Great British Locomotives

EddieB

Haven't been able to speak to d-i-l, see Early Risers...

Got my subscription copy today. Looks OK. I fancy an olive version as well, and maybe wartime black. Photos later if anyone wants them (when it stops raining).

• Like 3

Photos later if anyone wants them...

Yes please, and a comprehensive review, but don't let the fact you now have "inside" info go to your head. Otherwise you'll only go running off and set up your own rival forum :)

Cheers

Phil

• RMweb Premium

For some reason "Reply quoting this post" and **Ratings "Friendly/ Supportive" for Post #5455 aren't registering here, but :-

That would be appreciated please Smiffy 2, particularly by those of us hoping for delayed deliveries to arrive this coming Wednesday 15th.

Regards,

John

Edit 

** Now I find the rating will register ???

Edited by Brit70053

Yes please, and a comprehensive review, but don't let the fact you now have "inside" info go to your head. Otherwise you'll only go running off and set up your own rival forum :)

Cheers

Phil

Unfortunately no reply to my email so far...

Photos when I get over my morning.

• Like 1

A couple of photos and some thoughts.

The Nelsons aren't favourite locos of mine - I don't much like Maunsell designs. They are ungainly, badly proportioned and the cabs are just ugly. I once saw a big kid chuck a brick down the chimney of a Nelson from the footbridge at Raynes Park station. Normally I would have been shocked... I think that huge firebox doesn't help, either, making it look shoulder-hunched.

As far as the model goes mine is reasonably well put together apart from rubbish boiler lining and a scratch on the tender... the green is a bit very plasticky and might improve with a coat of matt varnish. The motion needs calming down, as always, but at least we don't have the aluminium wheels on this one. Gloss black instead. I can see that my precious tin of Humbrol oily steel will be coming out of the safe.

The tampo printing is good, suitably fine and looks scale, but the boiler bands are painted a sort of semi-transparent canary yellow. By a person with a shaky hand. Handrails have gone ultra-fine and almost disappeared. The signature melted coal is present.

Overall, at normal viewing distances it looks OK, and it looks like a Nelson, which is a mixed blessing in my eyes, but does need that coat of varnish and some touching up of the paint. I think it would look good in black, or olive, or anything other than shiny malachite plastic. It would look better in a pre-smoke deflector guise as well, but that's just a prejudice of mine.

The nameplate is well printed but in my memory they were a brighter red. And the reversing lever has a kink in it. I think the number on the tender may be too small (I haven't measured it, but looking at photos of E850 in this livery I think it should be bigger)

post-17799-0-19252600-1436789021_thumb.jpg

post-17799-0-59164600-1436789038_thumb.jpg

post-17799-0-32781500-1436789058_thumb.jpg

post-17799-0-04300600-1436789391_thumb.jpg

.... I don't much like Maunsell designs. They are ungainly, badly proportioned and the cabs are just ugly. .....

I've got to stop you there. Maunsell designs were - to my eyes - reasonably well-proportioned and actually looked half-decent, especially compared to Maunsell's successor.

If you want some really awful looking engines, why not try Drummond's various stabs at 4-6-0s?

Thanks smiffy for the photos....it does appear to have a prominent boiler skirt as mentioned in a previous post...the Bachmann version does not appear to have the same ....strange...hope to examine one in the flesh on Wednesday...

Meanwhile, having sawn out the first trio of cooler group grilles, all is not well on the Western Front and I'm starting to suspect I've made a boob on this stage....

attachicon.gifIMG_20150711_235348_1436655276740.jpg

...and the reason for that is because of the space allowed for the grilles on the slanted section of the roof. The grille height (top to bottom if viewed perfectly vertical) should be about 5.3/5.4mm, and there should be a noticeable expanse of roof along the top. I've got a nasty feeling I've not got that, because GBL / Lima have either moved the grilles upwards, or made the grilles too high. I'll make a fill-in strip and see what happens.

Compare with the real thing

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 2

Looking at the photos, it seems that the livery application is a tad slapdash, and the boiler underfilling is reminiscent of an old Triang Princess! (I won't even comment on the strange speckled hump in the tender...)

Looks like another "Last Days of Steam" repaint coming up!

(Refused to quote! - reply to #5460)

Reputedly, they were not only awful to look at, but not much use for pulling trains either*. Wasn't it Drummond who had the cheek to claim Churchward's designs were "Nae bonnie!"

