RMweb

Great British Locomotives

EddieB

.... the original moulding...just the undersized headcode letters and numerals absent.....if original or adapted on your model it looks better than my effort....hey ho...

I haven't yet touched the headcode panels, but the visible area for the characters on a "Western" should be around 3.6mm tall. As said earlier, the Lima/GBL ones are on the small side. Precision Labels do a near flawless range of headcodes - the font is spot-on, and the backlit ones look as though they could be rolled-up so that you can change the codes as and when you want. Hmmm....working headcode rollers.....

• Like 1

A Google search on Testors Dullcote, with a UK filter, finds several outlets that can do mail order.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Thanks for the very useful  info, John,  I'd obviously been given some duff gen.  Found a supplier on Amazon and a spray can is on its way to me.

regards, Bill.

• Like 1

Having passed up several opportunities to buy the J39, I suddenly decided that it would make a great Father's Day present.

I must say, having been pleasantly surprised by the magazines with some previous models, I was looking forward to something of similar scope and quality.  Sadly, not to be - and much in line with my originally low expectations.

What is the closest car paint shade to golden ochre?

Probably the sort of paint used on Allegros and mini clubmans in the early seventies.  :-)   I picked up the Rover Brooklands green and vauxhall Burgundy Red tips from an article in a gauge O guild magazine (about 2001 or so ) that a friend who belonged to it gave me.  They seem to work well.  Another suggestion was Lada Adriatic blue for prototype deltics and Lada cream for BR cream.  However I can't  find the magazine at the moment to see what else they suggested...

Re Westerns, here's my 3 rail Lima project so far.  Halfords Vauxhall burgandy red on body, which was pretty tatty before. The pick ups came from e-bay, they are a clone of the plunger pickups from the H-D 8F castle and D8000. Be straight forward to make something similar   if this works and I do another. The bogies are ok but chassis broken so that's next to repair.

post-4032-0-18956600-1435045561.jpg

• Like 3

Currently trying to reattach one cab to the central portion of the Western without too much excess strip sticking out. Thank God for the aggressiveness of solvent, that's all I can say. Where possible, it should be done with the body sitting on the underframe to keep it all in line.

The pitfall with the Heljan chassis is that it is marginally wider at the top than the space given by the GBL / Lima clone shell, causing the central portion to spread alarmingly at the base. With hindsight, I should have swallowed the cost of a Dapol Western chassis, which looks significantly friendlier in design. Still, you've made your bed, so you have to lie in it, and I'm bringing out the b*stard file because there's an awful lot of filing required to try to narrow the Heljan mazak casting all the way along the top.

If you're considering making a modern runner out of the GBL model, a friendly word says invest in the Dapol chassis which is probably the freshest thing on the menu...and you can get spare parts for it.

Re Westerns, here's my 3 rail Lima project so far. .... pick ups came from e-bay, they are a clone of the plunger pickups from the H-D 8F castle and D8000. ....

Interesting plungers. I initially thought that would run well on a Marklin layout before realising that they use stud contact, which relies on a skate rather than a plunger.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 2

Probably the sort of paint used on Allegros and mini clubmans in the early seventies.  :-)   I picked up the Rover Brooklands green and vauxhall Burgundy Red tips from an article in a gauge O guild magazine (about 2001 or so ) that a friend who belonged to it gave me.  They seem to work well.  Another suggestion was Lada Adriatic blue for prototype deltics and Lada cream for BR cream.  However I can't  find the magazine at the moment to see what else they suggested...

Yep - I was going to reference the "egg yolk yellow" that was on my fathers Morris Marina, it was L reg so that pins it down to 1972-3.  My mother HATED it!

I think the tin of "touch-up" paint has long congealed, if its still at the back of the garage.....

Just googled the Marina - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Marina

The second pic down on the r/h side of the article IS that awful colour!

Edited by Hroth

Yep - I was going to reference the "egg yolk yellow" that was on my fathers Morris Marina, it was L reg so that pins it down to 1972-3.  My mother HATED it!

