one requiring most work - hack away as much material as you dare from inside the footplate angle valencing (but not the valences themselves!) to allow the screw pillars under the Bachmann cab to fit through. Cut slots to allow the leading bottom edges of the cabsides to sit inside the footplate curved drop, and pare away material from the sides of the cab floor. Some modification will also be needed to allow the Bachmann cast backhead to fit inside properly - the GBL backhead is wrong and appears to be from a different engine.

post-6879-0-41699800-1429697600_thumb.jpg

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Spoke too soon, just gone back through some of the piccies posted on here and realised that my GBL model is missing the entire Whistle assembly!

A rake through the spares box will be called for when I have time.

I've found a spare brass whistle wasting its time on a piece of old tat, but I don't know how the pipework around the whistle on the N class is formed/assembled.

Could anyone possibly post a close up of the whistle assembly on either the GBL or Bachmann model for my guidance please?

I'll be very grateful for any help with this.

regards,

John

Had to go into Warminster this morning, so nipped into WHSmith while I was passing.  Still had four Ns in the partwork bin. All seemed reasonable, so I chose one to be liberated.. I don't particularly need it so it is available if anyone  can't find any in their area.

Took a look at previous purchases in my loft as well, resulting in a Mallard, Coronation, Compound, Butler-Henderson, and a T9 all also available.

Looking at the depth of the footplate drop under the cab, and comparing it with the drawings I have, I'm beginning to think that GBL has it slightly too deep in that area. In fact it's part of the way to being correct for a new-build "U", so some cutting and shutting will have to be tried.....

And probably a lot easier than doing the same mod to a DJH cast whitemetal footplate. 

I've found a spare brass whistle wasting its time on a piece of old tat, but I don't know how the pipework around the whistle on the N class is formed/assembled.

Could anyone possibly post a close up of the whistle assembly on either the GBL or Bachmann model for my guidance please?

I'll be very grateful for any help with this.

regards,

John

I've got a fairly-battered-looking Bachmann N class here that's just had a new body donated for it. I'd be happy to donate the whistle assembly if you would like?

Edit due to ham-fistedness: Or not... Delicate and solidly glued in place, it disintegrated as I tried to get it off the firebox. Sorry! 

Edited by Skinnylinny

Look.

I don't know how to put this.

But I want an extra N.

I'm prepared to swap all sorts of things - maybe even two for one.

There are none to be found round here, so can someone who keeps seeing hordes of the bu**ers please get me one and we'll arrange the swap you desire.

Plz.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the offer and the effort Skinnylinny, sorry it all crumbled away . Not really much I can say by way of consolation, just my sincere thanks for a most generous thought.

Now, if anyone can post a half decent photo of the N class whistle assembly, I'm sure I can knock something together to make my GBL version look more complete.

regards,

John

• RMweb Premium

Thanks very much for that piccie Smiffy2, I can see the general arrangement and it looks like a couple of short pieces of brass tube plus a bit of wire linked to the whistle should do the trick.

Much appreciated,

John

• Like 1

Well I'm sadly a subscriber, still await a lot of models up to issue 30.

A lot of us have tried to get it into GBLs Customer service team just how unhappy we are, at great phone cost, perhaps its the'phone charges' that are still supporting such a rotten company.

To think that our National Railway Muse is still supporting them is unbelieveable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I'm about to stop my subscription, as soon as I get my missing models.

Paul

No 30 arrived this morning but still await No,s 21,23,25,27,29. Also 31 and 32. as shown on the GBL Webpage.

Paul

Look.

I don't know how to put this.

But I want an extra N.

I'm prepared to swap all sorts of things - maybe even two for one.

There are none to be found round here, so can someone who keeps seeing hordes of the bu**ers please get me one and we'll arrange the swap you desire.

Plz.

1 left in Teignmouth today. Will check in the morning.

I've just received confirmation from Amercom that the series will end at issue #41, and that the locomotive will be Locomotion No 1...

quote:

Hi

the issue 41 will be the last one. The model included to that issue will be Locomtion one.
Best regards
ALex

So no Terrier...

Is this the clone of the Margate one?

It looks like it. The picture is too small to make out details very clearly beyond LMS livery. However, the lack of conspicuous rivets indicates it's not the Dublo/Wrenn version.and the horizontal union link suggests a recent model.

'Locomotion' looks like being added as a decorative feature. I certainly won't be attempting a motorisation!

Edited by Il Grifone

Guest spet0114

What are they copying to make locomotion? Will be a shame to see the end of this series but my cupboard is getting full. It's been fun while it's lasted.

Give it a year or two, it'll probably all get re-issued....

• RMweb Premium

Hope Smiffy2's information is correct so far as Locomotion being produced. It was one model I'd really wanted from the initial announcement and it was a great disappointment to learn that it had been scratched from the series some good while ago.

Could they reduce/ scan or whatever process from the Bachmann static model which I think is made of pewter ? I certainly don't know of any RTR model in any scale ever having been produced.

Agree its a shame to see the end of the series, but lack of space to accommodate many more models is becoming a bit of a problem. 

Will hope to enjoy the remainder of the series while it lasts.

Regards,

John

• Like 2