* Their rapid demise would suggest this to be the case. (The quote below refers to LNWR 4-6-0s....)

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

...don't let the fact you now have "inside" info go to your head. Otherwise you'll only go running off and set up your own rival forum...

With at most three more issues to come, there's insufficent fuel to get up enough pressure to achieve escape velocity.

Hmm. Wonder how that'll pan out? 6'8" one side, 6'2" the other?

Be careful what you wish for...

Yeah, if the model maker happens to be channeling Thompson, it could all go very runny...

Edited by 34theletterbetweenB&D

Can I ask for advice. I don't really know the Nelson class?...is the boiler a taper one or parallel? I am already planning a cut and shut if tapered....dear 34c sorry but I have already cobbled together a front footplate extension to convert the peppercorn to Mr thompsons a2/2.. Also fettled out two frames for said beast....will show if and when the GBL model arrives...according to my yeadons 60501 had two a1 boilers during its life...quick disclaimer....however this model turns out it will not equal ones to be seen on other blogs...not even close but as horsetan has said let's enjoy the challenge...or did before the grilles....

The boiler was straight, after all Maunsell could only pinch so much from Churchward...

All had a Belpaire firebox except for 857 which ran with a round-topped firebox for a while.

Some details and photos here

http://www.semgonline.com/steam/lnclass_1.html

thanks smiffy much appreciated not least by my GBL v2 which would have been the donor....in the lucky position, thanks to my friend rowanj of having a resin replacement for the eastern loco....at some stage a double chimney v2 will emerge...but whilst these models keep on coming ..I am already exploring turning the ivatt into the 84xx standard....bought a new razor saw some weeks ago...replacing a 25 year old one...will be getting plenty of use...
  • Like 1

Am I right in thinking that the Southern's Lord Nelsons and the LMS's Royal Scots were locomotive 'cousins', meaning that one was based very closely on the other?

I believe the story is that the LMS approached Swindon to supply castle drawings...not least to frustrate sir Henry fowlers Pacific seeing the light of day. SWindon politely...or not ...refused...Mr Maunsell at the southern was more accommodating...not least a lot of the Lord Nelson class was drawn up...or being built by North British loco builders...who went on to produce the royal scots......the chassis cylinders etc lasted the whole of their lives albeit then allied to the stanier( GWR) boiler......apologies for any inaccuracies...but I think that is the gist of it...whatever in both forms the scots were a great class and owe a lot to Mr m ...who as smiffy rightly mentions...was "influenced" by Mr churchward..

Am I right in thinking that the Southern's Lord Nelsons and the LMS's Royal Scots were locomotive 'cousins', meaning that one was based very closely on the other?

They were cousins of the Castle. 

• Like 3

If you mean that very closely on each other can involve losing a cylinder, having a very different type of boiler, different driving wheel sizes Etc. is close?  Then yes. The story of the L.M.S asking for the Swindon Castle drawings is ????????  The L.M.S. asking about the Nelson drawings? If the Nelson drawings were produced at North British (were any built there? post 5473) As I thought most were built at Eastleigh or Brighton.

IIRC most of the Scot drawings were produced at Derby, with the first one or two batches being built at North British due to Crewe and Derby being full of more other new builds.

IIRC about the only weak spot on the Scots was the axle-boxes (Fowler again). With out getting the books out I think that Stanier did start to introduce his own type of axlebox before the locos got the Stanier tapered boilers. These started to be fitted when the parallel boilers were life expired.

OzzyO. 

• Like 1

If you mean that very closely on each other can involve losing a cylinder, having a very different type of boiler, different driving wheel sizes Etc. is close?  Then yes. The story of the L.M.S asking for the Swindon Castle drawings is ????????  The L.M.S. asking about the Nelson drawings? If the Nelson drawings were produced at North British (were any built there? post 5473) As I thought most were built at Eastleigh or Brighton.

IIRC most of the Scot drawings were produced at Derby, with the first one or two batches being built at North British due to Crewe and Derby being full of more other new builds.

IIRC about the only weak spot on the Scots was the axle-boxes (Fowler again). With out getting the books out I think that Stanier did start to introduce his own type of axlebox before the locos got the Stanier tapered boilers. These started to be fitted when the parallel boilers were life expired.

A quick visit to Wikipedia royal scot class clarifies my original post...which sadly I did from memory...not what it used to be....

OzzyO.