I think the tin of "touch-up" paint has long congealed, if its still at the back of the garage.....

Just googled the Marina - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_Marina

The second pic down on the r/h side of the article IS that awful colour!

So...."bracken" (ICI code 9427) would pass for golden ochre, then?

So...."bracken" (ICI code 9427) would pass for golden ochre, then?

Possibly, if you weren't too fussy* - having had a look at the images offered by goggle when I searched for "Western diesel golden ochre", its as good a stab as any!

* Blind man on galloping horse caveat......

The county is in the shops today. Don't know much about these locos so can't say how accurate the model is. Looks nice enough few decoration issues prehaps. The orange lining on the cabsides and tender look a little dull to my eyes and the printing of the GW and crest are a bit thin it looks better in the photos than in real life. The number plate is good but is printed on an etched plate would improve the look. Same goes for the name plate. Good news for those of us who like to add coal to tenders is the moulded coal is very low this loco needs a trip to the coaling plant.

post-5114-0-62639700-1435125184_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-89693600-1435125212_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-57890900-1435125240_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-15819700-1435125263_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-96433500-1435125290_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-12425100-1435125312_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-77448100-1435125335_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-37296900-1435125358_thumb.jpg

post-5114-0-23299700-1435125373_thumb.jpg

Whooeee!!!

Is it just me, or is the cab/firebox relationship completely out of whack?

I had a look at County of Chester on wikipedia (  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GWR_1000_Class#/media/File:Bristol_Temple_Meads_2_geograph-2423243-by-Ben-Brooksbank.jpg) - they look completely different locos.  Is this one of the worst GBL renditions so far?  It looks like they pinched the boiler off a Manor!

From the photo, the green looks strange and the cab too. To be pedantic, the RH connecting rod is too short and the lining should not be continued over the top of the firebox.

Once again the GWR has been poorly served.......

It's not too bad and I'm off to Asda to inspect the real thing, but I doubt one will be coming home with me.

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Premium

Whether the tender is 'full' or not the contents look like a nasty rash, the J39 was similar. I'm going to remove the coal from my J39 anyway as it is going to become the load for an Oxford Diecast low loader lorry.

It seems that the cabside window has suffered the same problem that the King did in that the window frames don't quite capture the look of the original. Easily solved with replacement frames. Otherwise it looks like a reasonable copy of the old Dapol model.

At least they got the front frames correct, unlike Bachmann's effort on the Modified Hall. ;)

Already got a Dapol version but I might try and pick up an extra copy later. Useful for the spare tender at the very least.

Jason

She looks better in the flesh (or rather plastic), but the tender and cab lining is not nearly orange enough. The example in Asda* had the cab badly fitted and a bent LH connecting rod. The green would probably be OK with a coat of varnish. It's still there if anyone is interested.......

*Only one - I don't know if it's because they sold one or supplies have been reduced.

Popped into my local Sainsburys this lunchtime and snaffled their sole copy.  I don't know how many they get in, but there's always only one when I visit! (the card backing is usually sadly mangled too...)  It looks a bit better in the flesh, though it still seems subtly wrong, no matter how you look at it. And the cylinders need gluing into place!  Anyhoo, its going to be a 1963-4 vintage loco, minus nameplates, as dirty as hell, weeks away from the scrapyard.  Static diorama fodder, naturally.

OR

Stretch the firebox, stick a pony truck under the cab and, voila!  Hawksworths "Pacific".......

• Like 4

omis

OR

Stretch the firebox, stick a pony truck under the cab and, voila!  Hawksworths "Pacific".......

Now I'm tempted.......

A Tri-ang Princess could supply the missing parts.....

• Like 2

The county which appears to be copy of Dapol...Hornby...anyway my new GBL has Hornby 8f firebox of margate origin grafted on this afternoon as suggested by Tim shakleton in his book improving plastic body locos..as can be seen lot of work still to be done, but I thought would give it a trial fit...

• Like 2