RMweb

Great British Locomotives

EddieB

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps the staff member responsible for carefully incorporating the white cat hairs with the two A2's I purchased is having a week off? As a neophyte purchaser of the product at issue no 39, has this been a standard feature of this product line? (I only learned they are cat hairs yesterday from the person I purchased the second of the two for, the female side of his family are cattists, much to his despair.) The Hutler Benderson 4-4-0 body I have was bought for me by the same friend and came to my hands already dismantled.

Its often been speculated about the standards of workmanship/ conditions under which these models are produced and assembled.

When the GWR County class was released, the copy I gave to my neighbour, as per our standing arrangement, was quickly returned to me for inspection, having been unpacked to reveal terrible finish on the side of the loco which had been concealed from view by the packaging.

My quick assessment was that the loco body had been dropped into a heap of dust either while still wet with paint, or had been painted with the coating of dust particles in place. Either way, it was a mess which could possibly have passed as portraying the aftermath of a smokebox clean out on a windy day.

Feeling responsible, having taken my pick of the 2 models I'd collected, I undertook a clean up, total repaint and lining of my Neighbour's County and we were both pleased with the outcome.

Other issues with assembly and decoration noted by myself and others during the series have been:- stray paint marks on bodywork, incorrectly aligned lettering and numbering and incorrectly aligned/ assembled superstructure parts - thinking of the Princess Royal which might have struggled to fit continental loading gauge and needed quite major surgery to bring back into 'OO' proportions.

Contributors to this thread have taken these blemishes pragmatically considering the price of the product, and many have  undertaken some laudable modelling to overcome the deficiencies.

Regards,

John

Edited by Brit70053

You would have thought the Home Secretary would have bought a few back with her earlier, or better still got that lorry to the front of the queue....

Knowing our luck, the GBL product might have been removed to allow more of the s***m to fit in.....

"BING-BONG" ;)

Attention Customers awaiting the Brush Type 4 Class 47 Due in the shops Wednesday 19th August. This train appears to be running late....

It has been reported running 7 Days down (late) and the due date is now Wednesday 26th August.

The Locomotion is also running aproximately 7 days late, and is now due on Wednesday 9th September!

(With thanks to 46256!)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What's the running number of the 47 btw please?

Its doubtful if anyone has been able to magnify the magazine image of the model from the website to clearly read the running number.

We also have the extra element of doubt, first encountered with the A2, that the image on the mag cover might not in fact match the model supplied. We'll have to wait and see if/ when it finally turns up, hopefully next Wednesday.

Perhaps some of the swarm were employed to produce GBL models - perish the thought!! What's the running number of the 47 btw please?

As noted above, its not possible to see the number on the cover image, but as its an example with two tone green and a SYP, its got to be anywhere between D1500 - D1999.

Sorry thats not much help....  :jester:

otoh, for Locomotion, its quite easy to spot the running number.....

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 1

As noted above, its not possible to see the number on the cover image, but as its an example with two tone green and a SYP, its got to be anywhere between D1500 - D1999.

Sorry thats not much help....  :jester:

otoh, for Locomotion, its quite easy to spot the running number.....

Er, being pedantic, some of the last Brush-built examples were delivered in rail blue.

But Crewe-built D1100 - D1111 were delivered in green.

• Like 1

Slightly off topic but here are the coaches I purchased yesterday, one was already fitted with working gangways but the other wasn't, this looked odd when coupled together so I fitted the second with working gangways too. Here it is with the newly numbered 41315(smokebox only at the moment)

post-18430-0-40734700-1440176752_thumb.jpg

post-18430-0-15666200-1440176766_thumb.jpg

post-18430-0-16499500-1440176777_thumb.jpg

Edit to remove excessive duplication of the post

Edited by WD0-6-0
  • Like 8

Er, being pedantic, some of the last Brush-built examples were delivered in rail blue.

But Crewe-built D1100 - D1111 were delivered in green.

Thats ok, I was just being simplified-broad-brush!

Its the "is this number/livery suitable for the area/date being represented" question that brings out the frothing at the mouth pedants.  Luckily, that question has not been asked yet!

Never mind, I'm sure I can find a suitable excuse for running a rake of blood'n'custard Mk1 stock behind a FYP Green livery exanple!

• Like 1

Hroth....may I suggest your excuse is you are the chief executive....mechanical engineer and main source of finance for your railway empire....its my excuse for some of my wonderful pairings of locos stock and eras....however the real railway threw up all sorts of interesting combinations...saw a photo recently of a brush 4 travelling north east towards Derby through my modelled location just east of Brum circa 1966....pulling a full set of southern Region green stock. I have renewed friendships recently with a group of friends who regularly spotted at this location. The locos that went through...lines of class 14s for example en route to their new homes in the north east....the problem I now have is purchasing these locos to try and achieve my aim of having one of each type that went through between 1950 and 75.....plus any number of guests like an a2/2....although did hear some eastern Pacifics were trialled for a short time on the north east south west line thru Brum including Gt Northern......ok complete nonsense...but on my railway in addition to above titles also operating manager......must go now to fulfil my main occupation domestic slave....chores the curse of the modelling classes

• Like 2

...Contributors to this thread have taken these blemishes pragmatically considering the price of the product, and many have  undertaken some laudable modelling to overcome the deficiencies...

I truly appreciate that. Had I not already 'filled my boots' with relevant model purchases back in the 'happy time' when Bachmann and Hornby were ludicrously cheap then I might well have purchased  more of the earlier GBL products. Certainly the Director 4-4-0 body mouldings were highly useable, way better than the vast majority of whitemetal kit castings as a starting point to a finished model.

The mazac used in the near useless castings is interesting. It's a better composition than seen from typical China production. If I still had access to an XRD, I'd be looking at its composition to see which one they have used.

• Like 5

?..The mazac used in the near useless castings is interesting. It's a better composition than seen from typical China production. If I still had access to an XRD, I'd be looking at its composition to see which one they have used.

Pity there's no way of melting it all down and using it to create weight blocks and other things.

• Like 1

Whilst we wait the late arrival thought might share latest work on my A2/2 and Lord Nelson. Firstly Wd060... Congratulations on your Gcse results... secondly really like the corridor connection on your carriages..

Onto my pictures the first shows the chassis of Thane of Fife...no show on my order of bespoke A2 wheels so have plodded on with my reduced rim Romfords. The chassis is the Finecast A2...cut and shut a bit like the original.....cylinders comet with my own brass sides. The motion is finecast and comet V2. High Level hi flier gearbox and big Mashima...smooth and powerful. The Nelson has had the boiler replaced along with pipe work and handrails...numbered after my favourite English buccaneer Sir Francis Drake...tender bulbous lump removed and real coal added....on Bachmann chassis..awaiting pennies to buy the loco...anyway hope you enjoy seeing these and they go some way in whiling away the hours until Wednesdaypost-23587-0-88305700-1440335713.jpgpost-23587-0-37201800-1440335734.jpg just spotted the Nelson needs some new transfer lining on tender after a bit of clumsiness yesterday...no use being a twit unless you show it

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I have an unopened copy of Issue 33 the Stanier 8f, SWMBO bought it for me as I had previously bought a couple of the Great Western Locos, but as its outside my interest zone it has just sat in a cupboard unopened. I've listed it on 'Buy & Sell' if anybody is interested.

http://www.rmweb-buyandsell.co.uk/great-british-locomotives-stanier-8f.html

(Edit: Would be willing to swap for the GWR Pannier & Shunter Truck!!)

Edited by Banger Blue
  • Like 1

Is everyone now setting up camp outside?

Nahhhh....

I've got some black bags to drop off at a charity shop, so I'll be drifting through Sainsbugs entrance 10ish, fingers crossed that a. there's two and b. they're okish.

I might make a bit more of an effort for "Locomotion", though I'd have liked to see "Lion" too - they could have used the "Rocket" coach with that too.....

deep breathing exercises......

• Like 1